Page 1 of 2

Hugger

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:38 am
by fly
Nippy Normans lists a hugger for the R1200R http://www.nippynormans.com/prodinfo.as ... 0&mitem=56

but indicates that it is not suitable for export out of Europe. Any particular reason for this or is there a hugger available from a supplier in North America yet?

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:00 pm
by celticus
NOT SUITABLE FOR EXPORT OUT OF EUROPE

What the heck does that mean?

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:43 pm
by fly
celticus wrote:NOT SUITABLE FOR EXPORT OUT OF EUROPE

What the heck does that mean?
That's what I was wondering - thought it would be a good looking and useful piece. AFAIK, the bikes destined for North America are the same as sold in Europe. Perhaps it is made from some top secret EU fiberglass formula.

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:59 pm
by DJ Downunder
I think it means 'Do not sell in the USA'...because if it breaks they will sue their arses off.. :D

...or even if they hurt their finger mounting it..they will sue their arses off....am I close.. :wink:

DJ

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:50 pm
by iowabeakster
DJ,

I have contacted my lawyer regarding your slanderous comments about us Yanks.

:wink:

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:29 am
by celticus
What ? Do we Americans have the reputation of being litigious sissies?

Mark

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:14 am
by fly
I queried Normans on the reasoning and received an email this morning that it is simply because of the size and cost of shipping. They will ship but the cost will be 55 GBP. I think for the time being I'll wait and see what comes available on this side of the pond.

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:35 pm
by Grrl
*gasp*

I believe I will need a moment.. ahem.

That is flat-out sexy!!!

..still gasping for air...

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:14 am
by fly
BoxerDesign has one among their list of accessories for the R as well. Follow http://www.boxer-design.us/model_overview.htm and click on the R1200R

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:57 pm
by celticus
All of the huggers I have seen advertised are pretty expensive. I'm not sure if I like the one at Boxer Designs quite as much as the one at Nippey
Normans. But if wimmin find them sexy........I might could use the advantage.
Mark

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:24 pm
by fly
celticus wrote:All of the huggers I have seen advertised are pretty expensive. I'm not sure if I like the one at Boxer Designs quite as much as the one at Nippey
Normans. But if wimmin find them sexy........I might could use the advantage.
Mark
Mark, I agree the one at Normans is the better looking. As much as I'm tempted to comment on the inherent value of having a naked SV rider find it sexy...I best keep clear of that. :biggrin:

$$$$$$

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:48 pm
by OU812
Wow, that is alot of $ for those 8) parts. Can't anybody make them in the states? I guess we have outsourced everything. :oops:

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:59 pm
by celticus
I also have a semi-naked SV in my garage and know of the bike's value. On the riders....all I know is that they've chosen well.
Mark

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:34 pm
by PhilSB
I have just fitted the Nippy Normans hugger and it is catching the shocker plastic cover. It gives quite a squeak when I go over a bump in the road.

I had a "knock! knock!" speed related noise one evening. I stopped but couldn't see anything and eventually returned home thinking it was the bevel drive or something. As I came to my street the noise stopped :roll: I think it must have been a stone caught in the brake calliper. What a relief!

Phil

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:11 am
by celticus
I have found a hugger at Ilmberger's. Looks like it will be around $318. Does this seem high to you or about right or at least "if you want it that's what you pay".

Mark

Hugger

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:05 pm
by P_Jensen
You may want to contact Adventure Motorcycle Gear http://www.adventuremotogear.com/
They stock Pryamid Plastics Huggers, available in Fiberglass or Carbon Fiber. I think that is the same company that Nippy Norman Stocks. Also on one of the sites (not sure which one) it said for the R1100S you needed to remove the Plastic shock Protector to use the Hugger, that could be the noise you hear.

Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:43 am
by celticus
At that site they do not list our bike. Would one from one of the other models fit ours? The K1200RS perhaps?

Mark

Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:25 am
by Skippy
K1200rs is highly unlikely as the drivetrain is on the other side. R1200S or R1200GS will do I think.

Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:15 pm
by celticus
I guess I just fat fingered that. I never for a minute thought the RS and the new R would be similar. I used to own an RS and my fingers are used to typing RS.

Mark

Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:19 pm
by Skippy
Sorry for the long links. Several brands and types of huggers for the GS so if anybody over there can verify that these would fit the R too then there will be plenty of options over there in the U.S. Best bet probably will be Sierra BMW to ask if the GS huggers will fit the R to.


http://www.sierrabmw.bigstep.com/item.j ... ID=1505194

http://www.amotostuff.com/Merchant2/mer ... mw_r1200gs

http://www.whaccessories.com/BMWAccessories.htm

http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=44488

http://www.revsperformance.com/pyramid/ ... uggers.htm