2008 Summer Journey

This section is for people to post trip writeups and pictures AFTER the trip is over.

Moderator: Moderators

GypsyRR
Centurionette!
Donating Member #: 254

2008 Summer Journey

Post by GypsyRR »

First, I want to thank those of you who gave me advice on trailers, pulling a trailer, and how to tie down
bikes over the past year. After paying for motorcycle tires and having them mounted just one time, I knew
that I would prefer to use up the rubber on roads I enjoyed, rather than on the roads getting there. A trailer made sense.

Then, when I added another bike ('04 Suzuki DR650) last November, it made more sense, but with an additional
problem; mainly, the decision, "which bike should I take"? I'm partial to my RR and although the DR650 has
pretty good all round use, it just can't handle twists and turns the way I want to ride them. So the RR will always
be with me as long as I have it. But the RR is heavy on trails and dirt roads. It's carried me across many of them,
but traveling alone incurs the additional worry of dropping a heavily loaded bike and not being able to raise it up
again. Enter the DR. It flies down dirt roads, over stumps bumps and humps and is just a blast to ride.

So a trailer made more sense – I could carry both. So, I ended up with a 12' tandem trailer with a tailgate that
doubles as a ramp. On the advice of some on this board, I also purchased good chocks and equally good straps
to make loading and securing my bikes easier for one person to handle. Then I planned and plotted exactly where
I wanted the chocks and recessed tie down points secured, and then a couple of friends installed them for me. And
finally on May 13, my trailer was ready to roll.

So I'm taking some time this summer for some extended traveling and camping in Arkansas, Texas, Colorado,
Wyoming, and Montana. I should be done by the third week in August. So far, so good ……….sort of.
I have encountered two continuing obstacles:

First: Getting the RR out of the chock. I'm not strong enough to do so by myself. I can do the DR just fine,
but the RR is heavy and the chock is snug. So far, I've managed to get help each time. I've thought of parking
on a steeper slope, but I fear a greater degree of incline will impede my ability to back the bike down safely.
I have to ride it down backwards, and there is a point when the back wheel is on the pavement and the front
wheel is still on the ramp, that my feet do not touch, making me have to lean quite or slide off the seat a bit
to keep a foot planted.

Secondly, backing up the trailer is still a problem. I need more practice, but I keep avoiding the practice as well
as situations where I might have to back up. In fact, I go to great lengths to NOT back up. For example – at a
river south of Clinton, AR. As I crossed over the bridge, the scene look wonderful, so I decided a side trip down
to the banks was in order regardless of the two mudslides I had just seen along Hwy 65.

Well, once I started down the road, there was no turning back and the sign that said "4 Wheel Drive Vehicles Only"
told me I probably should have turned back. Sure, the truck is a F350 4x4 Diesel, but my experience driving it is
pretty much limited to 1 week!!!! The steep road was soaked from recent flooding and more rain this day. I had no
choice but to go forward and downward. Once down to the banks, the place was covered a foot deep of large
smooth river rocks.

As I looked ahead, I saw no easy turn around spot either. There were vehicles, tents, people, uprooted trees, etc
casually placed, so finding a spot wide enough for this rig to turn was going to be tricky. And then upon getting
to the bottom – well *&(%^, it wasn't even WORTH the effort. The best view was from the bridge I had just left.
Perspective is often best from your own vantage point rather than another's.

I managed to do a sharp (for this rig) turn around between a tent and an uprooted tree and then took a guess
on the proper way to put it in 4 wheel drive (found out later, I did it right – woo hoo!) and got out of there!

So that's the outfit I'm traveling in this summer. It takes me across the boring roads and carries both bikes for
my travels once I land where I'm going. Once I'm camped, I can take my RR or DR out on further adventures.

Roaming Arkansas has been sort of 'shakedown' trip for me to work out all the kinks in this type of travel,
i.e. – trailer/travel/bikes/camping/photography/fishing/work. I'm happy to say all has been working out very well.
I'm learning some things as I proceed, and that's always a positive thing. I'll share some of those as I go along.

I left May 19 after the 'family reunion' that spoiled my chances of getting to the Beakster Bash in PA this year.

