Rockster Turn Signal Stalk Repair

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

dustburm
Basic User

Rockster Turn Signal Stalk Repair

Post by dustburm »

Saturday I barely bumped my left front turn signal and the stalk broke. I removed the lens and unplugged the wires to remove the stalk. It's plastic of some kind with a male threaded part cast in. It broke at the thinnest, weakest point. DUH..... With it removed I noticed that the wires and connectors barely fit thru the hole. I thought that thin walled tubing might hold the two pieces together after boring the hole a very small amount. In my stash of K & S brass tubing I found a piece of 5/16 tubing that fit inside the stalk and allowed the wires and connectors to pass thru. It was almost a force fit into the two casting parts except that as a casting there was a slight draft to allow the part to seperate from the mold. I cut a piece about 2" and forced it onto the tightest part which was the thin tube like section that goes into the signal body. I pressed the other end almost all the way onto the tube. I had cleaned the tube and plastic parts with denatured acohol because it seemed like the thing to do. I partialily pushed the parts together and then added ACC glue and finished pushing them together. Time will tell.

Forgive me fellow Rocksters owners and fans as I have done a cobbled up repair job to an amazing piece of German craftsmanship because I'm cheap. How many times should I repeat this to be absolved of this act on this list???????

Dusty in PHX
timl
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Rockster Turn Signal Stalk Repair

Post by timl »

That sounds like a professional repair compared to mine. About 2 years ago a woman planning to turn left backed up from the intersection as the light was turning red, and clipped my right turn signal and the reflector on the right front fork.

I dabbed both with superglue and stuck them back together, and they have been fine ever since. Visually it is very difficult to detect the repair. But I'm always very careful when washing the bike as it wouldn't take much to break the stalk again.
2004 Rockster
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Our bikes are 10+ years old, so most anything goes in terms of practical and pragmatic repairs.

The mating structure for signal housing shell and the stalk are indeed the weak points. I've had one shell crack around the female socket end, and another failure when a stalk sheared at the male round end.

Good news is that any R1100/1150** bike turn signal piece(s) will fit. There are slight differences between the standard orange lens/shell assemblies and those special Rockster variants with clear lenses and platinum/diamond/opal/Bitcoin covered turn signal bulbs, lovingly hand-assembled by the fine female crafts-persons of Castle Anthrax. Buy a cheap used replacement set for road trips, and ignore the fashion faux pas when your mismatched signals get you home safely.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

There are only 2 tools for the true bodger. Duct tape and 3-in-1 oil

If it moves and it's not supposed to: use Duct Tape.

If it doesn't move, but it's supposed to: use 3-in-1.

job done. ;)
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

sweatmark wrote:Our bikes are 10+ years old, so most anything goes in terms of practical and pragmatic repairs.

The mating structure for signal housing shell and the stalk are indeed the weak points. I've had one shell crack around the female socket end, and another failure when a stalk sheared at the male round end.

Good news is that any R1100/1150** bike turn signal piece(s) will fit. There are slight differences between the standard orange lens/shell assemblies and those special Rockster variants with clear lenses and platinum/diamond/opal/Bitcoin covered turn signal bulbs, lovingly hand-assembled by the fine female crafts-persons of Castle Anthrax. Buy a cheap used replacement set for road trips, and ignore the fashion faux pas when your mismatched signals get you home safely.

Oddly - orange (amber) coloured bulbs under the clear lenses look ok.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life