Rocky Mountains here I come...but I need advice

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

seangd
Lifer

Rocky Mountains here I come...but I need advice

Post by seangd »

2nd week in August, 3 of us will be starting out at Pikes Peak, then taking 119/72/7 up to Estes Park, then heading southwest down to Aspen by way of Glenwood Springs.

My real question is, what can we expect temperature-wise? I can look at Wikipedia and see the "average temps" but I'd like to hear from some locals. I'm riding a BMW R1200R with a Wunderlich fairing. I have 2 jackets, one thick winter Rev-it! and one summer jacket with a liner, also a Rev-it!. How hot is it going to get? I'm from Austin, so 85 degrees is not hot. We're dealing with multiple 100 degree days in a row now. At 11:30pm last night it was 94.

Should I bring the heavy winter jacket? Or should I bring the summer with the liner. I feel like it's good down to around 50-55 with the liner in. No night riding will be done. What do you CO people say?
"Doogie"
2009 R1200R
Austin Texas
mogu83
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Rocky Mountains here I come...but I need advice

Post by mogu83 »

I was just there. Had a Tourmaster without a liner, a T-shirt, a denim shirt and a sweatshirt. It got down into the low forties a few times but warmed up quickly. I also saw a few hundred degree days and the tourmaster with the vents open over a T-shirt did the trick. I was cool a few times but never really cold and hot a few times but didn't fall off the bike. I would likely go with the summer jacket with a liner and a sweatshirt or woolen shirt.
BTW: Consider taking Rt34 West from Estes and through Rocky Mountain National Park, it would be a shame to miss that ride seeing that you will be right there.
Last edited by mogu83 on Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
Karamazov
Lifer
Donating Member #: 540

Post by Karamazov »

I would likely go with the summer jacket with a liner and a sweatshirt or woolen shirt.
BTW: Consider taking Rt34 West from Estes and through Rockey Mountain National Park, it would be a shame to miss that ride seeing that you will be right there.
+1, +1

I was there in late spring. Temps ranged from mid-nineties to upper-forties, depending on altitude. I'd probably wear the summer jacket and keep the liner/layers handy. I wear a Street Guard 3, without the liner and never stopped to adjust anything. I was pretty comfortable the whole time, save for a couple of minutes in a few passes. And Harry is right, missing Rocky Mountain National would be a shame. We took 14 west out of Fort Collins, all the way to Walden for a nice lunch, 125 to Granby, then 34 to Estes. It was a 200+ mile loop, IIRC. I could have spent another week there, easy :)

Outside of Walden:

N8
- '14 Dark White
- '14 R NineT
- '12 R1200R Classic
- '07 R1200R (Caged)
Catchina
Lifer
Donating Member #: 998

Post by Catchina »

I was just there for two weeks. It all depends on the altitude, I ran into days where is was in the 80's to the 40's within just a few hours ride. Also count on some cold rain at times and be prepared for that, pop up showers are localized and appear quickly so I couldn't always rely on checking the radar to see it coming. I used this map and I highly recommend it http://www.butlermaps.com/Motorcycle-Ro ... lorado-Map

After Estes and Rocky Mountain National Park if you are going to Aspen you should consider coming in from the east via independence pass on rt 82, that ride is spectacular. From 70 take 24 south through Battle Mountain Pass go past Leadville till you hit 82 and head west to Aspen. Have fun!

2011 R1200R RED
1996 Virago XV 750
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

That's around the Maroon Bells, right? then head over to 133, come down a bit and take Co 92 east along the north side of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison. Agree with recs for clothing and I am jealous!
'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates
roadfool
Basic User

Post by roadfool »

Give some thought to an electric jacket liner, then there's no need to worring about being prepared for cold weather. When I tour it always comes along for the ride, and I never worry about being cold. Especially nice in the mountains where you can experience temperature variation with altitude changes....... Just crank in the a amount of juice you need to keep you comfy.

I've had several brand and prefer the Gerbing unit, made in the USA and great customer service. It has a nice soft collar and on a cold wet day that warmth on my neck reminds of a red head that once rode behind me. :badgrin:

Regards, Paul
Lost Rider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 514

Post by Lost Rider »

roadfool wrote:Give some thought to an electric jacket liner, then there's no need to worring about being prepared for cold weather. When I tour it always comes along for the ride, and I never worry about being cold. Especially nice in the mountains where you can experience temperature variation with altitude changes....... Just crank in the a amount of juice you need to keep you comfy.

I've had several brand and prefer the Gerbing unit, made in the USA and great customer service. It has a nice soft collar and on a cold wet day that warmth on my neck reminds of a red head that once rode behind me. :badgrin:

Regards, Paul

This.

Bringing two separate jackets seems like you have two of the wrong jackets or not the right support for one jacket or both.
I'd probably go with the summer jacket and liner and maybe a Gerbings if no new jacket is in your future, but if it's wet and cool you'll be wishing you had the winter jacket... Or at least an inexpensive, lightweight and reliable Froggtoggs outer rain jacket and pant since liners suck when it's cold and wet, especially non-Gortex and inexpensive Rev'it ones. Been cold and wet as hell with a Rev'it jacket rain liner in Colorado, that ride is what made me look for something else and never look back to touring with mesh, or Rev'it.

I choose to go the route of a waterproof shell (Rukka Armas) combined with a cool vest and a Gerbings heated jacket, with that setup I'm good to ride all day everyday in anything from torrential near freezing cold rain or snow to triple digit desert heat, especially on my R with some but not complete wind protection while keeping my pack minimal.
Mesh for long distance travel doesn't work for me, BTDT, I guarantee I'm cooler in a waterproof Gortex shell jacket with a cool vest than any mesh with lots of ventilation that's still blowing hot air and just sucking my body dry with no cooling effect. Of course this is best in western states where high humidity isn't really a factor.

At least on the R we don't have to deal with much hot air coming off the bikes either.

Personally I'd avoid Rocky Mt NP like the plague this time of year, but I can't stand to be stuck in endless traffic of RV's, minivans and hordes of pirates riding 15mph in tight formation, I like to wear my tires more evenly when in CO. :D

In the end what really matters is not ultimate comfort, just that you're more comfortable than your riding buddies are. :lol:
Have a great ride either way!

Get Lost!
BoxerSteve
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 879

Post by BoxerSteve »

Lost Rider wrote:Personally I'd avoid Rocky Mt NP like the plague this time of year, but I can't stand to be stuck in endless traffic of RV's, minivans and hordes of pirates riding 15mph in tight formation, I like to wear my tires more evenly when in CO.
It is friggin' crowded, and quadruply so on weekends. The key is to get going early, be at the RMNP gates at 7 AM or earlier and it won't be too bad. If you can get there before the hordes of RVs and cagers it is an absolutely amazing ride.
mogu83
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by mogu83 »

I went through on a weekday and it (Rocky Mountain NP) wasn't that horribly bad. Plus if your in the area and might not get the chance again, then I would put up with the traffic. Naturally IMHO
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
Lost Rider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 514

Post by Lost Rider »

Agreed, if someone's not ridden through there and plans in advance of not making good time then it's worth it or get there early on a weekday.
For flatlanders anywhere in the Rocky's is breathtaking, I know my first time through I was stunned, now that I've BTDT enough times I try to avoid the tourist hotspots since there's so many good roads and beautiful views without the traffic and frustration. HWY 550 being my favorite, though it can get pretty busy too in the summer.

One thing is certain, the 1200R is the perfect bike to take in all the views and enjoy the roads, I sure wish I was going to Colorado next week!
Get Lost!
Lee Davis
Basic User

Post by Lee Davis »

Take the lighter jacket. Colorado can be hot during the summer. I just rode up to Creede and Lake City, then back down through Alamosa and Taos and it was very mild. The jacket feels great in the mornings, but by 10 I was in a long sleeve tee shirt.