Not knowing for certain if my trailer and truck were properly hitched together since I've never done it before,
I stopped by the local U-Haul and had them check out my work before taking off. A bit disconcerting answer
from the young man, "the ball doesn't seem to fit in the hitch right, but as long as you have that lock on it,
I'd say you are probably okay," left me puzzled. Huh? So decision time – turn around or trust the lock.

On the windscreen of my 1150 there is a tiny token that my daughter gave me. She asked me to put it on my
bike for my travels. It is sort of a talisman, I guess. It says – "Take A Chance". She gave it to me because she
said she wanted to be just like me one day because I'm not afraid to take a chance. Little does she know!!!
I AM afraid – but the solo riding, traveling, trailering, camping makes me face those fears and it forces me to
see them for what they truly are.
So, I thanked the young man and told him I would take my chances, and I decided to keep going. I stopped
and checked the trailer often for the first 100 miles and I promised myself that if I had ANY doubt, I would stop
again at another U Haul to get their opinion. The ball looked fine to me, and besides, the lock was keeping the
hitch from coming loose at all. My confidence swelled with each mile.

I headed toward Arkansas, and as it got later and I got closer, I started checking my map for a camping spot.
I found Daisy State Park in the southern part of Arkansas, and headed that way. I knew it would be a great
place when I was told it was just beyond Delight. Delight, Arkansas, that is. Small, small, small town – and
proud home of Glen Campbell. Here is how they announce that:

Fancy, eh? I'm not really into cemeteries, but this is the third time I've seen a "treestone" over the past 2.5 years
of riding along country roads. I finally looked it up on the internet and found that these "treestones" mark the
burial site of a Woodman of the World – a member of the fraternal organization of the same name which was
started in the late 1800's. Frankly, I have no idea if it is still a functioning organization. I had never even heard of it before.

I thought you might enjoy this photo.

By the time I was "beyond Delight" and to Daisy State Park, dusk was fading, and no one was manning the check
in point. I pulled in anyway and looked for a place near the lake, near the showers/bathroom, and possibly
near 'safe' looking people. Haha, as if I could ever be sure, right? But I did find a spot that met the criteria as
best as I could tell, and I pitched my tent.

I tried to position the tent the best way to catch the evening breeze. It was still in the upper 70's and I kept
hoping for some cooler air to blow through. Not long after the sun was completely down, the cooler air moved
in and I was as comfortable as could be with my new sleeping bag. The bikes stayed on the trailer for the night
because I was too tired to unload them and not sure if I would be allowed to stay when dawn broke. The RR was
covered since I was parked under trees. The DR only has a beach towel.

Honestly, I can't remember if I ate on the road or cooked at my campsite that night. It's been a long time since then!!
I do remember running into this thing hanging on the wall outside the bathroom. Ugh.

And I do know fear did not hinder nor stifle me in any way that day, and consequently I slept well and
without regrets. The next morning, I woke to the best alarm clock of all – sun peeking through my tent and
birds singing in the trees. I lay in my tent and thought how lucky I was. I had just had one of the best days,
evenings and nights of my life and it felt great to be waking with that knowledge and comfort.

So far, of all the photos I have taken on this trip, this photo evokes the most emotion in me. It's not stellar,
but laying on my back, looking up at the early 'wake me up' sky and smiling, it was the first thing I saw that
initial morning and I will never forget the feelings of strength and courage, as well as comfort that it symbolizes for me.

I'll quit for now with this shot from along the northern part of 23, "the Pig Trail" – south of Eureka Springs. More later. I'm tired.

more to come............
Kristi
05 Granite Grey
Airshaft
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: 2008 Summer Journey

Post by Airshaft »

Got to say you're more adventurious than most guys I know.....good on you.

Just a couple of pointers on the towing thing.
Try not to compress the forks too far in, which is easy to do with those rachet style tie downs. It's too hard on the seals and you will blow them out sooner or later. Rule of thumb in my experiance is about 2/3ds of suspension travel. On your DR if it's lowered that should be around 7". On the R 3"-4".
Unless you need that trailer and truck for other purposes, thats quite an overkill which is also lots harder to handle for a beginer.
Also whenever youre not towing for any length of time (overnight etc.) and not using one bike or the other release the preasure on the tiedowns till you're ready to go again.

