Akrapovic Install and baffle (silencer) removal

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

LumpyCam
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Akrapovic Install and baffle (silencer) removal

Post by LumpyCam »

This is a bit redundant as Talon Six had a great write up a while back (viewtopic.php?f=20&t=20074) but not wanting to let him have all the fun I snapped a few shots of my own install. I spend more time on my bike than looking at it so a pleasing sound is important. Volume is about the same as stock but with much more deep bass, as if it is letting the motor speak unmuzzled.

The Akrapovic comes wrapped up snug. It is very light and when you pick up the box you'll wonder if they forgot to include the muffler. It's there, don't worry.

Take it out and admire the fit and finish.

First job, take off the old exhaust. A 15mm does the trick on the clamp.

A T-45 works here.

The stock pipe slides off without complaint. I was tempted to ride off into the sunset as-is but decided to see what all my money just went to.

Ignored and lonely is the new normal for this guy.

I gave a quick polish to the clamp figuring it would be one of the only times it's off, and it was looking pretty rough.

On with some copper juice.

Spread it around. I'm not sure if this need is unique to titanium.

And you're done!! But wait... there's MORE...

At some point you'll want to give it a go with the baffles removed. this can be a bit tricky. Google is only slightly helpful and the instructions have nothing on this. First remove the locking screws at the pipe bottom.

Some people have success pulling out the baffles with pliers. This might work once you've got them out and can put a bit of oil in but from the factory the fit is tight. They need to be loosened up. I bent up a coat hanger with hooks on each end.

You'll be sliding them in to hook on the in-sides of the baffle.

Here it is in action. Tap them out with something like a hammer and wrench, as shown.

Voila! Your neighbours' best friend.

And your pipes are now just a gaping hole of noise and dirt collection, but they sound bad-ass.

Enjoy!!
Dan
R1200R Alumni
The Daily Rider
NakedRider
Basic User

Re: Akrapovic Install and baffle (silencer) removal

Post by NakedRider »

Way cool!

Do you think you can now remove the rear wheel for tire changes without moving the pipe out of the way?
BMW R1200R - White
LumpyCam
Basic User

Post by LumpyCam »

NakedRider wrote:Way cool!

Do you think you can now remove the rear wheel for tire changes without moving the pipe out of the way?
I think a shuffle might still be required. There's about 2.5" clearance, not sure how that compares to stock.

It definitely is lower profile in terms of how much it sticks our from the bike, however.
Dan
R1200R Alumni
The Daily Rider
seangd
Lifer

Post by seangd »

...wishing there was a sound clip :cry:
"Doogie"
2009 R1200R
Austin Texas
LumpyCam
Basic User

Post by LumpyCam »

seangd wrote:...wishing there was a sound clip :cry:
I'm trying to get my hands on a camera with an external mic input because nothing with a built in mic can capture the real sound these things make, the frequency is just too low. (I have a Sennheiser mic setup in case anyone in Vancouver is willing to stop by with a camera :lol: :lol: )

Here's a before
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8ohecqBr7A

And here's an after
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09sjq8DZuGM

But those don't really capture it. And with the baffles out it is a whole 'nother beast.
Dan
R1200R Alumni
The Daily Rider
Lost Rider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 514

Post by Lost Rider »

NakedRider wrote:Way cool!

You can removed the wheel without taking the Akro off, at least on my bike.

Great exhaust, still sounds the same after many miles.
Get Lost!
fixinbones
Basic User

Post by fixinbones »

looks great. love the dual inlet and outlets. Reminds me of my stock megamoto exhaust.
Jay
2010 S1000RR
2010 Multistrada 1200S
peckhammer
Basic User

Post by peckhammer »

I thought I read that this exhaust lowers HP. Any truth to that?

>--
Peckhammer
http://peckhammer.blip.tv
2007 BMW R 1200 R
2002 GasGas TXT280
1983 Peugeot 103 SP
curmudgeon
Basic User

Post by curmudgeon »

peckhammer wrote:I thought I read that this exhaust lowers HP. Any truth to that?

>--
Peckhammer
I have had one on my `08 for about two years. I rode with the OEM muffler for about 6 months prior to getting the Akrapovic. This is what I noticed:

Baffles In - Better tone but not loud, performs similar to stock at low-to-mid RPM's, increases power at higher RPM's. No noticeable difference in fuel mileage.

