Any other R1100S riders here?

This forum houses topics related to other BMW bikes that dont have their own forum (s1000r, r9t, K1200R, F800, r1250r, GS, HP2, HP4, F, K bikes, etc), or upcoming machines

Moderator: Moderators

NAIAD
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Any other R1100S riders here?

Post by NAIAD »

Curious if there are a few other S bike owners on this forum, I sold my '04 R1150R (aka Quicksilver) last year and picked up a low mileage '04 S bike from a private party near Louisville, KY.

I know there were some folks asking questions on the 50R forum about the 11S...just wondering if any others made the change?

Cheers, Bill J
NAIAD
Lifer

Re: Any other R1100S riders here?

Post by NAIAD »

Guess not! :(

Cheers! Bill J
BMWEW1
Basic User

Post by BMWEW1 »

I don't ride an R1100S, ride an '03 R1150R and absolutely love it, but have been lusting at the 1100s for 2yrs now. So I've been debating doing the switch like you did. How do you like it compared to the 1150R? Pros/cons?
'03 R1150R, '05 Ural Patrol, '05 KLR650....Wash, DC
grnpnzer
Basic User

Post by grnpnzer »

I'm on a '99 R1100s. I pop in here every so often.....you are not alone. LOL =D>
NAIAD
Lifer

Post by NAIAD »

Not alone...but rare! :mrgreen:
grnpnzer
Basic User

Post by grnpnzer »

Yup....I pop in every once in a while...

'99 R1100S - Black
Keeping the N.Va Occoquan back roads safe for the GXXrs...LOL
goomicoo
Basic User

Post by goomicoo »

I just got one. Been sitting for 5 years. 2004 Mandarin & Titan with 5900 miles. Lots of work to do but that's how I relax at home so no worries.
:biggrin:
Atlantic Blue
2002 R1150R
The bumble bee's gone
Alvy
Basic User

Post by Alvy »

Hey guys!
Just rode back my "new" R1100S- rare as Hens teeth- parked her up and seeing about as what other peeps would say about the bike 8)
Have baught her from miles afar, but since had alook at 2 other before hand (one was just bareble)- one was absolute dog; third one- is beauty!
Love it! :mrgreen:
yes, it is not roadster series and yes Jap inL4's would on paper perform better, but ride quality and character oozles without Italian temperament- Happy days! =D>
Will be asking few questions in near future about sensible maintenance as well as some minor mods :biggrin:
One thing- is it me or does she feels in need of 7's gear? I mean she gets to 130MPH no prob, but revs are limit.... :oops:
Early tip for EU members
http://www.motorbikesandparts.co.uk/giv ... 16597.html
rack for top box'es at £45 instead of "genuine" at £245!
Soon I'll post some pics of her! ;)
Dreamweaver
Basic User

Post by Dreamweaver »

Hi people, I've just joined this forum. I live in London, UK. I came upon this forum quite by accident but am so pleased to have discovered it. I used to own a fantastic 1100s which sadly was stolen five weeks ago. On Wednesday just gone I bought an 1150r in its stead and am still feeling my way around it. Hopefully the 1150r I just bought will live up to my expectations. :? Not sure about the ABS at the moment. Takes a bit of getting used to in slow traffic!

For those of you who are wondering about the R1100s. It's a fantastic machine. I've had an 860 GTS Ducati, Honda CBR 600 and ridden a hired VFR 750 on a mad holiday and have to say the 1100s blow me away with superb power delivery and excellent build quality. Once I got over the quirkiness of BMW bikes (indicators on each side of the handlebars and clunky gear shifts etc) I was well impressed. It was an 04 model with no ABS and bog standard exhaust. However to keep up with some of my mad friends on their Jap machines I would have to rev like there was no tomorrow but then the 1100s would take off and out-class everything esle. The bike has a max rev govner to protect it.
The only thing I found a pain in the backside was the amount of oil it consumed. I would be constantly topping it up and with hindsight I would say that my particular bike had a problem with burning oil. It used about a liter per 1000 miles. This put me off doing any serious touring as I would have to factor in the cost of the extra oil AND carrying enough spare oil with me which became an unacceptable situation. Also the range (135miles or there abouts) was not that good if you were doing any long distance touring. The range of the bike was not conducive to a good relaxed ride as, like me, if you like to ride fast and you are miles from any filling stations then it can get a bit stressful not knowing if you have enough fuel to reach the next petrol pump.

Great machines though. Not so good for pillion on any long distance.
:-k
Alvy
Basic User

Post by Alvy »

Sorry to hear about your loss Dreamweaver
you a quite right about your experiences, as I would point out bad ones regarding too! :twisted: I did ride quite few bikes too and obviously different needs- different bikes catered for! IE Honda Bros- best in town bike ever; Triumph Speed Triple- best show off bike; Suzuki GSR 750- best on fast track, whilst R1100s is absolutely in the middle of all, without a single area where it would fail.
About my R1100S- she's been born 1999, non ABS(not needed as brakes and chassis are 1'st class) has 38k on the clock- appears to have been maintained fairly. Last night she did 120 miles from garage to garage - used up 12 litres and reserve light did not come up. I did ride her variously =P~ , even through a heavy traffic motorway. So most likely as tank is of 18 liters she'd do more official specs suggest of 150 miles on a tank. Oil- all BMW 1100 engines burn oil- does seem a bit much in your case, but also I wander weather you where overfilling perhaps?
This is my first BMW and despite the age- stunning build quality/engineering outperforms much younger bikes. Engine is a stunner! Riding for those of concern of ride quality, not figures or racing all the time as mad- she suits me down to the ground :mrgreen:
Reading and sharing manual (PDF) with readers, seeing about as what service parts to get ASAP and what work can I do myself or weather I should take her to the garage. :-k
BMW R1100S (1999 - 2003) Service Manual DECRIPTED.pdf

Code: Select all

http://www.mediafire.com/?v16x4t6gqs2fevq
http://www.mediafire.com/?v16x4t6gqs2fevq
Alvy
Basic User

Post by Alvy »

As promised few shots:

Few mods desparate to get done though...:
Crash Bars. Anybody knows of decent way to fit R1100R bars or equivalent PROPER protection? Fiddly head protectors- all appear to be good for aesthetics only....
Rear TopBox... OK I found The rack (link above) need to add plate to it, but boxes are tiny or dear as mad. When I'll be off touring- I'd hate side paniers, but top box would be preferred choice as where to fit Tent and quite a bit of more gear in. Also, the rack fitting appears requiring moving of indicators (not keen really)
Any suggestions?