Page 1 of 1

Help with BMW Battery Tender

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:39 pm
by PorJoeS
For the last 1.5 years I've been plugging my new BMW tender into the aux jack with no problems. The red light would blink and eventually I would get a solid green light. Several weeks ago I noticed that the light would continued to blink red and that my clock stopped working. I relplaced the fuse and now the clock works great, however the light is still blinking red. Any ideas why I can't get my solid green light back? My bike is a 2002 with 6k and I'm not sure if the battery is replaced or not (I'm the second owner).

Thanks for any help.

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:54 pm
by Biff's R
First Check your battery. If it is the original, it is probably toast, since it could be 6 years old.

Have you accidently dropped the tender or anything like that? They can be damaged, but Deltran who manufactures them has a great customer service department.

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:00 pm
by OU812
Even when my battery went south, the tender still turned green. :roll:

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:53 pm
by PorJoeS
Thanks you for your comments. I tried the tender on a different bike and the light eventually went green. It seems odd that the battery would go bad the same time I had a fuse out for a week. Although I probably am in need of a battery soon, I don't see any other symptoms of a bad battery; dim lights, slow start, clicks, ect. I am not using an OEM fuse? Could that be a problem? It is a 15amp fuse and the clock is working perfect. I have not tried plugging my vest in to see if it works.

Thanks again for responding.

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:34 pm
by Beemeridian
87

Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:25 am
by PorJoeS
Thank you everyone for the help. Beemeridian you were spot on. Last night I unscrewed the connector to find a very loose connection. Maybe that is how I blew the fuse in the first place? 30 seconds and a small flat head screw driver later the problem was solved.

I do think that my battery (replaced or not) is probably heading south soon and this was a reminder to starting thinking about a replacement.

Thank you very much.