Baffles Out - Deep tone, louder than stock but not obnoxious (reminds me of Supertrapp sound). Seems to increase horsepower in mid-to-high RPM's but rolls off the torque a bit and caused stumbling at lower range, noticeably in the EPA-induced off-idle RPM's. The bike ran good as long as I was riding it hard but it was still hesitating some when warm and stumbled noticeably during warmup. Symptoms were still present after allowing several weeks for the ECU to "adapt" so I reinstalled the baffles. Fuel mileage dropped but probably due to me riding it harder to avoid the hesitating. Probably needs the fuel curve richened slightly in the 1000-2800 RPM range to really run correctly without baffles. The EPA needs to gargle with old razor blades. :smt013

I like the looks, tone and lighter weight of the muffler. If I ever get around to doing some non-stock tuning it will be tuned for running without the baffles. Did I mention that the EPA sucks? :-"
2008 R1200R Granite Gray
Lost Rider
Basic User

Post by Lost Rider »

curmudgeon wrote: EPA needs to gargle with old razor blades.

Did I mention that the EPA sucks? :-"

Yeah, how dare they try and keep us from polluting our Earth.
I mean, who the hell are they to inconvenience you with your motorcycle enjoyment?
Ah, but who cares? right? surely one person can't make a difference..... :roll:

I do agree with your baffles in review though. :)
Get Lost!
peckhammer
Basic User

Post by peckhammer »

Thanks for the information. Next question is where to buy one? Where did ya'll get t?

>--
Peckhammer
http://peckhammer.blip.tv
2007 BMW R 1200 R
2002 GasGas TXT280
1983 Peugeot 103 SP
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

[quote="ChiTown" Yeah, how dare they try and keep us from polluting our Earth.
I mean, who the hell are they to inconvenience you with your motorcycle enjoyment?
Ah, but who cares? right? surely one person can't make a difference....[/quote]

Now, if you were a corporation you could pay .00001% of your yearly gross and buy out of the EPA regulations. Add a political contribution or two and everything is OK. Seems like it would be fair if we as individuals could pay a hundred bucks and legally op out of most of the government regs. 8-[
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2020 Guzzi V85TT
BMWMOA 57358
Lost Rider
Basic User

Post by Lost Rider »

mogu83 wrote: Now, if you were a corporation you could pay .00001% of your yearly gross and buy out of the EPA regulations. Add a political contribution or two and everything is OK. Seems like it would be fair if we as individuals could pay a hundred bucks and legally op out of most of the government regs. 8-[

I understand the irony of that statement, and the truth about corps.... but it's easy for me to look out over the valley right now a clearly see all the brown polluted air. That's not from corps., that's from cars and trucks and bikes from people who think their sidestepping emissions don't make a difference.
I'm not some granola eating tree hugger, but I believe that as individuals we should at the very least conform to the best emission standards possible, and not think we can just "buy" our way out of doing the right thing.

I think with the average age of members around here being slightly older than myself, this kind of attitude won't be received well - I think of my "baby boomer" father and his terrible "green" attitude, but it's still up to individuals to make a difference, and we don't need to modify our non-race bikes to squeeze a bit more performance out of them at the cost of adding more pollution.

I might not do everything right, but I do what I can to be eco-freindly, and hatin' on the EPA for doing the right thing and making restrictions isn't cool in my book.
To each their own. :)

Back on topic, Peckhammer, I bought mine from a dealer, and couldn't be happier. I'm sure there's one to be had cheaper online though.

This isn't on the 12R, but a comparison I did with an Akra pipe on the F800R.

The change sounds similar to my 12R.

http://www.vimeo.com/21894116
Get Lost!
ErikM
Basic User

Post by ErikM »

The baffles have zero impact of the emissions of the bike.. The catalytic converter is before the muffler, so an aftermarket pipe with or baffles isn't going to increase air pollution, it may depending on your point of view increase noise pollution but even that's debatable since boxers aren't known for being really loud anyway.
Lost Rider
Basic User

Post by Lost Rider »

ErikM wrote:The baffles have zero impact of the emissions of the bike..

