New - Acerbis Hand Guards for R1200R

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

AncientMariner
Lifer
Donating Member #: 783

Re: New - Acerbis Hand Guards for R1200R

Post by AncientMariner »

Don't be put off by the "complexity" of installing the GS handguards. The modifications needed were minimal, and the one piece of fabrication required was very easy. When my farkling is done (for now, that is) I plan on submitting step by steps with pix, prolly in about a week.
'13 R12R Montego Blue
'10 R12R's Black Biarritz Blue RIP
'95 Mystic Red K75
'94 Black HD FXDS
thepeacebullgrunt
Lifer
Donating Member #: 952

Post by thepeacebullgrunt »

Please do AncientMariner and thanks in advance...
Pain is Ignorance this is why it really hurt...
redwing
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by redwing »

How much vibration does the bar end weights take away? How does the cost of the GS hand guards compair to the Acerbis in cost, function, and installation?

Robert
08' R1200R
Sweet...
Peter Baker
Basic User

Post by Peter Baker »

Robert

The handguards incorporate their own bar-end weights to replace the OEM ones that you remove- there is no discernable difference in vibrations.

Peter
Peter
Black R1200R
Devon, England
redwing
Basic User

Post by redwing »

Here's another option... $140.00 ...

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mm5/me ... gory_Code=

Robert
08' R1200R
Sweet...
rtallent
Basic User

Post by rtallent »

Excellent find, redwing! Kinda wish they came in black but these will do very nicely. Thanks :D
Bob
Caroanbill
Lifer

Post by Caroanbill »

Just ordered the Wunderlich hand guards (Clear, PN 8600346)from East Coast BMs in Canberra (Australia). Thanks Redwing! =D>

Found and ordered Wunderlich leg+foot protectors (PN 8600348). I'm glad this full portection is finally available for the R12002 - I've been waiting a while. Pricey but irresistable - thanks Redwing :roll:

For Aussie farkellers put off by Motohansa's execrable service (after spending megabucks there, they decided it was fair enough to treat me like excrement) - Mick Owen http://www.eastcoastbms.com.au/ can supply Wunderlich bits and there is no need to put up with Motohansa's grumpy attitude and poor organisation. IMHO, the business went to pot after Andy Cook went over to Frasers.
#584 Crystal Grey tour-farkelled Vespa GTS250 PX150
xF650CS R1150RS R80 K1100LT R65LS K100RT
rtallent
Basic User

Post by rtallent »

Caroanbill wrote:Just ordered the Wunderlich hand guards (Clear, PN 8600346)from East Coast BMs in Canberra (Australia). Thanks Redwing! =D>

Found and ordered Wunderlich leg+foot protectors (PN 8600348). I'm glad this full portection is finally available for the R12002 - I've been waiting a while. Pricey but irresistable - thanks Redwing :roll:

For Aussie farkellers put off by Motohansa's execrable service (after spending megabucks there, they decided it was fair enough to treat me like excrement) - Mick Owen http://www.eastcoastbms.com.au/ can supply Wunderlich bits and there is no need to put up with Motohansa's grumpy attitude and poor organisation. IMHO, the business went to pot after Andy Cook went over to Frasers.
Great news :D Please post a picture if you can. I'd love to see how the clear ones look mounted.
Bob
Caroanbill
Lifer

Post by Caroanbill »

Price in Australia $221AUD from East Coast BM Delvery in a few weeks (coming from Deuschland)

... plus the clear leg / foot protectors are approx $440AUD from the same source - that's hand / leg / foot fairing for under $700AUD. Quite good value. And I thought my farkelling days were done. :badgrin:
#584 Crystal Grey tour-farkelled Vespa GTS250 PX150
xF650CS R1150RS R80 K1100LT R65LS K100RT
redwing
Basic User

Post by redwing »

Caroanbill... where are the pix??? I think these come in a set and priced like mirrors. Can the hand guards be bought as a single. I have already knocked off 2 left mirrors stopping ... I have a bad left leg (as an artifical leg) and fall easily to the left when stopping. The clear look good. I considered painting them black.
Robert
08' R1200R
Sweet...
hbrandan
Basic User

Post by hbrandan »

Will the Acerbis hand guard work with the Throttlemeister on the 1200R?
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

hbrandan wrote:Will the Acerbis hand guard work with the Throttlemeister on the 1200R?
Hi - new here?