Great choice on the DR. I had a 2001 model I just sold couple of years ago. Loved the bike, it did everything quite well and never failed once in 26k.

DO get that Ball checked out again because if it is wrong size you are playing with trouble, it will stay in place for only so long.

Have a great trip and looking forward to more of your report and pictures. =D>
07 R1200R
GypsyRR
Centurionette!

Post by GypsyRR »

Thanks Airshaft.

I'll have the hitch checked again. If I had much confidence in the young man who checked it the first time, I would have gotten a second opinion at the next U Haul I found, however he seemed to be just making up something to say. But in the past, I was a passenger 3 times in incidents where the trailer came loose, so I know how dangerous and unnerving the experience can be. So - noted. And I'll get it checked tomorrow.

I do not own the truck. I know the truck is probably overkill for this light trailer, but it's one I can borrow without having to buy my own. And the trailer was a gift from a couple who have been good friends to me over the last year.

I have not measured the amount of compression on the forks. I'll try that as well. I have been tying them tight enough that they do not move independent of the trailer. My first attempt, I tied lighter then subsequent tie downs. The slacking in the strap while moving over bumps and dirt roads concerned me, so the next time I tightened them down more. I do release the straps when I reach my destination whether or not they are coming off the trailer.

What will a blown fork seal look like?

Kristi
05 Granite Grey
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!
Donating Member #: 100

Post by MikeCam »

Blown Fork Seal
The Older I Get, The Less I Know.
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Post by Buckster »

Excellent photos and story. Can't wait for more. Have a good trip and ride safe!
Buckster '03R
GypsyRR
Centurionette!

Post by GypsyRR »

The next morning, I was able to get a better shot of just where I had decided to camp and other sites I could have chosen when I was searching for one in the dark. It was a nice setting, but now that the sun was up, I could see there were better sites close by.

The picnic table did not meet my specifications for the a.m., so I fixed breakfast on my tailgate. I didn't want to settle in too much since I had yet to visit the Ranger Station to see if I was going to be able to stay or not.

I was still working out the exact measurements for a great cup of coffee with this fancy multi-syllabic named coffee thermos - so the first a.m. it was too weak. Nothing some sweet cream could not cover up though! :lol: Breakfast consisted of coffee and oatmeal.

After cleaning up, I checked at the Ranger station for permission to stay and to also move to a site down on the point, next to the water. No problem. So, I picked up my tent, put it on the back of the trailer and drove another 50 yards to a new campsite. I do love the transitory nature of tenting; just pull up stakes and move on to 'greener pastures'. I could get use to living like that! Here is a satellite view of where I was - right off 70 in Daisy, Arkansas

What a great site! Right on the point - nice breeze, fresh air, and the sound of fish surfacing for bugs on the water. Wonderful! There were only two other people camping on this peninsula and they were in huge RV's. I unloaded the bikes (needed help with the RR) and then set up camp.

Once the bikes were unloaded and camp was set up, I headed into Glenwood to get a couple of needed items and to check out some local roads.

Here is a map of the area. I'd just like to say again - that the roads in Arkansas are all good and vacant compared to any other place I have ever ridden. You can ride just about any 20 mile stretch at any time and maybe see only 3-5 cars, and rarely are any of those in your way. It is an amazing place to ride.

In Glenwood, I found a GREAT Italian restaurant called "Little Italy". So good that I ate lunch there twice. It's just a local spot, but the owners and cooks are from Italy and fix authentic foods. I thought it was very good, but I admit my taste buds aren't the most sophisticated! (no food pictures).

I don't know if I misunderstood the directions a guy at the Radio Shack gave me, or what, but after 15 miles of nice paved scenic black top roads ..................

- I ended up on endless dirt roads through a forest that eventually followed the Caddo River, I believe. When I finally hit pavement again, I was at the Albert Pike Park - which I cannot even find on this map. Luckily I had SPOT with me to tell me later where I was, but even he had trouble getting satellite in the dense woods and clouds that day. I think I was probably on dirt roads for about 2 hours??? Not sure, but it seemed endless and I had picked the RR today instead of the DR. Still, I was smiling all the way. Fortunately, there was a sign midway through the forest that gave me hope that within five more miles and I would see some sort of civilization. I saw none until then! I took the left fork.......

