Hello,
This is my first post. I have a 2002 1150 R, when I purchased the bike, the headlight ring was duct taped on. The bike is nice otherwise so I removed the duct tape and the ring fell out. I took the ring out and I can't figure out what holds it on, I have a screw, a nut and a curled piece of metal, but I can't figure out what else is missing, I looked at the on line parts diagram and I can't figure out what other part isn't there. I went to the dealer and the parts guy wasn't very helpful. Any ideas? is there some type of additional clip?
Thank you in advance for any ideas.
Pete
Mounting 1150 headlight ring
Moderator: Moderators
Re: Mounting 1150 headlight ring
Pete, the ring is supposed to "hook" into the housing at the top, and the screw and nut secure it at the bottom. If no one else posts photos before I get home, I'll put some up for you.
2002 R1150R Yellowjacket
2000 Suzuki DR200
Past:
1973 Honda SL70
1977 Honda MR175
1971 Honda CB750
2000 Suzuki DR200
Past:
1973 Honda SL70
1977 Honda MR175
1971 Honda CB750
Re: Mounting 1150 headlight ring
1150Pete wrote:Hello,
This is my first post. I have a 2002 1150 R, when I purchased the bike, the headlight ring was duct taped on. The bike is nice otherwise so I removed the duct tape and the ring fell out. I took the ring out and I can't figure out what holds it on, I have a screw, a nut and a curled piece of metal, but I can't figure out what else is missing, I looked at the on line parts diagram and I can't figure out what other part isn't there. I went to the dealer and the parts guy wasn't very helpful. Any ideas? is there some type of additional clip?
Thank you in advance for any ideas.
Pete
If I understand your problem correctly?....hook the top of the ring on the bucket, hold the ring / lamp assembly in with one hand,.& place your screwdriver in the screw..& push in [the screw] at the bottom...you should hear sort of a "click" that is the "V" shaped clip catching the lower lip. Slowly tighten the screw & it should tighten up.
Note: before you start,.put a drop of oil on the lower clip / scew / nut assy.......hope that helps.
Ron
Re: Mounting 1150 headlight ring
Yeah, I see your problem in my mind. There's 8 or 10 spring clips that hold the headlight bucket to the ring.1150Pete wrote:Hello,
This is my first post. I have a 2002 1150 R, when I purchased the bike, the headlight ring was duct taped on. The bike is nice otherwise so I removed the duct tape and the ring fell out. I took the ring out and I can't figure out what holds it on, I have a screw, a nut and a curled piece of metal, but I can't figure out what else is missing, I looked at the on line parts diagram and I can't figure out what other part isn't there. I went to the dealer and the parts guy wasn't very helpful. Any ideas? is there some type of additional clip?
Thank you in advance for any ideas.
Pete
I don't get caught in the rain, I ride in it on purpose.
- Dr. Strangelove
- Double Lifer
- Posts: 1996
- Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:40 pm
- Location: #488Livin' in a Poor Man's Shangri.La
Re: Mounting 1150 headlight ring
are you talking about the lens or the whole assembly?
The lens is held in the chrome ring by a number of bent wire clips. Play with them and you'll figure it out how they hold the lens in. It is common (for me) to have to re do that by spacing them better after I first get it. I replaced the lens twice.
Now, if it's the chrome ring enclosing the lens, that is a bit tricky also. That little bent curved piece of metal onto which the screw pushes fits at the bottom of the hedalight bowl, in the recessed lip, to hold it on.
What has worked for me, and nothing works really well, is to adjust that screw so it is "almost almost" tight--it will still be loose. Then "hook" the top part of the assembly on the top of the recessed rim of the headlight. Start teasing the rim on and when you get to the bottom, depending on how tight you had adjusted that retaining screw mentioned above, you will probably have to "coax" it on with the butt of your hand to pop it in place. When there, you tighten the screw to secure it. Voila moment.
Be warned, it is decidedly low tech and can be frustrating. Also, it is very possible you will wind up pushing the headlight down a bit during your conversation with it. To re-adjust, you just twist it up.
To reassure yourself you did it right, inspect the space between the chrome ring and the bowl. It should fit evenly and well all around. If not it should, and you should re do your efforts. Sit on a stool when you're doing this.
I did have to replace a bulb outside of Mexican Hat Utah once, and in that environment the gods smiled on me and it popped right back on without drama.
JOhn
The lens is held in the chrome ring by a number of bent wire clips. Play with them and you'll figure it out how they hold the lens in. It is common (for me) to have to re do that by spacing them better after I first get it. I replaced the lens twice.
Now, if it's the chrome ring enclosing the lens, that is a bit tricky also. That little bent curved piece of metal onto which the screw pushes fits at the bottom of the hedalight bowl, in the recessed lip, to hold it on.
What has worked for me, and nothing works really well, is to adjust that screw so it is "almost almost" tight--it will still be loose. Then "hook" the top part of the assembly on the top of the recessed rim of the headlight. Start teasing the rim on and when you get to the bottom, depending on how tight you had adjusted that retaining screw mentioned above, you will probably have to "coax" it on with the butt of your hand to pop it in place. When there, you tighten the screw to secure it. Voila moment.
Be warned, it is decidedly low tech and can be frustrating. Also, it is very possible you will wind up pushing the headlight down a bit during your conversation with it. To re-adjust, you just twist it up.
To reassure yourself you did it right, inspect the space between the chrome ring and the bowl. It should fit evenly and well all around. If not it should, and you should re do your efforts. Sit on a stool when you're doing this.
I did have to replace a bulb outside of Mexican Hat Utah once, and in that environment the gods smiled on me and it popped right back on without drama.
JOhn
'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates
Re: Mounting 1150 headlight ring
Just a note about aiming the headlamp. The 'trim' makes it difficult...I drilled a hole in each trim piece , aligned with the bolt . Counter sunk the holes & they look like they belong there. Makes aiming a-buch easier, & {IMO} does not hurt appearence at all.
Re: Mounting 1150 headlight ring
This is old and simple technology. Triumph used this in the '50's!
Make sure that there is actually a turned up lip on the headlamp shell and the bit of the rim you are hooking over it is undamaged.
Then the screw just holds the whole lot together by threading into a (captive?) nut. Very few parts involved IIRC.
Make sure that there is actually a turned up lip on the headlamp shell and the bit of the rim you are hooking over it is undamaged.
Then the screw just holds the whole lot together by threading into a (captive?) nut. Very few parts involved IIRC.
2002 black 180 degree single spark V twin
-
slowtorque
- Lifer
- Posts: 214
- Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:36 am
- Location: Raleigh/Durham NC
Re: Mounting 1150 headlight ring
I sure would love a pic of how this clip is supposed to be installed. Mine fell out and I cannot (I'm worn out) figure out how to get the trim ring back with the clip oriented correctly. Please help me! THanks
Johnny
04 R1150R GONE
10 R1200R GONE
04 R1150R GONE
10 R1200R GONE
-
slowtorque
- Lifer
- Posts: 214
- Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:36 am
- Location: Raleigh/Durham NC