Page 1 of 1

Can't adjust idle

Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:25 pm
by gel9001
Anyone have any idea why I can't increase the idle of my engine when I adjust the Big Brass screws? I connect up my twinmax with the engine at operating temperature and i can synch throttle bodies justfine and at 3500 rpm just fine. However, I can't raise throttle about 1K rpm. Any suggestions appreciated. Bike is 04 with 20K

Gene

Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:52 am
by mcmarcia
Just a guess, but I suspect the valves could need some adjusting. I did a full tune last week on my bike. All the valves were 2-3000 out and after setting to fac spec, the bike now idles at 1200. Prior to the work, I could not get the idle below 1500 regardless of the brass screw positioning. I wonder if you are tight? I am also at 9500 ft altitude. I am new to these bikes. I bet some of the "r gurus" will give you some insight.

Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:59 am
by Boxer
Take the BBBPSs all the way out and clean them off with WD-40 or something. Put them back in. Seat them lightly then back them out evenly to about 1 full turn, then hook up the Twin Max and start from there with the fiine tuning.

Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:09 am
by taosports
Gene,

Good advice so far...make sure valves are properly adjusted on a cold engine and the BB screws are clean and properly seated. Then with warm engine and TwinMax hooked up, start adjusting the BBS until you have both zero balance and the correct idle speed. Unscrew (allowing more air) both BBS for faster idle. Try to keep both BBS within 1/4 turn of each other when you do this. You want your idle speed @ 1,000 - 1,200 rpm.

Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:34 pm
by gel9001
thanks guys, I've taken off my valve covers 3 times to confirm that valve clearences are where they should be. I've also cleaned the Big Brass Screws to no avail. I'm thinking its the tps, but that I don't know how to adjust. I believe a multimeter is involved.

thanks,

Gene