Here is just a part of the SPOT message map of the terrain I was in on the dirt roads:

And the dense forest surrounding me:

Finally - a SIGN!!

I did see a stream crossing, so I stopped to check it out. I believe this is part of the Caddo River. Right next to where I parked, there was an orange poster taped to a tree with the words "Crzy Camping Chix" and an arrow pointing across the river. They must not have been on motorcycles, because the road going across the river was covering in fast moving water! Nevertheless, it made a nice backdrop for my new avatar! :D

Five miles later, I see a nice park - but I'm still a few miles from real civilization. This was the Albert Pike campground. Nice cliff walls bordering the Caddo River and a very narrow "gorge" through here. Just enough room for a road and shallow campsites before the river and the cliffs.

Eventually, I made it back to Daisy State Park and to my site. I had enough time to fish just a little and caught 3-4 small Bluegills and released them. again. I watched the sunset over the water and cast beams of orange rays through my tent, and I watched the full moon rise as well. After my lights had exchanged themselves, I fixed dinner.

Dinner consisted of the Beef Stroganoff with some summer sausage cut up and added for extra protein, and a nice wine - just enough to help me settle enough after a full day, to fall asleep. Honestly - that Beef Stroganoff is very good. But again - I don't have sophisticated taste buds. I'm just happy to eat when I'm hungry (and happy that I get hungry now days).

More coming. I'm back in Texas now for my neice's graduation this weekend,as well as taking care of some jobs, and getting some finances in order. I will be leaving early next week for the Colorado leg of my journey....... a mixture of work and play.
Last edited by GypsyRR on Thu May 29, 2008 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kristi
05 Granite Grey
1MPH
Lifer

Post by 1MPH »

GypsyRR wrote: Image
Gypsy, enjoying the read and great photos. Thanks for posting.
Looks like you learned how to backup the rig.
Looking forward to rest of adventure.
Jack
Mill Valley, California
2004 R1150R Piedmont Red
GypsyRR
Centurionette!

Post by GypsyRR »

1MPH wrote:
GypsyRR wrote:
Looks like you learned how to backup the rig.
Yeah, well don't let that photo fool you. I pulled in just fine. But I'm also at the end of a large circle turn around area. Large enough for those great big bus sized RV's. I swear - you would think just backing straight up would have been easy. Nope. It took me about 8 tries to back out into a large circle turn around area without a jack knife of truck/trailer. I'm certain the two RV's parked to my left had curtains opened just so they could watch the feat. I really wish I could master this. I think I know the answers to my questions about backing it up - I probably just need some dedicated practice.

Thanks, Jack, for your kind words.
Kristi
05 Granite Grey
taosports
Double Lifer

Post by taosports »

GypsyRR wrote:...I will be leaving early next week for the Colorado leg of my journey....... a mixture of work and play.
I want your job Gypsy! :mrgreen:

Looking forward to hearing about your Colorado adventures.
tobes
Lifer

Post by tobes »

Bravo Gypsy! Great report. :D
Mike
Airshaft
Basic User

Post by Airshaft »

What will a blown fork seal look like?

Well defenately not like the one on the beach :lol:

Basicaly fork leg would be all wet with oil. In your case on the DR it would start seeping out of the rubber bot on the upper part of the fork.
Theres lot less chance of this hapening on the Beemer do to the different front fork system.

Dont concern yourself too much with this as it seems you got it figured out pretty good =D> . As long as you don't compress the front all the way down to bottom you''ll be fine.

For the price, your towing setup is outstanding :mrgreen: , wish I had friends that generous.

Happy exploring.
07 R1200R
Ves
Basic User

Post by Ves »

That is a cool looking moth...

I use a short ramp on my trailer so there is a point where my feet do not touch the ground, just like yours. I just ride the bike up with enough speed to just get past that point... until my feet are touching again. Obviously you don't want to stall at that point. You do need to be able to modulate your clutch and throttle, or with some practice, pick a speed which is just fast enough to get you past the point. The nice thing is you're chock is far from the back of the trailer so you can just ride up and worry about getting the front wheel in the chock once you're up. I have to line up my tire into a rail soon as I get it up so it's more difficult. I do the same thing backwards... I just make sure the bike is straight... I'm looking forward and I let it roll straight back, past the point where my feet don't touch. In that case the bike is turned off, in first gear, and I use the clutch to brake it (squeeze the clutch bike rolls back, release it bike stops rolling).

