I cut off a motorcycle, and I'm sorry...

All other motorcycle related topics go in here." However, DO NOT post ANY messages that are related to politics or religion in here. They will be erased. Thanks!

Moderator: Moderators

r12gecko
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

I cut off a motorcycle, and I'm sorry...

Post by r12gecko »

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here - this is the war room!"
Catchina
Lifer
Donating Member #: 998

Re: I cut off a motorcycle, and I'm sorry...

Post by Catchina »

The comments are interesting
2011 R1200R RED
1996 Virago XV 750
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Post by angellr »

Catchina wrote:The comments are interesting
Absolutely. Was cut off twice yesterday on my way to teach a class ... and had one guy almost clip my on the Interstate. My rule is to distance yourself behind as well as ahead to ensure you are as safe as can be ... but in heavy traffic, its a crap shoot. I wish drivers ed would teach the students about motorcycles, bikes and other potential road buddies, but they do not (daughter got her license recently, they did not).
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
rdsmith3
Lifer
Donating Member #: 74

Post by rdsmith3 »

We've all been cut off, and most car drivers totally disregard us, even if they do see us.

However, after reading this article, I think the rider shares some of the blame. If we believe that the car driver did a mirror check, head check, and had her turn signal on, then either 1) the motorcyclist was planted in her blind spot and ignored the signal, or 2) he came up on her quickly and was in her blind spot. Also, I ride on the highway a lot, and the right lane is the worst place to be on a bike because of cars entering and others suddenly exiting when they wake up and remember it's their exit. So I think the motorcyclist was partly at fault here. His giving her the finger does nothing to help the situation.
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74
iowabeakster
Quadruple Lifer

Post by iowabeakster »

I had a close one not too long ago.

The road has 3 lanes. The center one is for turning left (both directions). She was in the right lane, with her right turn signal flashing, and brakes applied. I was behind her and moving to the center lane (making a left turn, at the same street she is turning right). I did not want to pull alongside her, just to be safe. I held back.

She kept on slowing down (likely less than 10 mph) to make the tight right turn. I kept back, and waited to move to the center lane.

Finally I became SURE that she was going to make her right turn, as we got to the cross-street. I moved alongside her (my front tire was about even with her rear tires) in the center lane. And then she did it. A hard jerk on the steering wheel to the center lane. I guess she didn't exactly know where she was going.

I swerved left into the oncoming lane (very lucky no cars were oncoming at that second) and hit the brakes as she jerks into the center lane. After she swerved into the center lane, she checked the mirror to see me come to an awkward stop just off the side of her car. And then she slammed to a stop. She looked back and "SORRY" was easily read from her lips. I could tell that she genuinely felt bad. I just waved her on to continue (not the middle finger type). I wasn't as angry as I was incredulous.

Don't take anything for granted. These things do happen.
I was dreaming when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray...
Airman
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by Airman »

rdsmith3 wrote:We've all been cut off, and most car drivers totally disregard us, even if they do see us.

However, after reading this article, I think the rider shares some of the blame. If we believe that the car driver did a mirror check, head check, and had her turn signal on, then either 1) the motorcyclist was planted in her blind spot and ignored the signal, or 2) he came up on her quickly and was in her blind spot. Also, I ride on the highway a lot, and the right lane is the worst place to be on a bike because of cars entering and others suddenly exiting when they wake up and remember it's their exit. So I think the motorcyclist was partly at fault here. His giving her the finger does nothing to help the situation.
I think in those wide angle right mirrors a motorcycle looks like a speeding bullet. Hard to see and hard to judge the speed. I'm a veteran I-5 commuter and my head spins around all the time looking for killer cage drivers. Like you say, the rider bears some responsibility. A while back a guy two lanes left crossed in front of me, hit the brakes and turned into a strip mall parking lot. A co-worker right behind me told me later that if I had followed the guy into the parking lot, he was going to come with me and lend a hand. Angry drivers seem to have a near miraculous change of attitude when a second bike pulls up.
I don't get caught in the rain, I ride in it on purpose.