I don't have them, but the photos on the Wunderlich website show show handguards that don't come near the bar-ends. The Acerbis appear to fasten TO the ends of the bar, replacing the stock bar-ends, which I suspect (you might contact them and ask) obviates the use of a Throttlemeister..
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
rtallent
Basic User

Post by rtallent »

I heard from Wunderlich yesterday that the set of tinted handguards I ordered a while back finally shipped :D Now that Spring's finally sprung around here I'm in less of a rush to mount them and will have time to decide if I want to paint them black or not (or maybe some other color?).
Bob
Oaktown
Lifer

Post by Oaktown »

The Acerbis look so much better matched to the design of the R than the GS guards I have on now, I ordered them yesterday from Motostrano (lowest price I found). The clincher was the LED strips; I hope I can keep the Canbus happy. Trivia: it's pronounced Ah-chair- bees.
peckhammer
Basic User

Post by peckhammer »

Oaktown wrote:The Acerbis look so much better matched to the design of the R than the GS guards I have on now, I ordered them yesterday from Motostrano (lowest price I found).

What did they cost you? I just picked up a set at Ride West BMW for ~$144 plus tax.

>--
Peckhammer
http://peckhammer.blip.tv
2007 BMW R 1200 R
2002 GasGas TXT280
1983 Peugeot 103 SP
Oaktown
Lifer

Post by Oaktown »

Dual Road (BMW kit) = $125.96 + tax
LED strip = $26.96 + tax
peckhammer
Basic User

Post by peckhammer »

I had a chance to install the Hand Guards today, more or less...

It appeared to me that BMW bars preclude using any of the Acerbis hardware that came in the package -- unless I wanted to cut off the bar-end welds -- which I didn't. I used the stock BMW bar-end bolt, a lock washer, a small bit of heater hose and some lock-tight. The lock washer was to put some tension on the bolt. Same for the 1/2" piece of heater hose I placed over each bar-end, which also hides the metal showing between the hand-guard and the hand-grip. I am probably over-looking some obvious shortcomings in this install -- especially since the Acerbis hardware is designed to index the handguards position and prevent it from moving. I supect that you could move the hand-guard up or down with my install, if you apply enough force.

So how did the rest of you install them?

>--
Peckhammer
2007 BMW R 1200 R
2002 GasGas TXT280
1983 Peugeot 103 SP
CW_Bang
Basic User

Post by CW_Bang »

My Acerbis h/guards came with their own short, stubby bar-end wt. You take the BMW one off and install the Acerbis one along with the handguard with the provided bolt. 2 minutes per side..

I ordered mine from NipNorman. $113.00 at the current exchange rate, shipping inculded to the N. GA. mountains.. :D
peckhammer
Basic User

Post by peckhammer »

CW_Bang wrote:My Acerbis h/guards came with their own short, stubby bar-end wt. You take the BMW one off and install the Acerbis one along with the handguard with the provided bolt.
I gotta be missing something then. There are two sets of what could pass for bar end weights, designed for open-end tubular bars. Problem is, the BMW bars on my bike are not open-ended; they have a stepped down, threaded tube welded to the end, which the BMW bar-end weight slips over. If you use the Acerbis-supplied 4 inch long bolts, which are unthreaded for 2 3/4" of their length, then you'd have at least 2 inches of bolt sticking out from each side -- unless you cut off BMW's stepped down threaded tube welded at the end of the BMW bars and slipped the bar-end, bolts, and spreaders inside the handlebar tube.

Is there a different version of this kit?
2007 BMW R 1200 R
2002 GasGas TXT280
1983 Peugeot 103 SP
CW_Bang
Basic User

Post by CW_Bang »

The Acerbis bar end wt slips over the threated tube just like the bmw wt. You sure you got the right Acerbis h/guards for the R12R. Mine were Acerbis part# 0013486.090.