Replacement stainless steel handlebar/ brake caliper bolts

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1100R.

Moderator: Moderators

Gregorsamsa
Basic User

Replacement stainless steel handlebar/ brake caliper bolts

Post by Gregorsamsa »

My Y2K R1100R is looking a bit tatty in terms of its fasteners, namely brake caliper bolts and the four (total = 8x) that mount the (things that pass for) handlebars to the top yoke. Anyone out there got any experience of swapping out these fasteners? Any recommended suppliers?

On making some initial enquiries on the web, I see all sorts of weird and wonderful comments re. relative tensile strengths of stainless vs. OEM plated steel components. It would seem to some that to replace these items with stainless will mean certain failure / death! :shock: I've replaced OEM steel bolts with stainless items on bikes I've owned previously, certainly reasonably highly stressed handlebar / wheel clamp bolts on old Brit bikes (an Enfield Bullet and a Bonneville) with no probs, but have never replaced brake caliper bolts so would welcome comments on this subject from members in this usually savvy community.
RSMike
Basic User

Re: Replacement stainless steel handlebar/ brake caliper bol

Post by RSMike »

I would say well worth doing, When I purchased my 96 about 8 weeks ago, I was concerned if I had made the right decision because there was some noticeable corrosion. The good news was all of it cleaned up with a bit of elbow grease. I replaced my front engine bolts with SS ones from Motorworks in the UK as they were particularly bad, some of the others like the brake calipers I cleaned up with a standard electric drill and small wire brush attachment, then touched these up with either paint or lacquer.

Have not come across any details previously regarding SS bolt having poor tensile strengths for brake caliper bolts. But, if Motorworks supply a kit that includes the brake caliper bolts, then that would be good enough for me. Their kits are at this link: http://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop/ ... 5_30_WA_30
They do not specifically list an 1100R kit but I would guess their 1100GS kit would match, drop them a note and I'm sure they will be only too happy to confirm and if the brake caliper bolts are included.

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers

Mike
1996 R1100R Artic grey
2012 F650GS SE