Northern California October Loop

This section is for people to post trip writeups and pictures AFTER the trip is over.

Moderator: Moderators

sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Northern California October Loop

Post by sweatmark »

Great weekend trip in NorCal this past weekend. Rode my Rockster, but posted a quick trip report on the Buell board:

http://www.badweatherbikers.com/cgibin/ ... OST1293731

If any of you in CA or OR (or even WA) have an interest, we might plan for a group ride along these roads next season after the mountain pass snow is gone. To give these roads due diligence, check out Pashnit's description (requires subscription)

http://www.pashnit.com/maps/Highway36map.htm

or here:

http://haverkamp.com/movies/hwy36-lan.html
NAIAD
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Northern California October Loop

Post by NAIAD »

Thanks much for the post! This is a bunch of roads I've been thinking about for quite some time. Was about to go down thru the GP to Happy Camp/Fortuna loop this summer, but the only thing open on my schedule was precisely when all the big fires were burning in the back country. (I fought a lot of fires in my 16 years with NDF in Reno/Tahoe area). Had no great desire to ride in that much smoke with uncertainty of road closures adding to the mix.

Oh well, there's always NEXT summer! :?

Thanks again, interesting road report....

Ciao! BJ
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Extensive fire damage along the route this year. We were similarly impacted by the fire season, along with late snow melt. In fact, our Memorial Day weekend ride to these NorCal roads was thwarted because snow still blocked the Happy Camp road.

I'd like to propose a 2nd Not-Exactly-Annual West Coast Bash to meet in this same region. Will post a notice in Group Rides.
NAIAD
Lifer

Post by NAIAD »

Thanks, and I'll be watching...hopefully the ride will be open to non 1150R riders. LOL... I moved over to an R1100S this last summer. Still a Beemer though! And I do ride occasionally with a guy on Buell too!

Still hang out on this board, like the people here too much to just fade totally away!

Ciao! BJ
bmwdave52
Lifer

Post by bmwdave52 »

I'm up for a West Coast bash that includes SR36.
Awesome road.
"When life throws you a curve lean into it"
Proud member since 2001; #17(Life)
NAIAD
Lifer

Post by NAIAD »

Sort of odd for me to never have experienced SR36, have relatives in Orland and stop there often on my way to/from the Reno area. Actually was going to ride it for the first time a few weeks ago when I rode down to Rick Mayer's seat emporium near Anderson. Unfortunately on the way down from Washington I managed to have a minor mishap and managed to sustain a groin pull! Managed to make it to Rick's for the custom seat, but called off the rest of the trip. :oops: Darn! (other expletives deleted)

Really looking forward to exploring 36 and those roads from Grant's Pass through the Trinity Alps area. Can hardly wait for summer of '09!

Ciao! BJ