A Little Oil Seepage in This Location...What to Do

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Rider Rick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 934

A Little Oil Seepage in This Location...What to Do

Post by Rider Rick »

Hi all, been awhile, I've been so busy working and sleeping and riding some on weekends I didn't have much to say, probably good for you :). Anyway, changed the plugs this evening and while on the right side and underneath doing the secondary plug, I noticed a little oil seepage. Could tell it was new oil since I only changed a couple weeks ago. It was about a drop or two, and I don't think it has been doing it long because there is no oil where it gets parked in the garage. It is a big torx head bolt that goes into the bottom of the motor. I don't see any oil migrating to that spot from around it. I also didn't have a torx big enough to put in and see if it could be tightened.

Can ayone identify this bolt and tell me why oil could be coming out of it? Thanks.

2004 Red R1150R
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Re: A Little Oil Seepage in This Location...What to Do

Post by sweatmark »

<edit> Never mind - I shouldn't interpret the tiny pic that shows up on my phone.
Last edited by sweatmark on Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
iowabeakster
Quadruple Lifer

Post by iowabeakster »

That is the magnetic plug on the transmission. It is not used to change the transmission oil, but should be pulled and checked every 24,000 miles (I think).

The bummer is that you need to remove the cat. converter to pull it out. Anyhoo... not a big deal... and should be easy to remedy.
I was dreaming when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray...
goomicoo
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by goomicoo »

iowabeakster wrote:
The bummer is that you need to remove the cat. converter to pull it out. Anyhoo... not a big deal... and should be easy to remedy.
Unless you have one of those nifty BMW Trans plug tools! This allows you to drain all the fluid onto your CAT!
Atlantic Blue
2002 R1150R
The bumble bee's gone