That's obvious, and that's not what my comments were about.
If you just read all of it, I'm talking about the EPA comments, which really have nothing to do with this slip on exhaust. Until you change the bike in ways that will effect emissions to make your bike run better with the baffles out.
Get Lost!
Sander Abernathy
Lifer

Post by Sander Abernathy »

I think it is safe to say we all love motorcycles at least in part because they are mechanical "beasts" that make loud sounds we enjoy. However, when I thrill to the sound of my engine soaring toward redline as I exit a turn, I always feel a bit of guilt that what gives me pleasure is probably annoying someone else. My father had little tolerance for children doing things that annoy people and the aversion to making objectionable sounds and standing where other people are trying to walk remains.

As a city dweller, it bothers me when other people violate local noise ordinances. I live next to a fairly high-end hotel that opened about a year ago and promptly started a regimen of pressure washing their valet parking area on what seemed to be every third Tuesday at 2:15 am...until some crazy guy called the police, got no response, walked over with a pair of scissors and cut the hose. That didn't bring the desired result so they got to try out the pressure washer on something more objectionable. I still can't believe Costco sells maple syrup in five gallon bottles. What a country!

Ironically, I left town two days later, drove six hours in 95+ degree heat through the South Carolina low country to arrive at Kiawah Island which has a very strict but little publicized no motorcycles policy. Thus proving that "Loud pipes ruin vacations." I generally vacation until someone threatens to arrest me. Once I've reached that point, I figure I've reached the limit on my funometer and go home. At Kiawah, I maxed out the funometer before setting foot on the island.

A local nightclub recently invested their profits in a 20-person VIP van with external speakers so they can shuttle their "patrons" to and from the club and other destinations. I sat and watched a police officer do a u-turn, follow the van with music playing loud enough to be heard three or more blocks away at 3:00 am, sit behind it at a stop light and do nothing. I've thought of an ingenious solution to that problem and I really hope I never have the down time required to implement it. If I do follow through on it I will post a video of the results as they will be quite enjoyable.

I'm in no position to lecture anyone since I just put the lives of other people at risk on a public roadway by doing a wheelie and converting my machine into a 500 pound lethal object tumbling out of control down the road. However, no one believes we have a right to ride a motorcycle on public roadways and many people perceive them to be unnecessarily dangerous to the rider, the passenger and those that might get in their way as well as a nuisance. We need to be careful custodians of the privilege to ride.

Then again, I'm pretty pissed at my condominium owners association so maybe I'll just put the muffler in the closet. Does anyone know of someone that can fabricate me a pair of straight pipes that look like the OEM muffler on the MV Agusta Brutale?
2014 R nineT,
2011 Grey Matte R12R, (at the beach)
2011 Red R12R (RIP), &
'09 White R12R (RIP)
celticus
Lifer
Donating Member #: 548

Post by celticus »

What is the weight difference between the new can and the old stock one ?

Mark
What is happening to my skin?
Where is that protection that I needed?
Air can hurt you too
bhope
Lifer
Donating Member #: 865

Post by bhope »

I have always loved the look and sound of the Akrapovic on the R1200R. My question:

What is the life expectancy of the Akrapovic vs the Stock?

I see there are repacking kits being advertised for the Akrapovic, which made me wonder how often these things need repacking. I'm more into riding than maintenance, and don't want to farkle with parts that aren't going to last. Thanks for your input everyone.

Blair
2008 R1200R
British Columbia, Canada
Lost Rider
Basic User

Post by Lost Rider »

I don't know about everyone else, but my Akra can has about 35,000 miles on it and it sounds the same as it did when new.

I thought the Akra can used titanium mesh or something to muffle the sound that never needed repacking, as why they are twice as much as other cans that have fiberglass in them and will need repacking.

I know my cheap Beowulf ($300) exhaust lasted about 10,000 miles on my GS before it became way too loud, while my Arka can hasn't changed a bit on my R.

BTW, I just bought a (used, ebay) Akra can for my GS based on my experience so far on the R.
Get Lost!
Sander Abernathy
Lifer

Post by Sander Abernathy »

ChiTown wrote:I don't know about everyone else, but my Akra can has about 35,000 miles on it and it sounds the same as it did when new.
But the way you baby your bikes that's hardly indicative of what others can expect.
2014 R nineT,
2011 Grey Matte R12R, (at the beach)
2011 Red R12R (RIP), &
'09 White R12R (RIP)