Nova Scotia

Check out what group rides people are planning, or planning to attend! Questions you have BEFORE the ride takes place should go in here.

Moderator: Moderators

TPE3B
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Nova Scotia

Post by TPE3B »

Could not find anything on Nova Scotia here (guess wasn't looking well). I would very much appreciate advice specifically from the R1200R crowd...

I am planning a trip to Nova Scotia in July (from Northern Virginia). Will only have 8 days for all, leaving Wednesday and returning the following Thursday. Planning to board a ferry in Portland Friday morning and leave Nova Scotia on a Bar Harbor ferry the following Tuesday (that's the only way because the ferry schedule is not very convenient, boats don't run every day).

Question - how long does it normally take to circumride Nova Scotia from Yarmouth to Sydney and back? Any advice, insights, please?
tobes
Lifer

Re: Nova Scotia

Post by tobes »

I can't answer the question but I know there are friendly people over on the http://www.bmwxplor.com forums who are familiar with the area. A post there may answer your questions.

http://www.bmwxplor.com/forums/topic/show/3974#new
Mike
Brooksie
Lifer

Post by Brooksie »

taosports
Double Lifer

Post by taosports »

TPE3B wrote:Could not find anything on Nova Scotia here (guess wasn't looking well).
A quick search brought up ride reports from at least 2 members of this forum who were in Nova Scotia. Took me 10 seconds to find them. You did not try very hard.
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

Haven't been since the '80s but took 2 weeks from NC. Of course, I was 2-up, which slows things down some. The best advice I got and that I pass on, is to ride the Cabot Trail counter-clockwise. All the tourist want to ride clockwise to stay away from the edge of the dropoffs. Unless you are nervous about the edge of the road dropping a couple of hundred feet into the ocean, then join the crowd riding clockwise.

Other than that, things have probably changed too much for me to give you much meaningful advice.
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
STDocLizard1
Lifer

Post by STDocLizard1 »

Eight days is a very tight schedule. Been there in '81, '93, & '98. Don't forget your citizenship documentation so you may return to the U.S. and a Canadian MC Insurance Card from your U.S. agent. Exchange rates change hourly so put your expenses on a credit card and let the card company figure it out. Late July and early August are the best times to tour. Weather can be questionable so be prepared.

I agree with Vann that the best way to tour the Cabot Trail is counterclockwise. You want to be off the road after dark because of the Moose in the area. The locals will embrace your arrival, but I have not had a welcome reception in the French settlements(this happened on all 3 trips).

Ride safe.

Doc(Jim)
"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

but I have not had a welcome reception in the French settlements(this happened on all 3 trips).
Interesting observation Jim. On our first trip, the weather was miserable and we stopped in Cheticamp, which is a French settlement and got welcomed into a local eating establishment. Served us great chowder and let us spread out our wet gear all over the empty tables. We stayed for a long while!

Maybe they just felt sorry for the poor idiots riding in the rain and fog! :lol:
Vann - Lifer No. 295
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

wncbmw wrote:
Maybe they just felt sorry for the poor idiots riding in the rain and fog! :lol:
No it was because you were up there in the 70's.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

Actually, Jeff, I was there in the 80s. Still ancient history to you! :P
Vann - Lifer No. 295
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

TPE3B wrote:Could not find anything on Nova Scotia here (guess wasn't looking well). I would very much appreciate advice specifically from the R1200R crowd...

I am planning a trip to Nova Scotia in July (from Northern Virginia). Will only have 8 days for all, leaving Wednesday and returning the following Thursday. Planning to board a ferry in Portland Friday morning and leave Nova Scotia on a Bar Harbor ferry the following Tuesday (that's the only way because the ferry schedule is not very convenient, boats don't run every day).

Question - how long does it normally take to circumride Nova Scotia from Yarmouth to Sydney and back? Any advice, insights, please?
Just a comment or two (I know the thread is out of date):

1. There are no ferries from Bar Harbor or Portland. They don't run every day. That don't run at all. They are gone. Kaput. Passed on. Ended last year. The only ferry is from Saint John to Digby (was on it two weeks ago.)

2. 8 days is cutting it close - lots of miles to get there (1,250 from my house in NJ to the bottom of Cape Breton Island). The Lighthouse Trail on the peninsula (don't make the mistake of calling it an island - you'll be corrected) can easily take 2 days to cover. The Cabot Trail on Cape Breton Island (a don't miss!) is at least 1 day, better done in 2, and best done in 3 taking it clockwise then counterclockwise.

3. The people are WONDERFUL and the seafood is OUTSTANDING, but things are not cheap. Average fillup of my bike cost $18.00 or so ($7 in the US), dinner averaged $50/night, lodging is not cheap ($85-190).

It was one of the very nicest places I've ever ridden.

Some routes, info day by day and pics: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=20813
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

Don't forget to wear your cheap Air Jordans when traveling in Nova Scotia! LOL

I think this may have been a SPAM sandwich! (Two Spams bracketing lots of good info). Funny as he11!