Returned from Torrey 1st report

This section is for people to post trip writeups and pictures AFTER the trip is over.

Moderator: Moderators

DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by DJ Downunder »

DJ,

You is da man! - thanks for sharing that vid.

Many of us wished you were there DJ - along with our Lord Pat and other esteemed Board members. Next year?????
Thanks Bob....maybe marko and I will do a trip one day....you guys are always welcome if you venture down under.

btw you pictures are fantastic....coffee book quality.

DJ
Rootin55

Post by Rootin55 »

We made it home late yesterday, I'm still vibrating. Was my pleasure to meet everyone. Will post some pics later. Best I can tell at this point is about 3190 miles per the odo and 3100 per the GPS. Later
vintagecycle
Basic User

Post by vintagecycle »

Woah! Rootin, all the way from Texas?! Which one were you? Did I meet ya?
We gotta get names matched to the group photo.
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

Rootin was that mystery RT rider in Bob's photo above. That's the first tim e I've seen the RT. I love my R1150R black beauty, but I secretly lust after an RT.....Please don't tell her.

Nice pics. Wish I could have been out there to see some of that snow.
Rootin55

Post by Rootin55 »

The pics on Photobucket are in reverse order in relation to the trip. Instead of posting 35 pictures, here is a link that I disabled the password to. If you are unable to get in, I will try to rectify. A quick run down to the numbered pictures. 37 is home with all the bug goo. 35 shows 3193 miles RT per the odo and 3111 per the GPS. 32 & 33 was a stop on I-20 on our last day riding home. Damn it was windy thru this area, thus the wind power....add the grooved interstate they were working on and it had our attention. 21 thru 31 was the Saturday 250 mile jaunt with a few friends I finally got to meet in Torrey, went into Brice. 17-20 was at Austin's in Torrey. 14-16 was our last leg getting into Torrey. 10-13 was our only stop on the "Million Dollar Hwy" from Dugango to Ouray. I will probably elect NOT to ride that again......I have pucker marks on my seat I still need to clean off. 7-9 was a high mountain pass off 160 close to Pagosa Springs.....Wolf Creek Pass I think. GPS showed 11,200' elevation, one of the locals where we stopped once off (Pic 9) said we got to 11,400' at one point. We stopped here to put on more clothes. Dayum it was cold. 3-6 was somewhere between Taos and Durango. 1 & 2 was a stop where we were to get on I-25 just South of Las Vegas NM. Met this feller on a 1965 R69 that has 97K on the odo. I will post a few of the pics here too.

Once again, had a great time and was a pleasure meeting everyone. Wish we had more time to visit.

http://photobucket.com/albums/y77/Rootin55/

The R69
[img][img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/Ro ... r_0002.jpg[/img][/img]

Dayum it was cold.....11,200' per GPS
[img][img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/Ro ... r_0008.jpg[/img][/img]

Last time I saw legs like these was at Popeye's.....they were covered in batter.
[img][img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/Ro ... r_0017.jpg[/img][/img]

Line up, my RT closest
[img][img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/Ro ... r_0020.jpg[/img][/img]
Britnheaven
Triple Lifer
Donating Member #: 246

Post by Britnheaven »

Last time I saw legs like these was at Popeye's.....they were covered in batter.
I resemble that remark!

:smt087
Bob the Madd Brit loose in CA....

Double Lifetime Member # 246
wncbmw
Lifer

Double Bash attendee

Post by wncbmw »

Hey Rootin55 - Aren't you the only board member to make an eastern Bash (2004) and the western one?

If we keep up the Bash tradition for a couple of more years, maybe I will have the time to do that, maybe even in the same year!
dkwracer

Departure from Torrey, would You believe?

Post by dkwracer »

Another great story from Torrey.
In our exit from Torrey, LT1 and I, LT2 happened upon the Texaco station in Torrey, there and only there, was this lonely BMW rider.. Nate. And so I happened upon him to join us in our return to Denver.
After leaving Torrey we ventured to Hanksville and turned north to Green River, our hopes where to find the entrance to the Northernmost outlook NW of Moab, into the Canyon-lands below.
After exiting the I-70 offramp for Moab, within 100 yds. here stands this lonely KTM rider (640ccc) outa gas!!! When parlaying the situation, it appears he rode all the way from Salt Lake City, 240 miles only to find empty bottom! And yet , Green River was 12 miles in his arrears..Lest we pay attention to keeping the "top-half full"....
Like true BMW soldiers, we syphoned gas for him from three "full" BMW's
I will coin him "Sancho Panza" tho he was from Poland and desired to ride the DAKAR!!!!
In any event, I and my new-found friend, Nate, ventured into the unknown, to look and see for yourself.....it did happen, and we saw ARCHES........
He left us @ approx 4 pm,I surely hope that he made it Home Safe...
BMW's meen Nothing!!! Desire has it's own way, but believe me I sure like the Beakster......Tom..........
Rootin55

Post by Rootin55 »

WNCBMW, I did go to Deal's Gap last year. I was hoping that Bill would attend both so as to have a common reference for the same year. After 2 days home, I feel suprisingly good, but not sure if I would feel good enough to do the same trip that soon. Work and family becon as well.