Why is there only one swingarm pivot cap?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Mr Breeze
Basic User

Why is there only one swingarm pivot cap?

Post by Mr Breeze »

Might be a silly question (and yes, I've searched the forum for an answer) but on my new R1200R, there is a black plastic cover on the left side (as sitting on the bike) swingarm pivot cap, but nothing on the right. I see that Touratech, Hornig, and others make a cover, but it begs the question, why did BMW only put a cover on the left side, but not the right? Can you get a second black plastic left side cover and put it on the right side? Some of the aftermarket covers/caps are nice, but pricy.
'12 BMW K1600GTL
'12 Ducati Monster EVO 1100 (Trade: 2009 R1200R)
'08 BigDog Pitbull
'79 Honda CX500
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Why is there only one swingarm pivot cap?

Post by deilenberger »

I actually asked BMW about this.. and they claim it's so moisture doesn't condense in the swingarm pivot housing and rot the bearings.

Hey - they said it, I didn't.. (would seem two tightly fitting covers might keep water out - but what'a I know..)

Oh - it has to be an R1200R specific cover - it's a slightly different size then the ones commonly found for the GS..
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
Coyote Crazy
Triple Lifer
Donating Member #: 723

Post by Coyote Crazy »

deilenberger wrote:I actually asked BMW about this.. and they claim it's so moisture doesn't condense in the swingarm pivot housing and rot the bearings.
Don,
I got the same answer from my dealer here in CA. Go figure.
deilenberger wrote:Oh - it has to be an R1200R specific cover - it's a slightly different size then the ones commonly found for the GS..
I ordered the one for the left side from BMW thinking it would work and it is slightly different size and would not work on the right side! Go figure again! #-o
Rick B. - Santa Clara River Valley, CA
Iron Butt Member 54010

2007 R1200R Crystal Gray
websterize
Lifer
Donating Member #: 710

Post by websterize »

Coyote Crazy wrote:I ordered the one for the left side from BMW thinking it would work and it is slightly different size and would not work on the right side! Go figure again! #-o
I assume you guys are referring to the covering cap on the rear frame? (See "46-Frame, Fairing, Cases" > Rear frame > Part 8 at Max's parts fiche.)

If that's true, it's odd it didn't fit on the right side since the covering cap for the clutch side (PN 46517694153; $5) is the same part number as the opposite, throttle-side covering cap on the rear wheel fork. (The rear wheel fork blowout diagram is under "33- Rear Axle & Suspension on the fiche.)

Thought about getting the milled covering caps (PN 31427706048; $33 each), in addition to the milled telelever caps, but couldn't justify the cost for what would be inconspicuous bling to my eye. Instead, I went with the milled levers.

edit: I was looking at the rear fork backward. Doesn't appear there is a cover cap on the throttle side.
Bill
rockbottom
Basic User

Post by rockbottom »

Coyote Crazy wrote:I ordered the one for the left side from BMW thinking it would work and it is slightly different size and would not work on the right side! Go figure again! #-o
I'm glad I'm not the only one. First time I noticed the "missing" one, I assumed it had fallen off and ordered a replacement which, of course, doesn't fit.
nephets
Basic User

Post by nephets »

Yes, I always thought that the bike looked unfinished without a cap.
My cheap and cheerful remedy was to go to Walmart and buy one of those convex blind spot mirrors which fix to your wing mirrors. Get one slightly smaller than dished pivot hole, cut off the outer plastic casing off and fix the mirror in place with a couple of dobs of Bluetack. Any rain water just runs out from behind the mirror. Looks good and still works a treat even after 3 years.

Steve.
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

I had a fellow Beemer rider make me crazy because of the 'missing' cover. He insisted the R1200R at our local dealer had covers on each side. It was a 100+ round trip to the dealer and I went with fire in my eye, they weren't going to sell me a bike with missing parts, fortunately I stopped and checked the one in the showroom before I attacked the salesman that sold me the bike.

I almost forgot that I have to pay that guy back, thanks for reminding me.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
Caroanbill
Lifer

Post by Caroanbill »

I have the milled cap, in black. It has a small hole to solve the condenastion issue. Absolutely no issues in two years.

Yes, it costs a lot for what you get, and especially because once it's on you simply don't notice it. But I noticed the absence of an end cap, every time I looked at the bike, for nearly two years. Now I just smile when I notice that I don't notice it.
:biggrin:
#584 Crystal Grey tour-farkelled Vespa GTS250 PX150
xF650CS R1150RS R80 K1100LT R65LS K100RT
Mr Breeze
Basic User

Post by Mr Breeze »

Caroanbill wrote:I have the milled cap, in black. It has a small hole to solve the condenastion issue. Absolutely no issues in two years.

Yes, it costs a lot for what you get, and especially because once it's on you simply don't notice it. But I noticed the absence of an end cap, every time I looked at the bike, for nearly two years. Now I just smile when I notice that I don't notice it.
:biggrin:
Where did you buy a black (I assume anodized aluminum?) one? Everyone I've found online have been raw/silver aluminum. Not that would be a problem as most wouldn't notice that the left one is black and the right one silver, but I'd know. ;)
'12 BMW K1600GTL
'08 BigDog Pitbull
'79 Honda CX500
Caroanbill
Lifer

Post by Caroanbill »

Why the black? My frame is black, so black was my choice - and it was available anodised not painted. It is shaped, subtly.

