Three Days and Four Corners

This section is for people to post trip writeups and pictures AFTER the trip is over.

Moderator: Moderators

BobFV1
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Three Days and Four Corners

Post by BobFV1 »

Wife and I wanted to get away for a bit on the RT, so we loaded up the RT (including Givi V-46 top box) and Friday morning left the Phoenix area, rode up through the White mountains of Arizona and stayed just outside Canyon de Chelly National Park in Chinle, Arizona. Interesting, it was local high school grad night and they closed off the inner canyon to prevent local grads (mostly Navajo indians) from going in there and drinking and whooping it uip.

Got up early on day 2 and rode to four corners monument (point where Utah, Colorado, Arizona, and New Mexico come together), then on to Cortez, Colorado. In Cortez, we stopped for lunch at the local park where they were having a hot rod show and weenie roast. We continued up to Durango, Colorado, checked in to our hotel, then hopped back on the bike for a breathtaking ride up to Silverton, where we spent an hour or so before heading back down the hill to Durango. People talk about the train ride from Durango to Silverton - well the hour or so motorcycle ride over twisties and a dual summit over 10,000 feet high was spectacular in it's own right.

Spent Saturday night in the Strater hotel in downtown Durango (I'll never drink again) - then got up early Sunday and rode down to four corners and looped up in to Southern Utah to Monument Valley - spectacular scenery, empty roads - great ride!

Headed back across the Hopi Indian reservation on US 160, picked up US 89 and hooked it up South to Phoenix.

Sorry - got photos but I managed to format my memory card while trying to download it. D'oh!

Great ride - beautiful area. Deserves more time and we will definitely make it back up there.

By the way - more Colorado State Troopers than any other LEO group I've seen in a long time - those guys must have been making theor overtime for the year this weekend!
Last edited by BobFV1 on Mon May 30, 2005 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
2006 R1200GS ADV "Five Charlie"
1MPH
Lifer

Post by 1MPH »

I love that ride , four corners, durango, silverton, ouray, ridgeway,
telluride, stoner, rico, cortez. Usually do it at least once a year. This
year have a wedding in San Diego to go to. Maybe I'll do it a little later.
Anyways nice write up glad you enjoyed the trip.
Jack
Mill Valley, California
2004 R1150R Piedmont Red
taosports
Double Lifer

Post by taosports »

Sorry - got photos but I managed to format my memory card while trying to download it. D'oh!
You still can recover those photos if you want...and it's easy. Just need recovery software such as :

http://www.digitalfilm.com/software/image_rescue.html

I've recovered images I've shot months ago. Every one of those photos are still on your memory card even if you've formatted it.