Page 1 of 1

top case for R1150R

Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:38 pm
by mcollect
I would like to add a top case to my RR, what I want is to add it insuch a way that it doesn't hang off the back. I ride solo only and I thought someone on this board would have done something similar. I am looking at a givi 52 and the topbox mount. Can I mount this setup where the pillian would go. Other ideas are more then welcome! :?:

Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:15 pm
by NoRRmad
I'd be interested in this, too. I'd like something that stayed close to the 'luggage plate' you can get from BMW. Maybe it could act as a solo backrest. Maybe it could secure to the bike the same way the rear seat does. You could unlock it from the bike with the ignition key and just walk away with it. (But then I realized you'd be leaving your rear compartment -- tools, maybe registration and insurance papers -- uncovered. Maybe you have to carry around another cover plate.) Maybe it'd be just narrow enough to let your hand in to unlatch the side bags, but pretty wide to hold a sleeping pad sideways. Not too tall.

So far, I just bungee gear in waterproof bags across the luggage plate, above the side cases and take it all in at the motel. But I'm interested. If there's a case like that out there, I'd like to know.

Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:27 pm
by MIXR
What you want doesn't exist. Most searches for a seat bag will come up with something that does the job on the cargo plate or even the pillion seat. There have been a couple of seat pods made by various manufacturers, but they were so expensive that they don't seem to have lasted in the market very long.

There is a storage pod made by Ztechnik that looks ok, but is also pricey. It has a semi-firm neoprene shell.

Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:32 pm
by NoRRmad
Yeah, I've seen those. They're designed as a way to sneak some locked space onto a bike, without letting anybody know they're not a racing seat fairing...

Not designed to hold significant gear, so too expensive for what you get. I really wish somebody would design a good topbox for the R. But I've not seen any for any bike that worked for the solo rider.

Maybe nobody want to admit they usually travel alone.

Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:59 pm
by owldaddy
One thing to keep in mind is you have to throw a leg over that area when you mount the bike, I got the cargo cover plate just to lower the soft bag I put on the back seat area. I think a large bag would be tough to get a leg over. I'm not as flexible as I once was............. A tall box would definitly be out for me.

Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:25 pm
by johno
I have the Givi topbox, and adaptor to the R rack, and I moved my adaptor as far forward as I could get it. Put it about 4" further forward than the standard position, but leg over is a problem if not concentrating.
It definately looked better ballanced than the stock possy, not hanging out the back.

Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:11 pm
by cbesey
This comes up every so often here and on other beemer boards - often 'cause I'm always dying for one and ask again :lol: . Until I manage to design something and find a place to get it fabbed - which was discussed on the most recent locking trunk thread here - I've made due with a Chicane Summit bag and a Rockster plate replacing the pillion seat. Not locking, not solid, but gets the job done and is pretty good size. Not too bad to swing a leg over too and I'm only 5-9.

The were rumblings (maybe on advrider) of a unit being available in Japan, but about $1K and they weren't exporting anyway.

If anyone ever finds a solution, please post it!

Chris

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:35 am
by Airman
The best I've seen was done by one of the members here. He built a custom bracket to allow the mounting of the 31 liter RT top case. Looked like it was made for the bike. It's a more expensive box though. He used the stock RT mount as well allowing the case to be locked on or removed easily.

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:58 am
by hirsty
It's not exactly what you're after, but I've only ever seen soft bags that sit on the back seat like this:

Image

That's from Bags Connection, a German firm, and their Distributors are here:
http://www.bags-connection.com/out/oxba ... bmw_p2.jpg


Might not be big enough, but Pacsafe also do a semi-rigid tailpack (or tank bag) with their steel mesh woven in, which can be tethered to the bike more securely. I have a couple of their nets/cords and it's good stuff:

Image

http://www.pac-safe.com/www/index.php?_ ... tivityList

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:48 am
by stig
Untill I recently fitted a Givi 460, I mounted my Givi tankbag to the pillion seat. That was effective and unobtrusive, as a tankbag can be on the tank. I ride solo 90% of the time but I have just upgraded to the Top box over the back and system cases.
That's what happens when your mate has an RT.

Go the top box, you wont be sorry!

F650 topbox

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:50 pm
by chris
Anyone know if the small topbox from an F650 can be mounted on the R rack somehow? My mate has one on his 650 and it's the perfect size for me. one on ebay right now as well!