Safely adjusting banjo bolts

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Soliton

Safely adjusting banjo bolts

Post by Soliton »

I have fitted new bars to the bike. Unfortunately this puts the brake and clutch hoses at an awkward angle where they exit the metal sleeve from the banjo fitting. Is it possible to very very gently loosen the bolt and adjust it, or am I going to get air in the line and end up needing to bleed the brakes, clutch or both.

I have already adjusted the controls and the bar angles.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Sol
"Better to live rich than die rich."
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Safely adjusting banjo bolts

Post by riceburner »

If you loosen it, I'd think you'd need to bleed it again. Better to be safe that way than not.

Which bars did you fit?
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Bogdan
Basic User

Post by Bogdan »

I had to do just that when installing hand guards meant for a GS. When loosened slightly,... the banjo bolts leaked fluid a tiny amount, but the system did not need bleeding. Seems pressure pushes fluid out, but does not let air in.
Soliton

Post by Soliton »

I put a set of mirror polished (polishing them was a bit of a chore) rockster bars on it. They look great and let me drop the angle a bit but I think I may need to put on some steering stop guards. The Rock bars do not have the same rise and pullback as the R bars and this places them closer to the tank, at full lock the indicators touch.
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Soliton wrote:I put a set of mirror polished (polishing them was a bit of a chore) rockster bars on it. They look great and let me drop the angle a bit but I think I may need to put on some steering stop guards. The Rock bars do not have the same rise and pullback as the R bars and this places them closer to the tank, at full lock the indicators touch.
Just twist them a touch up. The Rockster bars do bring the indicator switches VERY close to the tank.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Soliton

Post by Soliton »

Thanks guys,

I have rolled the bars up a tad but I think I will wait until next service to get the bolts adjusted, call me a wuss but having to bleed the brakes or clutch is a hassle I don't want at the moment.

Rs,

Sol
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Soliton wrote:Thanks guys,

I have rolled the bars up a tad but I think I will wait until next service to get the bolts adjusted, call me a wuss but having to bleed the brakes or clutch is a hassle I don't want at the moment.

Rs,

Sol
It's not always a 5 minute job.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life