Page 1 of 1

GS Handguard spoilers... and some pics.

Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:18 pm
by stilldking
I was looking for some advice on how best to mount the spoilers for a set of GS handguards. I failed to notice the distance between the mirror arms and the guards was less than 1". I just received the spoilers friday and when I went to install them, that's when I noticed the lack of clearance. (Man, I feel like a doofus.) Anyway, what suggestions would best allow me to make use of the spoilers? I'd like to install them since it can get a little chilly here in NoDak.
Also, I'd rather avoid sawing/grinding on the new spoilers to make them fit. Would a different mirror work or are there extenders to raise the mirror mounts up a couple inches?
Thanks in advance for your help.
John C.

Here's a close-up of the stock mirror and handguard.
Image

And here's a pic of the old girl. (as of Sep 07 and pre-Hand-guards)
Image

Re: GS Handguard spoilers... and some pics.

Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:04 pm
by Beemeridian
45

Re: GS Handguard spoilers... and some pics.

Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:30 pm
by stilldking
I haven't even attempted to mount them yet since there's no room. I'll put them where they should go and take a pic.

Here's the spoiler in front of and beside the guard.
Image
Image

There's no room for the spoiler to be mounted. That's what I'm lookin' for info on. What have other members of the board done to install the spoilers and/or what would you recommend?
Thanks

JC

Re: GS Handguard spoilers... and some pics.

Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:59 pm
by Beemeridian
45

Re: GS Handguard spoilers... and some pics.

Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:26 pm
by stilldking
I remember reading that post after I had installed the guards. (I installed them in Nov 07.) Actually, I did almost the same flow without having to resort to cutting anything. Now, since the guards only stop airflow to the lower part of my hand, I'm trying to mount the spoilers for a little more upper hand protection.
Does anyone know if there is a way to mount the mirrors higher, such as an extension OR could another bikes mirrors be mounted in the stock location to give the necessary clearance? I'm not opposed to installing mirrors from a GS or K bike if that'd do the trick. I'd like to get the mirrors a little higher anyway since it's tough to see around (myself in heavy winter riding jacket) in their current location.
Thanks again.
JC

Re: GS Handguard spoilers... and some pics.

Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:18 am
by CycleRob
Use the mirror's pivoting ball socket to make room. I see some adjustment still available in the pics. Hold the mirror stalks and move both mirrors forward against their limit imposed by the ball socket. Then, loosen the nuts to rotate the mirror stalks rearward until the road image behind is what it used to be. It may give you the gap you need for the spoilers.

.

Re: GS Handguard spoilers... and some pics.

Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:49 am
by RRDallas
stilldking: how did you make out on your handguard installation? Did the mirror pivot idea work? I have some GS handguards on order. If you have final installation pics, I would love to see them.

Re: GS Handguard spoilers... and some pics.

Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:39 pm
by stilldking
Sorry for the lack of response folks, I've been busy with getting my retirement stuff in order. Only eight calender days and I'll be free.
Anyway, it's looking like tomorrow and this weekend will get to a decent temp so I can give it a shot. I'll update more and throw in a few pics too. I've been toying with the idea of using 3M Dual Lock (think: Mega Velcro) to attach it since I'd like to be able to remove the spoilers for a little more airflow in the summer. Any suggestions?
Thanks again.

John C.

Re: GS Handguard spoilers... and some pics.

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:29 am
by stilldking
So, what's the penalty for resurecting an old thread?
I just installed a set of K12 Mirrors on my bike tonight and what do yah know? I have enough room for the GS Spoilers to fit. Looks like tomorrows project is assured. (As well as a few pics of the final install.)
Thanks again to everyone for a LOT of great advice and info!!!

JC

Re: GS Handguard spoilers... and some pics.

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:57 am
by awagnon
stilldking wrote:I just installed a set of K12 Mirrors on my bike tonight and what do yah know? I have enough room for the GS Spoilers to fit.
It will be interesting to see if the K12 Mirrors and deflectors work. From your original picture, it looks like part of the problem might be air hitting the mirror and being deflected down behind the hand guard against the back of your hand. If so, will the spoilers and K12 mirrors correct the problem?

Re: GS Handguard spoilers... and some pics.

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:12 pm
by stilldking
Al,
You're right on the money! The new mirrors and spoilers made a TON of difference and don't look too bad neither.
Image

Image

Used my original idea of attaching them with 3M Dual Lock tape (Velcro on steroids).
Image

This made the wind blocking more effective, almost felt like Hippo-hands since there was almost no wind meeting my hands.
These are gonna be great for cooler mornings and I should be ableto remove them fairly quickly with the Dual-lock.

JC

Re: GS Handguard spoilers... and some pics.

Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:25 pm
by Buckster
Looks great! Where did you buy the 3M Dual lock?

Re: GS Handguard spoilers... and some pics.

Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:14 am
by stilldking
I found it at Menards, but you could probably find it at Lowes or Home Depot. Usually in the tape isle.

JC

Re: GS Handguard spoilers... and some pics.

Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:09 pm
by bubbac45
Thanks very much for the photos and the detailed install.
I just put the hand guards on my rockster (with r1150r bars)
and I get a lot of spill, from the big BMW touring windscreen, directly onto the back of my hands BBBRRRR

I wonder if the spoilers will help
thanks for any help
Cheers
Chris c
(I need to plan this out before as I am in Shanghai and the bike is in Tucson so will have to move fast with the install)