A blown seal leaks a lot of oil... There would be seals on the two fork legs where they slide in and out, and I guess in the case of the BMW, around the shaft on the shock absorbers... Technically if you fasten that front wheel in that chock real well, you shouldn't need much tension on your other straps.

Just a note. I would have put the chocks further back on the trailer so that the weight of the motorcycles is more centered over the wheels of the trailer. Hitches are rated on tongue weight... that means the amount of force pushing down on the hitch... generally the more centered the weight on the trailer is over the wheels the lower your tongue weight. I'm sure that big truck can handle anything, but if you were to hook that trailer up to something smaller, it may be more of a consideration.

Have fun...
Ves (AKA Boy,Sledge, and Cheap Bastid)
R4R&R
Basic User
Donating Member #: 293

Post by R4R&R »

Wow - you got quite the trailer (and tow vehicle)! Great pictures; looking forward to more.
John
Member 293 (I think)
'17 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRX
jb44
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by jb44 »

Gypsy,

Great pictures, as usual.

I was a bit concerned when I saw your choice of tow vehicle and trailer.... but then the price was right.

Put a topper on that truck and you wouldn't need the tent.

jb
GypsyRR
Centurionette!

Post by GypsyRR »

jb44 wrote:Gypsy,

I was a bit concerned when I saw your choice of tow vehicle and trailer.... but then the price was right.

Put a topper on that truck and you wouldn't need the tent.

jb

a Topper on the Truck? it's not my truck to do so. Besides, the tent has come to symbolize so much for me. I don't know if I could ever part with it.

I'm happy with the trailer. You can't see it in the photos very well, but I had another chock installed in the center and about even with the back wheels of the two forward bikes. Just thinking ahead, in case I buy another bike, or decide to trailer only one.

And yes, the truck is huge and overkill. Unfortunately, my original plan to trade cars with my brother for this trip fell through because of some things he had scheduled that included use of his Land Cruiser. But in the future he will take my SC430, and I'll take his Land Cruiser for trailering. I think I would enjoy driving it more than this huge 4x4 F350.
Last edited by GypsyRR on Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kristi
05 Granite Grey
GypsyRR
Centurionette!

Post by GypsyRR »

Continuing.........

After some nights at Daisy State Park and riding the area roads around there, I decided to move on. It was starting to get a bit crowded and I was looking for more roads and fishing. I had planned to head east again toward the White River, but once more they had seen flood waters. Even if I made it, floods are never good for fishing, and certainly the roads would still be a mess. Taking the big truck and tandem trailer on soaked roads would probably have been more than I could handle as a novice. So I decided the White River area would have to be the reason I go back to Arkansas again soon, and instead, I headed north toward Huntsville, Arkansas.

I didn't have reservations anywhere. What I had was a big Gazette map of Arkansas with little symbols for campgrounds. I tried to pick one centered around good roads. Then I would check a campground book I had to see if it had showers (yes, I still want a nice shower at least once a day, twice is preferred!) and if it was easily accessible for RVs. I figured if an RV could get to it, then I could to. So I headed out - and landed at Withrow Springs State Park. What a nice place this is. It is located about 15-20 miles south of Eureka Springs on 23 (The Pig Trail), just north of Huntsville, Arkansas.

Once again, I pulled in late at night - so no ranger on duty. The tent sites were blocked off, so I kept driving till I found people camping. All RV's again, but only 3 of them. The facility looked brand new. So, I picked a site, set up my tent and settled in for a long stay.

Okay - I hate to admit it. This was NOT primitive camping. This was almost not camping at all. I had water and electricity right at my site. And paved parking too! Almost too nice to be camping. But I made the best use of it. I was able to work with my laptop. Download photos, plug in my music, charge iPhone, ipods, and every other gadget I had with me. It was N I C E!!!! and clean, but $17.00/night. I can camp cheaper than this, but I think I may have spoiled myself with these 'luxuries'. However, this was the place I saw the snake crossing the road in front of me on my evening walk back from the showers. Ugh.

