Wiring Diagram

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

AZBMWRIDER
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Wiring Diagram

Post by AZBMWRIDER »

I'm having lighting issues in the instruments, found a diagram online, but the wire colors don't match my bike .
If someone has a diagram for an '02 R, could they post it here .
Thanks !!
'02 R1150R, Atlanta Blue
Been riding since 1979, BMW's since 1981 .
4 R65's, '87 Guzzi V65 Lario .
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Re: Wiring Diagram

Post by kirby »

Clymer manual, maybe get it on line has that diagram I'm think'in. Mine is back at the shop will look when I get home.
You didn't state the problem so?? there is a relay under the seat of my '04 that is a "lighting" relay and I believe it controls the instruments at least on my machine.

Instrument cluster fuse is #1 on the left looking forward. 4 amp.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
AZBMWRIDER
Basic User

Post by AZBMWRIDER »

I've got the dreaded broken wire in the steering head area, speedometer and clock internal lighting inop .
'02 R1150R, Atlanta Blue
kirby

Post by kirby »

I see.
I'm traveling but home soon if all goes well and I will look in my clymers, it has good electrical diagrams.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
swamper
Basic User

Post by swamper »

Take the tank off. Peal off the old aged wire sleeve and look for the problem, they are usually obvious. Then rewrap with the newer tape all you wiring.
02R1150R,02R1150Rabs,04R1150R :D 02R1100S,05R1100S(BCR), :shock: (2)-S1000XR :smt003
IBA#7147
AZBMWRIDER
Basic User

Post by AZBMWRIDER »

I looked the wires over on that side and could not find any broken wires this time .
'02 R1150R, Atlanta Blue
kirby

Post by kirby »

I know this might sound silly but you did check all the blubs right? Over the years I have preplaced many and sometime 2 at a time. Also they sometimes lose continuity from vibration.(and the dreaded corrosion of the connections in the bulb sockets.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
kirby

Post by kirby »

CLYMER MANUAL SHOWS 3 WIRES THAT GO FROM A PLUG (CONNECTOR) One will be a ground, one goes to the high beam indicator, (appears to be white) and a striped wire (no color indicated that powers all the instrument lights. That wire also powers the (thru the harness the lic. tag light.
All I have, good luck...

PS check the bulb sockets w/ign on,
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
AZBMWRIDER
Basic User

Post by AZBMWRIDER »

I found one confirmed failed bulb, decided to put everything back together and order some bulbs .
BMW wants a little over $5 each for these bulbs, the IPC shows three different bulbs for indicator lighting, I ordered one of each .
Did some research and it looks like the bulb is an SAE 658, I'll look around locally and see if they are available .
Also looked into LED replacement, contacted Superbrightled, got a response that in LED, this bulb is known as a 74, looked at the dimensions of the LED replacement and it looks like the two they have are too long .
I may order one adjust it's length and see if it still works .
I do a lot of night riding and I need an upgrade for indicator lighting, my old tired eyes are not as good as they used to be !! :biggrin:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinf ... t-car/228/

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinf ... t-car/227/
'02 R1150R, Atlanta Blue
kirby

Post by kirby »

Take the bulbs to an auto parts store like auto zone and you can buy the bulbs of 1.5 w/2. w for a fraction of that. I carry 3 or 4 in my riding kit.
Very subject to vibration making them lose continuity or corrosion. I use De Oxit anti corrosion spray every time I replace one or some I know use dielectric grease. (also Vaseline.)
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER