Fuel disconnect . . .

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

jbuzbee
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Fuel disconnect . . .

Post by jbuzbee »

. . . broke. Cracked off at the neck. 2004 non-abs with 23,000+ miles. We had an abrupt temp change here - not a drastic change - just abrupt: went from 72 +/- to 50's low. I believe it was 53 this morning. Would that be enough of a change to widen an already hairline fracture? I guess so. The last time I had the tank off was probably the end of last winter. Maybe it's all that off-road riding I've been doing lately. 8)

I'm gonna trailer her to the dealer tomorrow am. This is the only problem I've had in 23K miles. Still in love . . ..
James Buzbee
There was a time when a man was free to make his own way in the world . . ..
warwkbass
Basic User

Post by warwkbass »

Mine did the same thing...in the middle of summer...an hour away from Tampa. Let me know if there is a good mechanic in town - I have heard of one in Ocala (home) but word of mouth never hurts. By the way, the procedures here for replacement of the (pos) original plastic couplers with brass fittings is FANTASTIC - I did this myuself over the summer and have had zero problems since.
jbuzbee
Basic User

Post by jbuzbee »

Brass - do tell . . .

and by the way RTM on Florida Ave has a great BMW tech. He does all my non-computer work.
James Buzbee
rdsmith3
Lifer
Donating Member #: 74

Post by rdsmith3 »

The brass ones are here:

http://r1150r.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=7474

I have those but have not had a chance to put them on yet.

I did put the plastic ones one, same as OEM but much cheaper than the BMW price. I also put new clamps on. see here:

http://r1150r.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=6872
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74
Arbreacames
Basic User

Post by Arbreacames »

I need to replace the o-rings on my quick disconnects. I found that the local ACE hardware store has some #6 5/16X1/16 o-rings that seem to be the right size. Can anybody tell me if these o-rings will resist in a fuel environment?
Last edited by Arbreacames on Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carlos D.
bad n ruin
Lifer

O-Rings

Post by bad n ruin »

They need to be Viton or Buna-N (nitrile), both are common.
Ride to work, work to ride
jbuzbee
Basic User

Post by jbuzbee »

Ouch - 150.00USD later and the R is back on the road for this weekend. Thanks for the link to the Omega units: I'm going to buy a set for a summer project (no NOT winter - summer: here in Florida when it's too darn hot to ride I like to work in my air-conditioned shop!).
James Buzbee
Arbreacames
Basic User

Post by Arbreacames »

And I am still looking locally for a Viton or Buna-N o-ring... The ones I have found so far don't say what they are made of!
Carlos D.
HiOSilver
Lifer

Post by HiOSilver »

I have installed the brass quick dis-connects from SmallParts that you see in my post here :http://r1150r.org/board/viewtopic.php?p ... ght=#63960. They were about $10 bucks apeice and work great.

Yes, there has been discussion about swelling of o-rings with these, but no reports that I find credible for two reasons: 1. The o-rings are the Buna-N (non-swelling) type. 2. I have just replaced the fuel filter on my 04 RR and had no trouble with dis-connecting or re-connecting. The bottom line is that they are working fine for me. You can spend more money, but I don't think you're getting anything for it.

The most important thing to remember is that the stock plastic one can absolutely leave you stranded so take some preventative action. Good luck, whatever direction you go.
-Chris
04 Silver R
Lifetime member #423
popgazer
Basic User

Post by popgazer »

HiOSilver wrote:I have installed the brass quick dis-connects from SmallParts that
I have just replaced the fuel filter on my 04 RR and had no trouble with dis-connecting or re-connecting.
I did tried those, and they sure swelled as it was impossible with the force of my bare hands to put it back on. I wonder which of these explanation is likely:
1- Smallparts Inc (after receiving a bunch of phone calls, including one from me) has switched to a different o-ring that doesn't swell.
Or
2- The time it took to change the fuel filter was enough to allow for re-connecting.

Would you please try to disconnect and reconnect as an experiment.
And, can you post the information on the Smallparts packaging like model #, batch etc. ? Just so I can compare it with mine. Thanks.
Nobody is sure perfect, but she practiced tirelessly !
HiOSilver
Lifer

Post by HiOSilver »

Pop,

That was a good idea. I just got back from the garage and I had no trouble dis-connecting and then re-connecting the couplers. If you follow the link to SmallParts on my previous post you'll see that the o-ring is in fact the Buna-n type. I think it's perfectly plausable that they changed the o-ring type but more likely they have a similar product that uses a different o-ring (I didn't do a search for that).

The only reason I've mentioned these in several different but related posts is the reasonableness of the price. Anyway, there are a number of different solutions, but doing nothing is asking to be stranded IMHO.
-Chris
04 Silver R
Lifetime member #423
stig
Basic User

Post by stig »

Just a thought but, perhaps a marine centre would carry a range of fuel compatible quick releases for removeable fuel tanks for boats that are better than plastic.

Stig
dnat928

Post by dnat928 »

Since my new (to me) 2002 RR gave an occasional whif of gas fumes upon startup, I knew I was going to have to dig in someday. Someday came soon, when gas came pouring down the right side of the engine. Knew is was a pressure line. The pressure line was wiggling off the nipple.

