saddlebags

The sexy K1200R!

Moderator: Moderators

martydallas
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

saddlebags

Post by martydallas »

I just installed, the new saddle bags. But I have a question. does anyone know why, the design of the saddle bags have a cut out close to the frame. When I say cut out, I don't mean physically cut out, but it indents to allow something to slide in to that location and or take some movement. Understand the design of the right side due to the muffler. but that only a small design difference to the left side. Both sides have a major intention in it.

I will give it a few weeks to try to understand this reason. And if I can't, I was planning on having the bags altered, by a hard plastic shop. I have used for other similar items. It is not that I am needing the additional space. I just don't care for the design look from the back, and if I take a long trip. The additional space is always handy.

confused in Dallas :)
Marty
camfarm

I Know

Post by camfarm »

I know what you are talking about this cutout/shape. All I can suggest is that the German Engineers in charge of the bags thought it was somehow better to have a little near symmetry from the rear view than not. Of course, the concept of German designers is so far fetched as to be laughable.

They are not Italians and they aren't imaginative - but they are practical (if you think like a Rad).
ncalK12R
Basic User

Post by ncalK12R »

Marty:
I put the bags on the R a couple of weeks ago, and had not noticed the indentation until you mentioned it; I went out and looked, and sure enough! The back of the bags are bowed in, and acutally a great deal of space is lost. For some reason BMW has a problem designing either exhausts and/or hard luggage that are somewhat compatable; as on other models, the right side bag is significantly reduced in size to allow for the muffler.
I too would like the extra space....please post pics when you have done the modification.
TIA
Rich
'06 K1200R
'03 FJR 1300
utzguy
Basic User

Post by utzguy »

I believe the dent is to fit the K1200S, which uses the same bags. The rear bodywork on the S is wider.
I too have considered doing some work to the bags to allow me to regain the lost space.
DEU
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

utzguy wrote:I believe the dent is to fit the K1200S, which uses the same bags. The rear bodywork on the S is wider.
I too have considered doing some work to the bags to allow me to regain the lost space.
What he said. The Bags were originally designed for the K-S which has wider bodywork at the tail.

camfarm wrote:I know what you are talking about this cutout/shape. All I can suggest is that the German Engineers in charge of the bags thought it was somehow better to have a little near symmetry from the rear view than not. Of course, the concept of German designers is so far fetched as to be laughable.

They are not Italians and they aren't imaginative - but they are practical (if you think like a Rad).
Camfarm - I think you're referring to "Stylists".... ;)
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life