Page 1 of 2

aftermarket seats again

Posted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:42 pm
by TWI
OK, I thought my butt was happy. With the tall seat option it certainly felt like it was. On the 14 mile commute, or 25 mile dash to the alternate work site and back it felt like it was. Until last Sunday.

A few buddies and I went out for a ride on roads with moderate to low speeds and lots of turns. The distance covered was only about 180 miles, but it took over 5 hours. During the last hour my butt wanted to be some place else.

It looks like an aftermarket seat may be necessary after all.

Nuts.

Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:39 am
by celticus
My butt is getting more used to the seat. I may still buy an aftermarket one but for the time being I'm O Tay.
Mark

Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 4:22 am
by DRothermel
I also have the tall seat and although I find it much more comfortable than the standard height, it still can be better. I did a 600 mile day last month headed down to the Smokey's without too much problem but (or is that butt?) I am hoping that the RM seat will take me to a whole new level in comfort. One of my riding buds does a RM seat on every one of his bikes for years and absloutely swears by them.

Wiley Ruffus should have his RM seat any day now. He may have pics and a ride report soon.

Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 5:14 pm
by wkincaid
With the standard seat I'm good for about an hour, then my rear end tells me it wants to be somewhere else. I've tried the Bead Rider set of beads and that only prolonged my misery. It seems a lot of riders are opting for the RM seat, so maybe I should give Rick a try. Of course, ordering a custom seat at this time of the riding season will put me way back in the queue. Butt, I know one thing - I have to do something.

Bill

Posted: Fri May 11, 2007 12:23 pm
by r12r-don
I picked up my bike last Saturday. I dropped it off yesterday for the 600 mile service with 595 miles on it. I can say that after 300 miles on one of those days on twisties, highway and everything in between I was suprisingly okay.

What I still need is a back rest to pop into the current configuration for the wifey. Anyone know of one? Mind that I don't have a top box with the luggage rack - I left the standard rear end.

Posted: Fri May 11, 2007 1:58 pm
by celticus
The Pirate at Pirateslair may have a stealth backrest for a K bike soon that will fit ours. K1200R S maybe?

Mark

Posted: Sun May 13, 2007 7:07 pm
by DRothermel
Mark: Pirateslair should have a backrest for our bikes by mid summer. At least that's what he told me in Feb. Our luggage rack and the KGT rack are the exact same configuration so when the GT backrest is available, we are also good to go, however, it will be built to mount onto the luggage rack, so without a rack, no backrest.

Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 7:52 am
by r12r-don
Does anyone know of an option if I don't have the luggage rack?
I'm thinking a new seat is becoming the only option.
Any thoughts would be appreicated as the stock seat is suiting me fine for now.

Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 5:17 pm
by WileyRufus
I received the new Rick Mayer seat this weekend and rode it for about 4 hrs. on Sunday. That's not enough hours for a good evaluation, but it's more comfortable than the stock seat at the end of that amount. I wasn't walking funny after the ride! I will take a photo and try to figure out how to post it soon.
Jerry

Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 5:22 pm
by DRothermel
Okay Jerry, you've had over four minutes.......where's the pic???????

Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 3:34 pm
by Lost Rider
Nice to meet you Jerry!
That seat sure is nice, I'm going to figure out a way to get mine done too.

If need help posting try using http://www.imageshack.com a free hosting service or PM me.

Cheers!

Posted: Wed May 16, 2007 3:46 am
by celticus
Jerry , I'm not sure if this has come up before , but where is the Picture?
Mark

Posted: Mon May 28, 2007 6:42 pm
by Robert_winter_1000
Jerry , We are still waiting for the news and the pictures of your new seat..
Regards
Robert

Posted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:03 pm
by Karamazov
I have to admit, when I saw all the complaints about the seat on the R, I kinda figured you all for Sallies. On the test ride I took, the seat seemed plenty comfortable. I did a break in trip this weekend (500+ miles) and there's no question about the seat's uncomfortability on longer days. The rock hard bench seat on my Bonneville was better.

Seems like the design puts a lot of pressure in a few spots and there's no way to shift it anywhere else. I had to stand up a lot on the last hour or so today. I'm gonna try some rowing shorts, then a sheepskin if I have to. I'm heading out west for 2 weeks next month, so I'm gonna have to find some way to make her more comfortable.

Nathan (Sally)

Posted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:16 pm
by deilenberger
Two suggestions before you go the custom seat route (using both have turned 30 minute BMW seats into all-day ones for me):

http://www.ldcomfort.com/ - the riding shorts. No seams in the butt, no bunching up and no pressure points. If you get the dry-liner version also no monkey butt.

http://www.starcushion.com/consumer.php - the FreedomAir air-cushion. Spreads your weight, and allows air circulation. Better in my experience than an AirHawk (same idea) since it has "relief" for your private parts. The AirHawk caused painful bunching up in that area for me. FreedomAir doesn't.

I have ridden the Roadster about 6.5 hours with just the LDComfort shorts (and pants and aerostitch) - and was OK until the last 30 minutes. I had the FreedomAir cushion with me - but didn't bother stopping to put it on since I knew I'd be home in less than 30 minutes.

If I'm planning an all day ride - both should keep me comfortable. They did on my old RS that had a way more uncomfortable seat (30 minute seat) than the Roadster does. And they don't really raise you up when you come to a stop (which some custom seats do - and I can't afford..)

Posted: Tue May 29, 2007 5:37 am
by celticus
I thought I was getting usedf to my seat but after about 3 hours of a 4 hour ride Sunday both me and the wife were squirming in pain on the stock seat. Seems like the rubber it's made of is sticky also which keeps me from easily sliding on it.
I will be gettting a new seat as soon as it is convenient.
Mark

Posted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:36 pm
by Robert_winter_1000
Hello Mark,
I have the same problem. I was reading the messages in this forum which show that many members having the same complain. The problem is that there is no clear solution or answer for it. Some people are talking about sheepskin, Airhawk, Sargent seat, Rick Meyer Seat, etc…but which one is going to solve my problem? I don’t know?
Regards
Robert

Posted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:23 pm
by deilenberger
Robert_winter_1000 wrote:Hello Mark,
I have the same problem. I was reading the messages in this forum which show that many members having the same complain. The problem is that there is no clear solution or answer for it. Some people are talking about sheepskin, Airhawk, Sargent seat, Rick Meyer Seat, etc…but which one is going to solve my problem? I don’t know?
Regards
Robert
Robert, you won't know until either you describe exactly what's troubling you so people who have the same symptoms can give some hints OR try purchasing some of the suggested fixes and finding out what works for yourself.

I've gone the buy it all myself route - and it's expensive. A Sargent seat was much worse for me than a BMW seat (K75S).. I had 3 different seats on that bike before I had one that was tolerable.

My problem is chronic arthritis in my hips/back, and the usual hot spots caused by pressure points in the butt. I've posted what took care of it for me in a prior post. YMMV - and most likely will unless you have the exact same problems.

Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 3:28 am
by celticus
My main cause of pain on the stock seat was my prostate. After a while I felt like all of my weight was being supported by that small portion of the seat which was beneath my prostate.
I tried sheep skin but it was no help.
The Sergent's seat I had on my K1200RS was comfortable to me.
Mark

Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 12:30 am
by TWI
On the '99 R1100RS bike I had the Sargeant World Sport seat was great. Six hours of riding, back home, ready for another six hours.

To each his own [butt].