Page 1 of 1
Seafoam in the engine oil solves rough idle!
Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:57 pm
by beaowolf
So I have been using Seafoam in the gas to try to fix a slightly rough idle, but it was only smooth after being run real hard. So I finally added Seafoam to the engine oil at the recommended concentration. The oil turned dark fairly quickly and after ~300-400 miles I changed the oil. The bike idles smoother than ever before even right at start up (used to miss a beat every 5-10 ignitions). The previous owner had the bike for 5 yrs but only put on 5,600 mile with two documented oil changes after the 500 mile change. So I started to think maybe the problem was old oil residue in the engine. That does seem to have been the problem. Will be interesting top see how much oil it now burns.
Re: Seafoam in the engine oil solves rough idle!
Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:11 am
by rvb1019
beaowolf wrote:So I have been using Seafoam in the gas to try to fix a slightly rough idle, but it was only smooth after being run real hard. So I finally added Seafoam to the engine oil at the recommended concentration. The oil turned dark fairly quickly and after ~300-400 miles I changed the oil. The bike idles smoother than ever before even right at start up (used to miss a beat every 5-10 ignitions). The previous owner had the bike for 5 yrs but only put on 5,600 mile with two documented oil changes after the 500 mile change. So I started to think maybe the problem was old oil residue in the engine. That does seem to have been the problem. Will be interesting top see how much oil it now burns.
Any updates?

Re: Seafoam in the engine oil solves rough idle!
Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:21 pm
by mcmarcia
I also have the idle that misses a beat every so often. I am due for a full tune, valve adjustment, but if it still hesitates, maybe I will try the sea foam.