Page 1 of 1

Bargain on Michelin Pilot Road 2's in Sydney

Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:41 am
by lowflying
I just happened to be ready for a new set of tires when I noticed the ad in Cycle Torque.

Western Motorcycles at Penrith is offering Michelin Pilot Road 2's (120/70-17 and 180/55-17), balanced and installed for Aus $399 the pair, while in stock. Worth the ride out there.

They've got a lot of bikes in the showroom. They let me test ride a CB1300S (nice looking bike with the red frame and gold wheels - good grunt too!) while I was waiting, and the roads out there are nice and open.

Impressions riding home on the new MPR2's:

- Was nice to have round tires again!
- I'm no road racer and I wasn't pushing on the new rubber but they felt nice and confidence inspiring
- I prefer the R12R to the CB13S as the R feels rougher and rortier. Of course the Honda had the stock exhaust and I have an Akrapovic with the baffles out...

I got 19000 km on the original MPR's, probably a bit left if I really wanted to stretch it. I'm not an agressive rider (yet) as I'm back on a bike after a 22-year layoff.

Cheers.

Re: Bargain on Michelin Pilot Road 2's in Sydney

Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 2:05 am
by Caroanbill
Balmain Motocycles (http://www.balmainmotorcycles.com.au) 14 Mansfield St Rozelle have done similar deals and are consistently below any dealer's prices in Sydney. Cheerful service and they take care (fitter rides a R1150RT). I paid $199 for my Z6 front, fitted on the bike and done while I had a coffee down the road.

Penrith? That's reached from Windsor via the Putty Road, Bylog Valley Way, Castlreagh Highway and Bell's Line the south from Richmond, isn't it? :D

Re: Bargain on Michelin Pilot Road 2's in Sydney

Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 2:22 am
by lowflying
Penrith is an excuse for a bit of a ride for me from near Cronulla. From Sydney you would head west on the Great Western Highway (passes Homebush) towards the Blue Mountains. Penrith is a bit further west than and south of Windsor. The Bells Line heads west from Richmond.

No marks on my wheels from the job.

Re: Bargain on Michelin Pilot Road 2's in Sydney

Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:55 am
by qfman
+ 1 on the Balmain Cycles guys. Cheap and Cheerful - rare when you run a beemer.

I only go thru Penrith when I FORGET TO RIDE THE BELL ROAD which is never.

Dunno about the Pilot Roads - 19K is amazing. I struggle to get 8K out of a Metz Z6 rear and they are pretty long wearing..........

Tom