Page 1 of 1
Cleaning the R12R
Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:45 am
by hass
Ok, got caught in some really heavy rain yesterday on the way home from work - some puddles were so deep the water washed over my footpegs!
Today I cleaned the bike, well, as best I could. I found out that it has 1000 little nooks and crannies that are hard to clean. I think I need to find a 5 year old with small hands that can help me!
Anyone got any tips regarding cleaning the R12R? I don't want to use a jetwash on it due to the possible damage and/or water infiltration.
Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:21 am
by Dauntless
Be careful when you open the gas tank after you wash the bike. Water collects around the rim and some might drip into your tank. The drain holes don't work very well. This happens on my bike as well as the service loaner I rode the other day so it must be normal.
cleaning
Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:03 am
by hankth
I use Mister Moto Wash that you just spay on and rinse off with a SLOW running hose, then dry with a water absorbing cloth. S100 works the same way. It's amazing how well it works, even on wheel crud. You need to rub the wheels a little with a sponge if they are really dirty. Make sure you rinse well with slow running water. I do have to use a plastic cleaner on the sheild and head light to get the dried bugs off. I usually do that first. Good luck , Hank.
Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:01 am
by AllanCook
I use the foaming S100 a couple of times a year. Works beautifully. Just spray it on and hose it off. Dry the bike and you're good to go.
Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:14 am
by mogu83
When I wash my bikes I usually hose everything down. Naturally I take it easy around the more sensitive areas (mostly gauges). The way I see it, if their is a problem going to be caused by water I'd rather find out about it in my driveway than out on some back road in the driving rain 500 miles from home.
That's also why I hesitate to wash my bike when I'm on the road unless I really have to.
IMHO, not to be tried by non professionals, etc,etc
Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:17 pm
by ka5ysy
Simple Green cleaner. Works great!. S100 foam is also pretty good.
Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:36 pm
by LeonardoNYC
Re: Cleaning the R12R
Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:00 pm
by NCGS
[quote="hass"]Anyone got any tips regarding cleaning the R12R? I don't want to use a jetwash on it due to the possible damage and/or water infiltration.[/quote]
Hass, Take it from me, a totally anal sumbich when it comes to keeping my bikes clean - buy one of these brushes. It's completely changed the way I clean my bikes. And it works.. It's soft, pliable, and it'll get into 'nooks and crannies' that you didn't even know existed.
Best twenty bucks you'll spend on cleaning supplies.
http://www.hawg-wash.com/ezdetailbrush.html