Breather pipe

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1100R.

Moderator: Moderators

JohanOtten
Basic User

Breather pipe

Post by JohanOtten »

Hi people, sorry, got another question. My r1100r has a worn alternater support cover. Yeah the whole aluminium cast front piece of the bike. Last owner used the bike just to drive around in salt water by the looks of it. Now this bike has the breather pipe that almost hugs the alternatorbelt. It's leaking oil in several places because the aluminium seems the be eaten away or chipped of. Anyway thats not the point,

I picked up a 2nd hand alternator cover, ready to get it powercoated (the engine is black now and looks a lot better) when I noticed the inside is different. The seller promised me this was the same piece, but it's missing the holes for the breater pipe on the inside. On the outside they look to be there, but they're not drilled through. So my question is: Can I go with this front en just forgo the whole breatherpipe thing or is it ESSENTIAL. I find it hard to believe because I did some digging around and it seems the 1100RT and the 1150 models don't have the pipe while the 11RT is the same engine and the 1150's are practically identical but I wanted to make sure.