F800ST to R1200R?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

bobw
Basic User
Posts: 288
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:11 pm
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Morganton, NC

Re: F800ST to R1200R?

Post by bobw »

Exposed jugs, what's not to love? Just to keep us humble, one should remember the Italien's offer models with those same endearments, but that their's are a bit perkier. =P~ :badgrin:
papasong
Lifer
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:48 am
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Arlington, MA

Re: F800ST to R1200R?

Post by papasong »

It's raining today, so I might have to reschedule my test ride of the R1200R.

There is also an opportunity for me to trade up to a 2006 K1200R with only about 150 miles on it.
I test rode this about a week ago, and the transmission was kind of rough (it's been sitting in a garage since it was purchased new). So it needs all updates and a good thorough servicing (fluids, brakes, etc). It handled very well, for me.

While I'm in a holding pattern regarding the R1200R, anyone have any thoughts on how the K1200R compares to the R1200R?
Any warnings about the 2006 year of the K1200R?

Thanks,
Jeff
Current: 2009 R1200R Night Black
Past: 2008 F800ST Graphitan
Lifer #864
Radar in oz
Lifer
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:09 pm
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Sydney

Re: F800ST to R1200R?

Post by Radar in oz »

papasong wrote:
While I'm in a holding pattern regarding the R1200R, anyone have any thoughts on how the K1200R compares to the R1200R?
Any warnings about the 2006 year of the K1200R?
I have ridden a borrowed K1200R (I think 2005 model) for a couple of days, and would be riding it again 1000 km this weekend, to deliver it interstate for a mate, if I didn't have a bad head-cold. But I'm stuck at home instead.

You will notice the R1200R it is very different.

The boxer engine does not 'spin up' anywhere near as quickly as the K, it has more character instead. The R1200R doesn't have servo-assisted brakes, the K1200 does (I don't like them). The R12R lifts the front wheel on the throttle in low gears, the K12 has much more weight on the front wheel and simply accelerates VERY quickly with less 'drama' (apart from wheelspin). You need to change gears on the R12R to keep going. On the K1200R changing gears seems to me to be mosty optional at legal speeds (it seems happy at any speed in just about any gear, the engine is so tractable). The R1200R has a more comfortable riding position with much less weight on the wrists. My R1200R has a lighter clutch than my mate's K1200R which becomes a bit tiresome in city traffic. The R1200R is lighter and easier to manouver at low speeds, the K bike has a bigger turning circle, and a higher centre of gravity.

If you get off one and onto the other, these differences are immediately noticeable.

I much prefer my R1200R overall.

Cheers
Radar
bobw
Basic User
Posts: 288
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:11 pm
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Morganton, NC

Re: F800ST to R1200R?

Post by bobw »

The KR had some issues in their early days, but what a bike! I would check i-bmw or K-bikes forum to do some research with dedicated K owners and search the archives. I lust for one, but went with the R1200R due to my overall love of twins, the classic good looks, great reliability history and HUGE grin factor while riding. The K's are amazing and continue to tempt me even as I type this :badgrin: I would think back to back test rides will speak to you very quickly as to the best fit.

Good luck!
papasong
Lifer
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:48 am
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Arlington, MA

Re: F800ST to R1200R?

Post by papasong »

UPDATE:

Test ride was sweet. The only bike they had available at that time, though, was one with low seat and lowered suspension. Definitely too low for me.
The different weight distribution will take some getting used to. Also, I will have to improve/modify my technique in the down shifts. The F800ST is very forgiving (stable) during downshifting/engine braking.

But I'm going for it! :D I put down the deposit, and a black 2009 R1200R (standard seat and standard suspension) is on it's way to my dealer with my name on it. I'll ride this one just be to sure, but it's only going to feel more comfortable to me than the lowered model.

I have to trade in my loyal F800ST to do the deal, and I will miss her a lot. Ideally I would have been happy to keep both...
For the record, I think the F800ST is an awesome bike, super smooth transmission, gas mileage can't be beat, great handling, well designed.
I want all those things plus more power, boxer twin, shaft drive, better suspension, better bags, etc.

I will let you all know when the deal is done.

Thanks for all the feedback and support.
Best,
Jeff
Current: 2009 R1200R Night Black
Past: 2008 F800ST Graphitan
Lifer #864
bobw
Basic User
Posts: 288
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:11 pm
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Morganton, NC

Re: F800ST to R1200R?

Post by bobw »

Congrats! Now the dreaded waiting begins. =D>
Post Reply