New to this forum

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1100R.

Moderator: Moderators

ssgt
Basic User

New to this forum

Post by ssgt »

Hello!
A couple of weeks ago I bought a 2000 BMW R 850 R in nice condition with only 460 miles on the meter. This is my first BMW, I got the drivers license for motorcycles last year and got me a Yamaha Dragstar 650. A friend of mine rides a R1200GS and convinced me in buying a BMW instead. I was going for the R 850 C, but my back just don´t agree with custom bikes, thats partly why I had to get rid of the Yamaha. This one was for sale on the net. I had a look at it and found the riding position fantastic. I really like the looks of it, nothing fancy, just functional, yet so cool.

I haven´t had the time to ride it more than twice, the first thing that had to be done was a tire change (I have never seen such worn out tires) Then the tank and ABS lights went berserk, turned out that there was some jinx with the electrical cables, but still I had to wait three weeks for it to come back from the mechaniks. Same day I got it back, I got the flue. But the second I get well I´ll take her out for a spinn. ;)

As I understand it,this is a forum for R1100R, bus since it´s basically the same bike I undersand that it´s OK for us 850 riders to hang around as well [-o<

Im a beginner to the motorcycle world, my background is with scooters so it feels I have a ton of questions and I hope it´s OK to ask them here.

Appologies for the language, I´m from Sweden by the way.

One first question, and this one i quite embarrasing. I have like really short thumbs :oops: and I can´t for the life of me reach the swiches to the turning indicators, has anybody seen/heard of any extensions for the swiches?

Thx
Ssgt
boxermoose
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: New to this forum

Post by boxermoose »

Nice R-R....welcome to the forum
TANSTAAFL
ssgt
Basic User

Post by ssgt »

Thx Boxermoose
Witch Doctor
Basic User

Post by Witch Doctor »

Welcome, and roll your wrist . . . :D
"You are a unique person, just like everybody else!!” - Warren Miller
Boxerpunk
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by Boxerpunk »

ssgt wrote:One first question, and this one i quite embarrasing. I have like really short thumbs :oops: and I can´t for the life of me reach the swiches to the turning indicators, has anybody seen/heard of any extensions for the swiches?

Thx
Ssgt
That Bagster tank cover looks great; I would spray-paint the other visible red parts flat black as well.
I have the same problem with the indicator switches (with summer gloves it's okay, but wearing wintergloves is a problem)
First I thought of bolting aluminium flaps to the switches, but never tried it.
I am not satisfied with the riding position, with also causes the problem with the switches, and since the bars are not adjustable I will replace them with a superbike handlebar, which should do the trick
Greetz, Erwin

2003 Rockster Full Black
ssgt
Basic User

Post by ssgt »

Witch Doctor
Welcome, and roll your wrist
Boxerpunk
Thanks, I love that bagster, gives the bike an entirely different look. I will have the red on the sides, the tank and the mudguard painted black with red stripes. I haven´t decided if I should make them glossy om matte yet. I have actually allready got the aluminium for the flaps, when I have time I will cut them up to appropiate pieces.

Just figured that there´s a ton of aftermarket stuff out there and you and me are not likely to be the only ones in the world to have this problem. There must be some kind of ready-to-glue/bolt on sulution.

When it comes to handlebars, im thinking of the wunderlich touring bar. I tried my buddies R1200 GS some time ago and theres a handlebar worth the name. Excellent leverage and nice looking.
All these changes will be done during the winter, the summer is to short for that =)

Ssgt