Memorial Day in the Alps

This section is for people to post trip writeups and pictures AFTER the trip is over.

Moderator: Moderators

Parkblu
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Memorial Day in the Alps

Post by Parkblu »

Memorial Day Greetings from Munich/Bavaria! (that would be south of Germany, I believe.)

Reason I'm here: my mom lives south of Munich and has a health problem, so I had to make an impromptu trip from Fla to Munich last week.

I had the best intentions to ride a BMW while being here. I checked with BMW Niederlassung (a company-owned dealership) on Frankfurter Ring in Munich, (whose prices have gone up again !), and a new discovery, Tommy Wagner BMW in Gräfelfing just outside of Munich - the nicest people and better prices than BMW.

But: a friend insisted on parking his bike in our garage (Honda Transalp, a Dual Sport). I did two great tours two days in a row: Friday by myself, about 225 mi through the Bavarian and Austrian Alps southwest of here to the "Namlos"-valley, and then Saturday 350 mi with a close friend who rides an RT as if it's a sportbike, to the Krimmer Waterfalls in the Austrian Alps. Glorious, both days. (I'm on an old slow laptop here and don´t have the pix on it, but I should be able to post them later. If you want to map the locations: Namlos/Austria and Krimmer Wasserfälle near Gerlos/Austria).

Interesting observation: here you see approx. 25-30% Bee Emms, of which approx. 40% must be GS - new, old and very old. The rest are KTM, some Japanese, a good share of Italians (Ducatis, Guzzis, MVs, some Aprilias), and occaisonally you'll even see a cruiser, HD or metric. Dual sports (or Enduros, as they are called in German) and then sport bikes are clearly the bikes of choice in this terrain.

If one of you ever plans to ride the Alps, do let me know - I'll be more than happy to give you pointers.

Have a great Memorial Day,

-Tobias.

23:30 CET, wanted to post a few pix, but I don't see any upload options. Perhaps a Mac/Firefox problem. I'll have to check the FAQ I guess.
Last edited by Parkblu on Mon May 30, 2005 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

I'm sitting here in Atlanta right now with drizzling rain everywhere and wishing I was YOU!

Sounds like a great time! Look forward to some photos when you get back.

Thanks.