If you're looking at the Hornig site (which is where I got mine) you can select from a few finishes.
http://www.motorcycleparts-hornig.com/B ... right.html

There are a few others out there including a patterned Wunderlich one, but the Hornig was simple and black.
#584 Crystal Grey tour-farkelled Vespa GTS250 PX150
xF650CS R1150RS R80 K1100LT R65LS K100RT
Mr Breeze
Basic User

Post by Mr Breeze »

Mr Breeze wrote:Might be a silly question (and yes, I've searched the forum for an answer) but on my new R1200R, there is a black plastic cover on the left side (as sitting on the bike) swingarm pivot cap, but nothing on the right. I see that Touratech, Hornig, and others make a cover, but it begs the question, why did BMW only put a cover on the left side, but not the right? Can you get a second black plastic left side cover and put it on the right side? Some of the aftermarket covers/caps are nice, but pricy.

As a follow up to my original note, I ended up buying the Touratech aluminum covers for both the right and left swingarm pivots - nice looking, tap in with a dead-blow hammer, O-ring sealed and a vent hole on the bottom. Fast forward a few months and I test road a Ducati Monster EVO 1100.....I was sold. Ended up trading the R1200R on a new 2012 Ducati....(red of course...as it's my first Ducati) However, before I handed over to the dealer, I took the swingarm caps off thinking that someone here on the forum would want a good deal. I'll sell the pair for $50 (I'll cover shipping)
Here's the covers:
http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/PN-6 ... 1200R-left
http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/PN-6 ... 200R-right

Scott
'12 BMW K1600GTL
'08 BigDog Pitbull
'79 Honda CX500
AncientMariner
Lifer
Donating Member #: 783

Post by AncientMariner »

A friend of mine got a $3.95 plastic cap at Ace Hardware. He packed the insides with greese to prevent condensation.

I went to my local Ace and they couldn't help me. But I know some hardware store out there has got one...

Bruce
'13 R12R Montego Blue
'10 R12R's Black Biarritz Blue RIP
'95 Mystic Red K75
'94 Black HD FXDS
Mr Breeze
Basic User

Post by Mr Breeze »

The Touratech covers have been sold. Thanks for the interest.
'12 BMW K1600GTL
'08 BigDog Pitbull
'79 Honda CX500
bluebeemerII
Basic User

Post by bluebeemerII »

Ordered the same cap as on the left side, trimmed the rim down to the flare with an exacto knife, notched it for the three bolt heads, put velcro on the inside of cover and the swingarm plate. Plenty of room around the edge for air circulation and drainage. It looks factory and is one of the cheaper BMW parts. Hasen't fallen off in 300 miles and if it does I car replace it for $4.52 + velcro.

John L.
2wheelfish
Lifer

Post by 2wheelfish »

Maybe I'll try that Velcro idea, seems simple enough. I ordered a Hornig cap from A&S a looong time ago and I doubt it will ever show up. Thinking I will cancel and try something else.
2009 BMW R1200R, 2008 Vespa GTS 250
Steve in VT
Basic User

Post by Steve in VT »

Re: BMW's stated reason for omitting the paralever pivot cover (condensation).
I installed a pair of after-market covers, and then forgot about them for a year or so. But after a tour of Newfoundland that included several days riding in the rain, I decided to pop them off and have a look. There was moisture under the right cap, but the left was dry. There was corrosion on the bolt heads, but I have to believe the bearing is sealed to keep out dust and moisture. I dried out the pivot, sprayed in some grease, and replaced the cover. But I will be keeping an eye on it in the future.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/45044766@N03/7981360153/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/45044766@N03/7981327152/
Peugeot PX-10, '07 R1200R, Canon 780is.
No, kid, I won't do a wheelie. I'd fall on my ass.
Clem
Basic User

Post by Clem »

+1 It looks factory and is one of the cheaper BMW parts. Hasen't fallen off in 300 miles and if it does I car replace it for $4.52 + velcro.
THANK YOU bluebeemerII. That's a great solution. Hats off to you.
Catchina
Lifer
Donating Member #: 998

Post by Catchina »

mogu83 wrote:I had a fellow Beemer rider make me crazy because of the 'missing' cover. He insisted the R1200R at our local dealer had covers on each side. It was a 100+ round trip to the dealer and I went with fire in my eye, they weren't going to sell me a bike with missing parts, fortunately I stopped and checked the one in the showroom before I attacked the salesman that sold me the bike.
I did the same thing, should have checked here first. Went back to the local dealer and checked the one in the showroom, no cover. It sure bugged me when I thought a part could have simply fallen off like that...now I feel better
2011 R1200R RED
1996 Virago XV 750
Snapping Twig
Basic User

Post by Snapping Twig »

When I got my brand new bike home and looked it over I noticed this and called the dealer to get the part when I came in for the 600 mile check up.

Like everyone else, that's when I found out it wasn't missing.
BoxerSteve
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 879

Post by BoxerSteve »

It's also "missing" on the '12 R1200GS.