I don't wear a watch, nor keep a calendar when I travel. I do set reminders and alarms on my iPhone for important things that have to be taken care of while I'm on the road, but for the most part - I just don't look at a watch or calendar most days of my life. I just wake when I'm done sleeping and sleep when I'm tired, eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm satisfied. It is very 'freeing' to not be a slave to a clock. HOWEVER, the disadvantage is that I lose track of when I did things. If I didn't have photos, I might even forget what I did, besides when I did it. I just know the days are relaxing. They filled with ease and my own pace. I ride every day, and I fish most days, and try to not hurry any day. I did find that trailering, takes up a whole day - load the bikes, get there, unload (wait for help for the RR), set up camp etc. etc. So - I'm planning accordingly for the next leg of my trip.

During my days based at Withrow Springs, I rode, fished, relaxed, and visited with locals, but I can't recall each days individually. They all melted into one whole experience and I can't seem to separate one day from another.

First, this was one thing I have wanted to do each visit to Arkansas but never had the chance. I had read about 221 south out of Berryville a couple of times and I wanted to find it and ride it. So I traveled north on 23 to Eureka Springs, and then east on 64 to Berryville. In Berryville, right off 64, I took a right on 221 - Rockhouse Road. It was a great road. it doesn't compare to 123 and 374, my favorite roads, but it is by no means something I would blow off. There was not one car on this road the whole way. The roads were great, and the scenes beautiful.

During the Arkansas October Bash this year, those of you who head toward Eureka Springs should try this road. It's just a loop that runs from Berryville to Eureka on a fun road, crossing the Kings River. The River look wonderful from the road, and again, I wanted to get a closer look. I took a turn off at the top of a hill to head down to the river. That was some seriously bumpy unimproved, pitted, potholed, washboard, gravel, mud, dirt road. And STEEP at points too. I traveled it for a ways before I decided that I may be getting into something beyond my ability to get out of, so I retreated vowing to come back on the DR next time. Climbing back up out of the river valley on those roads was a hoot!!! Lots of fun.

Another time, I did some riding along 21, 16, 74, and 23. All good roads for those of you familiar with the area or who were at the Fall Bash last year. Along the way, I stopped at the Buffalo River to do some fly fishing. I saw a sign that said "Steel Creek Campground 1.8 miles" - a hiking trail. So I got my gear together and started the trip. 1.8 miles is a long way on foot through forest along cliffs with many changes in elevation. It was getting later and later, and I saw no campground at all. I gave up eventually, fearing I would be stuck trying to find my way through the woods in the dark. I'll make it another time. I came out again at the Buffalo River and was satisfied to just throw a line a few times there. I only caught a few little bluegills there and nothing more. Hmpfff. Smart and finicky fish! The scene was worth the stop whether or not there was a lot of fish caught.

On another day out, I rode through Kingston, a little town built on a square along 74/21, south of Eureka Springs, and northwest of Ponca. I was hungry by then, so I stopped at the little cafe there for a late lunch. In the Fall, if you are at the Bash, you may want to stop at the same cafe on the square and eat. I had an excellent hamburger, and they even tailor made a Peanut Butter Shake for me. I had to tell her how to do it, but it should be a staple on their menu now. I enjoy my conversation with this young lady. When her little junior high age brother saw me taking her photo, he did everything he could to aggravate her into laughing. It was hilarious just watching them interact.

And what a view I had from inside looking out!!!!

I think it was not long after lunch here that I ran into some of the thickest fog, I've ever seen. It was not raining at all, but I was soaked from the density of this fog. A fog comparable to the Tule fog of California, in my opinion!! It was really difficult to get through this.

I took a lot of photos along the road - mostly of barns. I love old barns. I love the patina of old wood. At this particular barn, I was met by a family of dogs. Five pups and their parents. At first they were ferocious and I was glad I was wearing armor!!!! But the closer they came to me, the more their tails were wagging and I just started laughing at how fierce they had pretended to be. However, like last year with the chickens, this year I was shooing puppies out of the road trying to keep them from becoming road kill. I eventually just had to leave so they would stop following me around. I still laugh at myself and the site it must have been - me walking around in full gear, helmet still on my head, shooing puppies out the way on 74/21!!!

