V Strom 1000 vs. R1150R
Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:53 pm
While I'm waiting to get home to pick up my new F800 next week, a few of us on the course I'm attending rented bikes and rode the Sea to Sky highway from Vancouver to Whistler B.C. today.
I had a V Strom 1000, and although the pace was quite tame to accommodate a new rider (her second time on a bike since passing her test and she did really well on a challenging road) there are some interesting comparisons to the 1150R.
The V Strom red lines at 9500, and really needed to run at 3500 to pull at all. Below that it felt as though it was lugging, especially in the upper gears. 6th gear was useless below 100 km/h. I would compare it to the 1150R at less than 2500 rpm.
If I kept the engine spinning about 4000 it was happy enough, so I found I spent a fair bit of time shifting gears to accommodate. The riding position was quite comfortable and handling good enough, but the engine wasn't a patch on the 1150R.
Next week I get the F800ST, so that will be an interesting comparison as well.
I had a V Strom 1000, and although the pace was quite tame to accommodate a new rider (her second time on a bike since passing her test and she did really well on a challenging road) there are some interesting comparisons to the 1150R.
The V Strom red lines at 9500, and really needed to run at 3500 to pull at all. Below that it felt as though it was lugging, especially in the upper gears. 6th gear was useless below 100 km/h. I would compare it to the 1150R at less than 2500 rpm.
If I kept the engine spinning about 4000 it was happy enough, so I found I spent a fair bit of time shifting gears to accommodate. The riding position was quite comfortable and handling good enough, but the engine wasn't a patch on the 1150R.
Next week I get the F800ST, so that will be an interesting comparison as well.