Shortening Rear Fender

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1100R.

Moderator: Moderators

smutny
Basic User

Shortening Rear Fender

Post by smutny »

Now that I have a few months on the bike (2000 R1100R), and my replacement tank, side panels and front fender have arrived (going from dented & scratched blue to straight and shiny white pinstriped black), I'm starting to pull together the list of changes to be done while I have the bike stripped.

I'd like to cut the rear fender to just below the license plate. Has anyone done that and experienced a considerable increase in the spray kicked up on them? What's the "critical point" where the fender becomes useless?
John Smutny
2000 R1100R
captaincable
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1050

Re: Shortening Rear Fender

Post by captaincable »

If you look up some of CycleRobs posts I have seen pix of his bike with a bobbed rear fender.
Mike
Lowzero2
Basic User

Post by Lowzero2 »

Took 5 mins to cut off just below plate. Can't advise about spray but I haven't noticed a significant increase either. I don't have a rear picture but here is a side view.

smutny
Basic User

Post by smutny »

Thanks, Lowzero2, that's the look I'm going for. In more ways than just the fender, I'm planning on a few of the cosmetic changes you've done.

Seeing how cheap used replacement fenders are, if it turns out to be a bad idea up here in Seattle for the Winter, I may just swap out a longer one in the Fall and back to the shorter one come Spring.
John Smutny
2000 R1100R
garraper
Basic User

Post by garraper »

Lowzero2, the first thing i did was junk the canister on my r1100r. it will crap up u r injectors or gas tank. Bike looks great.