Lately, I've been interested in the sight and stories of old cars rusting in fields or pastures. I had remembered seeing a couple on a ride a couple of days earlier, so one day was devoted to finding those old cars/trucks again and getting a photograph of them. Riding was incidental, only as it pertained to getting me to the old cars to photograph. I found this old Studebaker flat bed truck. I loved the colors of rust and paint in this old thing.

Then I came upon this car just out of Kingston, and stopped to photograph it.

Sitting in the front yard was an old, old car. I know nothing about old cars and don't really have an interest to know about them. I'm just drawn to the old rusting ones in fields. So I intended to pass up the old Model A? T? in the front yard of this home. Plus to photograph it, I would have to aim at their home, and most people don't take kindly to strangers photographing their homes from the streets. But I knew my dad would be interested, so I walked further up the road to be able to shoot it at an angle without must display of the front of their home. Walking past the driveway, I saw and elderly woman and man approaching me down the long dirt driveway. Uh oh. I pointed at my camera, (helmet still one head), trying to convey my only intention. I was met with a hand held up motioning me to stop. I put my camera down to my side, took off my helmet, and waited for Paul to finish his slow approach down the long drive. As he approached I asked him, "do you mind if I photograph the old truck?" "Naw. Not at all, but you better come up here closer if you wanna get a good shot at it." I smiled. I knew this was going to be an unforgettable afternoon for me. Paul was dressed in oil stained overalls, held up with a belt around his waist. His hair gave the impression that he had just awakened from a nap. His eyebrows were longer than some men's hair. His gait suggested he was ancient. His invitation spoke of their loneliness. And his kindness testified of true hospitality and friendship. THIS, this afternoon with Paul and Glenda, this sharing of old books about cars even though I had absolutely no interest, this invitation to wander around their pastures among rusting cars, this plea to stay longer and visit - this is the highlight of my travel and this is always the take away that fuels my energy and passion to go again and again. What a sweet couple they were. Glenda maybe said 3-5 words the whole time. Paul, shaking with Parkinson's disease, handled all the conversation - even when I was stepping back with my 90mm lens to get a photograph of him........ he just kept on talking. He'd look at me, knowing exactly what I was doing, but he would continue as if he had been photographed all his life. It was a priceless afternoon.

Here is Paul and his old car. Now this is a story in itself. When I first approached the car he said, "This, young lady, (I immediately liked him when he said that!), this is an original 1934 Model A Ford" in typical country Arkansas drawn out speech. I was smiling at the thought. As we walked around the car, there would be an addendum with each finger pointing, "well, now this here part, .... it's not the original part. It came from a 19__, ________ car." Or, something like this exchange, "Paul, those are huge rear fenders on this truck." "Yeah, hee hee, well, now darlin' those aren't the original fenders. I took two fenders and welded them together to come up with this. You can't find original fenders anymore." I'd shake my head and smile. Or, "Paul? Is that the gas tank?" "Well yes, but I made that myself. It's not original." After about the 7th or 8th, "well, now, darlin' those there ain't orignial......", all I could do was smile and laugh to myself at how 'un-original' this original was becoming each moment. I'm not sure if there is anything original on it, but........... when he tried to start it....... it started on the second try. Impressive. So here is the model A and some other old rusting cars - my original intent.

Another interesting hood ornament

It wasn't long before Paul was calling my attention back to his favorite automobile. He had gone in the house and retrieved four flags he prviously would fly on from it. He set it all up for me to see and to photograph. Both he and Glenda were really enjoying the photographs and attention and time we had together.

and here is Paul

I even got my photo taken while in the truck. I remarked, while getting in the truck, how small it was and that people must have been shorter than me to drive it and that's when I got another "well, that's not an original part speech." Apparently, he took the cab off a car and used it for the cab of the truck. By the time my afternoon was fading, I was more impressed with Paul's ability to fabricate a part or make another part fit, then I would have been with the original parts I think. His creativity and ingenuity were much more interesting then metal.

