Custom Molded Earplugs

All other motorcycle related topics go in here." However, DO NOT post ANY messages that are related to politics or religion in here. They will be erased. Thanks!

Moderator: Moderators

Xdot
Donating Member #: 0

Custom Molded Earplugs

Post by Xdot »

Well, it's either quiet down the ride, lose my hearing, or sell the bike and get something else. But I love my R1150R! It fits me like a beautiful... motorcycle.

I found these on the internets: http://www.earplugstore.com/westone-cr1.html and http://www.earplugstore.com/noname11.html . Pricey but much cheaper than trading for another bike.

Anyone know of any others? I know race car drivers wear them. I need something like that. So I can't hear anything but Beethoven. We;; what else would I listen to riding a Deutsch motorrad?

John
2017 Husqvarna 701
2007 Husqvarna TE250
2004 BMW Rockster
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Re: Custom Molded Earplugs

Post by angellr »

Xdot wrote:Well, it's either quiet down the ride, lose my hearing, or sell the bike and get something else. But I love my R1150R! It fits me like a beautiful... motorcycle.

I found these on the internets: http://www.earplugstore.com/westone-cr1.html and http://www.earplugstore.com/noname11.html . Pricey but much cheaper than trading for another bike.

Anyone know of any others? I know race car drivers wear them. I need something like that. So I can't hear anything but Beethoven. We;; what else would I listen to riding a Deutsch motorrad?

John
John,

Have several pairs of molded ears. VERY good for noise reduction. I use Eytmotic iPhone plugs (150+) and they do the trick (I can hear Beethoven or Pink Floyd really well) and the road noise is not noticeable.
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
Xdot
Donating Member #: 0

Post by Xdot »

angellr wrote:Have several pairs of molded ears. VERY good for noise reduction. I use Eytmotic iPhone plugs (150+) and they do the trick (I can hear Beethoven or Pink Floyd really well) and the road noise is not noticeable.
Is there is significant improvement over say, foam ear plugs? Molded and Eytmotics?
And Pink Floyd is my other requirement. Yes, Moody Blues, The Who, Led Zeppelin...
2017 Husqvarna 701
2007 Husqvarna TE250
2004 BMW Rockster
angellr

Post by angellr »

Xdot wrote:
angellr wrote:Have several pairs of molded ears. VERY good for noise reduction. I use Eytmotic iPhone plugs (150+) and they do the trick (I can hear Beethoven or Pink Floyd really well) and the road noise is not noticeable.
Is there is significant improvement over say, foam ear plugs? Molded and Eytmotics?
And Pink Floyd is my other requirement. Yes, Moody Blues, The Who, Led Zeppelin...
... and The Grateful Dead ... Yes an improvement over foam ... however, I find the noise canceling foam to be sufficient. I go the gun shows that come around every 2-3 months or so and there is a guy there who will make the molds. You can also get the kit and go see an ENT to make the molds as well. Net/net, I love my molded ears for shooting at the range (without sound capabilities) and also the music ... however, lost one of the music ear pieces and am now reduced to foam on my Etymotic headset. $300 + headset might be a bargain depending on your wants. Considered this a good investment.
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
Catchina
Lifer
Donating Member #: 998

Post by Catchina »

angellr wrote:... and The Grateful Dead ...
I would love to put on a good GD show and ride, does a moulded earplug sound system count as a "farkle" :smt020
2011 R1200R RED
1996 Virago XV 750
angellr

Post by angellr »

Catchina wrote:
angellr wrote:... and The Grateful Dead ...
I would love to put on a good GD show and ride, does a moulded earplug sound system count as a "farkle" :smt020
YES!
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
GypsyRR
Centurionette!
Donating Member #: 254

Post by GypsyRR »

Xdot wrote: Is there is significant improvement over say, foam ear plugs? Molded and Eytmotics?

I have Wetstone Elite Series molded in-ears as well as the Etymotic ER6i. My experience is that the ER6i are more comfortable under a helmet and if properly inserted, are sufficient for wind reduction and are very respectable for sound quality. And they are considerably cheaper (approx $75) than the Wetstone choices. However, I love my Wetstone in-ears for listening in every other situation and do not regret my purchase. They just get a little uncomfortable after an hour or so on the bike.

One drawback of the Wetstone for riding is their sensitivity to moisture, and therefore perspiration while using them can be a problem. I live in the hot and humid conditions of southeast Texas, where that is a consideration.

Wetstone does have an in ear that is made specifically for motorcyclists. Have you looked at these?

On a side note....... Pink Floyd, GD, The Who, Yes, The Moody Blues, and Led Zepplin do not get air play on either my Etymotics or Wetstones, so YMMV. :badgrin:
Kristi
05 Granite Grey
angellr

Post by angellr »

GypsyRR wrote:
Xdot wrote: Is there is significant improvement over say, foam ear plugs? Molded and Eytmotics?

On a side note....... Pink Floyd, GD, The Who, Yes, The Moody Blues, and Led Zepplin do not get air play on either my Etymotics or Wetstones, so YMMV. :badgrin:
Should have added Lyle Lovett, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson (Whiskey River anyone?) and perhaps a few others on the Country/Western side ... westone custom plugs look pretty good (might have to try a pair soon) ... and also have a pair of ER6is and can attest to the sound quality, etc. Net/net, its how much you want to spend on the "farkle". Good luck.
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD