Page 1 of 1
Maintenance Help
Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:14 pm
by corbtown
I just bought a "new" '04 R1150R and want to do some basic maintenance such as fluid changes and check some of the torque settings. I'm not very mechanical and need diagrams and detailed instructions, and the basic manual doesn't help much. For my F650GS I had a disc with all the data and diagrams for each major system of the bike. Where can I get the maintenance details with diagrams like that? Any ideas much appreciated.
Re: Maintenance Help
Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:31 pm
by jfslater98
To start with, an oil change is very easy, and there's a great writeup right here.
http://r1150r.org/board/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=683
This one has final drive and transmission, as well as oil change
http://r1150r.org/board/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11586
Is your bike ABS? If not the procedure is pretty easy. If it is, you may want to leave that to the dealer for now. But there are some detailed writeups on that also. Others may post their favorites here.
Getting deeper, there's valve adjustments (google Oilhead Valve Adjustment for Dummies) and Throttle Body Syncing.
IBMWR.org has a list of torque settings somewhere. So that's the free stuff. If you want to throw down some cash
Clymer or Haynes Manual
Jim Von Baden maintenance DVDs (see the procedures in action!)
BMW Shop manual on CD-ROM (ebay)
Hope that helps, good luck!
Re: Maintenance Help
Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:05 pm
by corbtown
Double Lifer,
Thanks for the very good response--I guess I need visual aids, and those pictures in the link look helpful.
"everyman is the architect of his own character"
Re: Maintenance Help
Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:14 pm
by Biff's R
If you fill out where you are from in your profile, you may find someone else on the board willing to help you on that first service.
Re: Maintenance Help
Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:57 am
by iowabeakster
Here is a good start for you. Lotsa stuff here.
http://home.mindspring.com/~jabrooks/
Re: Maintenance Help
Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:53 pm
by macx
I guess there are some good but plenty not so good CD's on eBay for that -
I got lucky and got a pretty decent one.
those other links in this thread are good, too, lots of good info out there
but a good maintenance manual still helps
just for starters, the parts microfiche files are available on the A&S website.
No instructions, but at least you can see all the parts
Re: Maintenance Help
Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:53 pm
by bransan
Clymer makes a very good manual.