Page 1 of 1

Slow Return of Front Brake Lever

Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:03 pm
by GOTJ
When I cycle my front brake lever to signal a following car that I am slowing, the lever is noticeably slow in returning to its extended position. I have tried to imagine what it could be and searched the forum but haven't come up with any ideas. It acts like what in the old days would be a weak or broken return spring. Any suggestions?

Re: Slow Return of Front Brake Lever

Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:10 pm
by ShinySideUp
Here's my SWAG:

When a car is tailgating, you don't want to actually apply the brakes, which would only make the situation worse by shortening the distance between his front bumper and your assets. So, you barely pull the lever in. This doesn't really put pressure on the hydraulic fluid, so there's not much stored-up force to move the lever back quickly.

Now, somebody who actually understands the braking mechanics can undoubtedly post the real reason!

Re: Slow Return of Front Brake Lever

Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:32 am
by GOTJ
ShinySide,

You're right but the return is noticeably slower than any of my other bikes when I use the same technique.

Re: Slow Return of Front Brake Lever

Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:00 pm
by ShinySideUp
Well, maybe the lever's pivot point is in need of some lubrication.

Re: Slow Return of Front Brake Lever

Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:28 pm
by GOTJ
"Well, maybe the lever's pivot point is in need of some lubrication."

Now you're trying to embarass me! :badgrin: But I went down anyway and lubed the pivot point with no change in the lever action. I also did some more comparisons with other bikes and it seems that the slowness is generated by the plunger that the lever pushes into the master cylinder. It takes more pressure to push the plunger in and then the plunger is slower than others to retract. It's a 2008 model if that would make any difference.

Another comparison I made was with a new R12R in the showroom of a non-local dealer and it was different than mine. I didn't have my bike so I couldn't get them to look at it.