Page 1 of 1

more goodies (Optilux lights, RCU brackets, tank bag, etc.)

Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:45 pm
by rdsmith3
I already have motolights mounted down low for conspicuity (on all the time). I wanted to add driving lights, mounted high, and I chose the budget option of Optilux 2500 Angel Eyes (made by Hella).

http://www.rallylights.com/Optilux/optilux_2500.asp

They have an outer ring that lights up, similar to bimmer headlights. However, you cannot really see the effect in these daylight pictures.

I wired the ring light to the parking light, and the driving lights come on with the high beams. (I used relays for the driving lights.) Because there are two sets of wires coming out of each light, it makes wire management a challenge, and my solution is somewhat industrial looking. The lights work well, but the whole setup is definitely a case of function over form. With all the lights on at high beam, I am putting out more than 300 watts -- 100 watt high beam, two 55 watt H3 bulbs in the driving lights, and two 50 watt yellow MR16 halogen bulbs in the Motolights.

I used the RCU brackets from A&S. Yes, the brackets cost more than the lights. I had to drill holes for the Optilux brackets. (If you look carefully you can see that I mis-drilled on one bracket because the bit wandered slightly.) I also had to paint the brackets black.

I also added a Bags Connection Day Pack tank bag with the quick release.

I have new Metzler Z6's front and rear.

Finally, I have a newish thermometer meant for aquariums. The sensor is below the front fender, out of the sun and away from the engine.

EDIT: I also added some nice seat risers that I got from johnnyjs1. Yes, a bunch of ordinary washers would have accomplished the same thing, but I am a sucker for a very nicely machined piece of metal. Even though no one else can see the quality parts that gave me an extra 1/2" of seat height, I know they are there, and my boys and I get some satisfaction from them.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Re: more goodies (lights, tank bag, etc.)

Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:00 pm
by Airman
Are those the RCU light brackets ?
Nice install. Did you put in separate fused circuits or did the lights come with a harness ? I'm planning to install a pair of PIAA 910's the same was with the RCU brackets and the AP-2 fuse panel. Have not decided how to do the switch yet.

Re: more goodies (lights, tank bag, etc.)

Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:22 pm
by rdsmith3
Airman wrote:Are those the RCU light brackets ?
Nice install. Did you put in separate fused circuits or did the lights come with a harness ? I'm planning to install a pair of PIAA 910's the same was with the RCU brackets and the AP-2 fuse panel. Have not decided how to do the switch yet.

Yes, they are RCU brackets.

The lights came with a way-too-long harness, including fuse and relay. The trigger for the relay goes to the high beam circuit. The other side of the relay is connected directly to the battery.

Re: more goodies (lights, tank bag, etc.)

Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:19 pm
by Airman
rdsmith3 wrote:
Airman wrote:Are those the RCU light brackets ?
Nice install. Did you put in separate fused circuits or did the lights come with a harness ? I'm planning to install a pair of PIAA 910's the same was with the RCU brackets and the AP-2 fuse panel. Have not decided how to do the switch yet.

Yes, they are RCU brackets.

The lights came with a way-too-long harness, including fuse and relay. The trigger for the relay goes to the high beam circuit. The other side of the relay is connected directly to the battery.
I may trigger the 910's off the hi beam as well. I almost never use highs in town anyhow. PIAA sets also come with a harness, but I plan to wire them off the the AP-2 like I said. I think the RCU brackets are a really clean way to install lights on the RR.

Re: more goodies (lights, tank bag, etc.)

Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:52 pm
by bikermeow
What is on your rear rack? a Luggage carrier? Would appreciate a close-up.

Re: more goodies (lights, tank bag, etc.)

Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:12 pm
by rdsmith3
bikermeow wrote:What is on your rear rack? a Luggage carrier? Would appreciate a close-up.
It's for a J.C. Whitney top case that I occasionally use.

Image