Those are some of the highlights of the Arkansas leg of my journey of summer 2008. I've fulfilled my duties as an Aunt in attending a high school graduation today, so in 36 hours I'll be leaving again for extended travel into the Rockies and hope to be able to post something from the road periodically. The first 4-5 days (depending on distance covered) will include my daughter - and that chapter might just be unlike any other report I've ever written!!! I took the days I was back in Texas to get some new tires for my bike and to get the hitch/trailer connection checked out. All ready to go now. Until then - here are some other photos from my days in Arkansas.

Kristi
05 Granite Grey
Ves
Basic User

Post by Ves »

Very nice.... I think this one is my favorite...
Ves (AKA Boy,Sledge, and Cheap Bastid)
BMWEW1
Basic User

Post by BMWEW1 »

GypsyRR-- you have a real gift for writing and sharing your experiences, def keep up your fabulous contributions to the Great Rides! Had 2 questions- do you prepare your writeups in WORD or something then paste into the message board window or do directly in the window? And what cameras do you travel with?
EW
'03 R1150R, '05 Ural Patrol, '05 KLR650....Wash, DC
GypsyRR
Centurionette!

Post by GypsyRR »

EW,

Thank you for your encouragement.

I type directly into the message window of the forum when I can, and usually that has been at the end of a trip. However, this summer I will be on the road for several weeks and often without internet, so my plan will change. I'll take time before bed every 2-3 days to write. If I don't have internet, then I'll have to write in a word document and then copy/paste it the next time I get internet.

I guess I can add "cameras" to the overkill list, because on this trip, I'm carrying 4 of them!!! Two point and shoot cameras and two DSLR's. I have an older Nikon coolpix point and shoot that is only 3.5 megapixels. But on the bike - it takes the most stable shots. It's beat up and worn out, and I usually have to repair something on each trip. The lens cover no longer closes all the way, sometimes the lens doesn't even shut, and the threads for the tripod mount are stripped, so I can't keep it mounted on my bike anymore. That means I have to shoot while holding it. But as long as I can keep it working, I prefer it over the newer point and shoot I have.

The other point and shoot is an updated Nikon Coolpix that will mount on the bike, but I'm never as pleased with the photos. I carry it as a backup, and also for times when I'm going to be in situations where I don't think I can safely hand hold a camera for a photo and ride at the same time.

The two DSLR cameras traveling with me are a Canon XT and a Canon 40D as well as five different lenses (maybe six this time). I can only do that because I'm trailering on this trip. Normally, if I was only traveling by bike, I would carry the XT and maybe a couple of lenses if I had room for them. Otherwise I put on a 'walk around' "do all' lens and always regret that I didn't have room for more. The XT is lighter, smaller, and cheaper then the 40D, so I risk less with it on the bike. Neither one of the cameras are professional grade cameras, but they are still too expensive for me to easily replace. Therefore, I'm pretty careful about where, when, and how I carry them on a mc trip. I try not to carry the 40D on the motorcycle at all. I can't risk damage to it. But there are going to be times when I'm not working, fishing, or riding, and I think I would enjoy taking some time for photography with the 40D then.
Kristi
05 Granite Grey
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Gypsy-
Thanks for the great travelogue and pics. The fog really does look like Kern County in January; brings back memories of driving Hwy99 to Fresno from home in Bakersfield, keeping a steady 55 and counting lane divider stripes visible in front of the car... bad fog was 2-3 stripes, white-knuckled, braced for impact.

That last campsite looked civilized enough for Mr. and Mrs. Sweatmark! Neither of us is much of a tent camper, though I'll try my hand again at pitching tent in the dark at the Oregon BMW Chief Joseph rally this month. No, truth be told, we are more of the yurt camping types:
http://www.oregon.gov/OPRD/PARKS/rustic.shtml
We bring our electric coffee maker, of course.

If anyone's interested, then the following proved a nice place to stay a dozen years ago, prior to its change in ownership:
http://www.beavertowninn.com/lodging.html
While not in Eureka Springs, it's close enough to buzz into town, while remaining very quiet and low-key. Spent a day there while driving a Bimmer (bought sight unseen, kinda like my Rockster!) back home to Chicagoland from Oklahoma.

Keep the Great Rides documentaries coming!