I bought the Small Parts brass QD's a week before, so I was equipped. However, it seemed like the "double shutoff" type would be best, I bought the "single shutoff" like the photo here showed. I couldn't find any info on whether the stock QD's were double or single. Turns out they are doubles. Nevertheless, I installed the new SP QD's - with the shutoff direction toward the tank, figuring what I want is to be able to remove the tank without draining it. All is well. 8)

PS: Per everybody here, I replaced all the hose clamps with good quality reusables.
Member #1058
BMW R1150R - 2002, Atlanta Blue
Porsche 928 - 1982 Weissach Edition, S/N 34
BigC
Basic User

Post by BigC »

Welcome dnat928! I see it's your first post :) I haven't had to deal with this quite yet but I believe I'll be going down a similar path as you shortly ;) I don't think you need two way shut off's either for those. A little fuel dripping here and there is no worry ;) Gallons on the ground...different matter entirely...
'04 R1150R
Mtnbiker1966
Basic User

Quick Disconnects

Post by Mtnbiker1966 »

I'm not quite sure what BMW engineer allowed the stock plastic QD's on our beloved bikes; however, the feller outta be shot! Those things are extremely dangerous. I understand there applicability, but jeesh please put decent brass QD's if you're going to use them.

OK, so what I did was run a straight, fuel-injected certified fuel hoses directly to the tank. Now the trick here is keeping the hoses straight. I crossed them up and tried to start the bike. My guardian angel was keeping an eye on me so my fuel pump wasn't damaged. I switched them and my bike started right up.

That was a bone-headed move y'all need to keep an eye out for if you're going to do this by yourself. Realistically, I think it's better to put in the brass QD's since this is the way the bike was engineered.

NOW FOR THE GOOD PART:
Dadgum did my bike run a TON better after I got rid of those plastic QDs. The surging was reduced considerably! Before I placed my hoses I was ready to invest in a TechTronic (spelling?), but now she's running so good I didn't have to.

Maybe y'all have some insight as to why the bike would run better. I think it's because the engine's getting a consistant source of air/fuel mixture. Those plastic QD's compromised (i.e. leaked air) into the fuel. Hmmmm...
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Post by boxermania »

Carlos

Go go to a bolt and gaskets vendor and you should be able to get them there. Unfortunately both Buna and Viton are both black, however, they are both acceptable for use with gasoline.

I believe that the BMW dealer charges $3+ for each one. $3 should buy you a lifetime quantity......I always carry some extras......

If your bike is a few years old and you have taken the tank off a few times, I would consider replacing the quick connects, (plastic ages and cracks), with either the originals $$$$ or the metal ones by Omega. Check out the post by JB44, he did a great write up with pics, the part numbers, cost, etc. 8) 8)
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX
yjleesvrr

Post by yjleesvrr »

Well, whaddya know? After I installed the battery in my Roadster, I put a hairline crack in the neck of one of my quick disconnects while trying to put them back together. There goes my Sunday ride. :roll:

I'm going to have to replace the POS plastic disconnects - German engineers are a funny lot. Does anyone know if I can buy couplers at an auto store? I"m assuming that I'm going to have to order these online.
Member #93, June 2002
'14 BMW R1200RT "Wethead"
'77 BMW R100/7 "Airhead"
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Post by boxermania »

yjleesvrr

No you won't find anything close at an auto store, you might get lucky at a race shop but I don't think they would have something that small.

Search for JB44 post with all the info, or Google Omega and get the metal ones from them, you can do it over the phone.

Regards

Al
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX
owldaddy
Lifer

Post by owldaddy »

Popgazer
I did tried those, and they sure swelled as it was impossible with the force of my bare hands to put it back on. I wonder which of these explanation is likely:
1- Smallparts Inc (after receiving a bunch of phone calls, including one from me) has switched to a different o-ring that doesn't swell.
Or
2- The time it took to change the fuel filter was enough to allow for re-connecting.

There is one other explanation, fuel blends are always changing, could be some chemical, such as MTBE has been removed from the fuel. That stuff was supposed to be very hard on seals. Who knows what else they put into these custom blends these days. Thankgoodness they got rid of that stuff, it was an environmental nightmare.
Don
2004 Ferro R1150R the stealthiest color
When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.
cc

Post by cc »

[quote="yjleesvrr"]Well, whaddya know? After I installed the battery in my Roadster, I put a hairline crack in the neck of one of my quick disconnects while trying to put them back together. There goes my Sunday ride. :roll:
[quote]

If your QD's fail you can replace them with a short piece of steel, brass or copper tubing of the appropriate size. I did this on my sons R11RS when the Small Parts QD's didn't work out. I used a flaring tool to slightly upset the ends of the tubing so it wouldn't slip out past the clamps.

I do have to clamp off the fuel line if I want to disconnected them now. This is no big deal especially when you think about how often you have to remove the tank.

FWIW I did a test with the small parts QD's in June. If I disconnected them and tried to reassemble them soon thereafter they wouldn't go together. If I waited a day or so they went back together OK. Buna-N does swell when exposed to gas.

To their credit Small Parts refunded our money.