Family reunion by bike

This section is for people to post trip writeups and pictures AFTER the trip is over.

Moderator: Moderators

iowabeakster
Quadruple Lifer

Family reunion by bike

Post by iowabeakster »

My grandma, Shirley, died last Thanksgiving. My Grandpa, Louis, beat her to the grave by a few years. My Aunt Cheryl decided that we should use the remainder of their savings to have a family reunion. I'm sure they would have agreed that it was a great way to spend the money. I'll spare you all most of the family stuff and stick to the 3 days of riding.

The location of the reunion was at a campground near Hayward, WI on Lake Chippewa. My (absolutely wonderful) wife, Amy, excused me from attending the wedding of one of her friends. She also wanted to bring Olivia, super dog, along for the trip. Consequently, Amy would be traveling by car instead of by bike. This gave me a chance to have an extra day to take a super extended "scenic route" to get there. I planned my routes out on the computer and downloaded them to the GPS in days before. Of course, I included as many curvy roads as possible. The most direct route was about 400 miles from Iowa City. On the way there, I managed to stretch that 400 miles into a 700 mile ride, over a 2 day period. I almost entirely stuck to county roads with the rest being 2 lane highways.

Saturday, July 18....

I woke up at the crack of dawn to get an early start. It was going to be hot and humid and I wanted to get as far as I could before things got too uncomfortable. I also wanted to be able to take my time, take pictures, and enjoy myself. I was on my way at 6:10 AM.

First photo... This is only a couple miles from the home. I just liked the way the horses looked with the sun coming through the trees. I will also freely admit that I am just like a little girl about horses... I love 'em. I was also trying to get myself in the habit of taking my time. I too often just ride...and ride... and never take the time to take pictures.

I didn't slow down again for about the next 80 miles. The first pit stop was near Delhi, IA. It was just a nice spot to take a drink of water, boost the nicotine level, and take a couple pictures. This is county road X-31 which passes over the dam forming Lake Delhi on the Maquoketa River.

Dam...

Lake...

Downstream...

I must have ridden about another 90-100 miles before the next pit stop. I needed gas but my bladder was screaming urgently. This is where I tended to the bladder emergency. This is in the Upper Iowa River valley. As you can tell I am leaving behind farm country and entering bluff country. This was a couple of miles from the Iowa-Minnesota border.

Then, I was really low on gas... and was getting worried. I finally made it to a gas station with over 200 miles on the trip odometer. I had to wait to fill up because apparently it was "Ride Your Harley In A Massive Group Day". One massive group was already at the gas station when I got there. Oh well... I got my gas and was on my way. The good news was that I found myself on a very twisty stretch of road. It was almost Appalachia Twisty Crazy... almost... but that only lasted for a couple miles.

The next pit stop was at Winona, MN. Contrary to the Primus song, I saw no beaver...big, brown, or otherwise. In Winona, I tended to all of my bodily needs and took a few pictures. It must have been around noonish and it was getting hot and sticky. I ate lunch and relaxed in the cool confines of a Hardee's. It'd been a while since I ate a Hardee's. The burger was OK, the onion rings were OK, but mostly I enjoyed the air conditioning. I felt somewhat out of place as I didn't have blue hair or use a coupon. I felt like that the older folks were snickering behind my back for paying full price for fast food.

Flowers...

Rapunzel!, Rapunzel!

Leaving Winona, MN I crossed the Mississippi River into Wisconsin. The large groups of Harley riders were out in force on that side of the river too. In the previous few hours I had seen hundreds of Harley riders in parade mode (and at parade speed :roll: ). I quickly turned off Highway 35 (which runs along the river) and hit the curvy county roads and highways. The very first curve I rounded, I was met by 5 sport bike riders dragging their knees, coming the other way. That was more like it. Some of the roads that I rode were planned, some were spontaneously added to my route. I had a great time on the back roads for some time.

Unfortunately that had to come to an end. I had to <bathroom euphemism of your choice>. I headed back to Highway 35 to find someplace suitable. I stopped at a biker bar in Alma. I had been there before a couple of years ago. There must have been a couple dozen full dresser Harley touring bikes lined up in front of the place. I believe all of them were locals. I did my bathroom business and had a Pepsi. Before I left, I sat on a bench out front to boost my nicotine level again.

There, were a couple of biker chicks, out front, smoking cigarettes. I don't think I got their names, or if I did, I forgot them. I'll just call them the blonde and the brunette. The brunette thought my hand rolled cigarette was a joint and asked for a hit. She was confused, as apparently she had never seen a hand rolled cigarette before.

Then, she asked, "Which bike is yours?"

I said, "The only non-Harley..."

She said, "Aww...that's okay...don't worry about it."

I said nothing, but thought to myself, "I wasn't worried about it...but thanks for being understanding."

She saw my helmet, gloves, and jacket sitting on my bike and asked, "Are you wearing all that stuff in this heat...why?"

I said, "I like my skin."

The conversation continued on like this with questions and answers, for a couple minutes. She seemed to have a good buzz on and didn't seem to notice my sarcasm.

Finally the blonde woman decides that we should rearrange the letters on the daily special board on the sidewalk to say something else. The brunette and I stood in front of the window to provide cover and the blond woman changed the board.

yum...

(I'll finish this tomorrow)
Last edited by iowabeakster on Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:36 am, edited 6 times in total.
I was dreaming when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray...
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Re: Family reunion by bike (not done with this yet)

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

Then, she asked, "which bike is yours?"

I said, "the only non-Harley."

She said, "aww...that's okay...don't worry about it."
You know...that is signature worthy

Looking for the continuation.

John
'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

Excellent report and pics, thanks.
But I must disagree good Dr., THIS is signature worthy:

"In Winona, I tended to all of my bodily needs and took a few pictures. It must have been around noonish and it was getting hot and sticky."

What this is describing may or may not have involved a motorcycle at all.
What happens in Winona, stays in Winona.
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
iowabeakster
Quadruple Lifer

Post by iowabeakster »

So I'm heading up north on Highway 35 again. It is a pretty ride along the river with the bluffs. It's probably worth it for the view, but the curves just are not tight enough to be a great motorcycle road. I was really hot at this point... and frustrated. The traffic was pretty thick and was at a standstill in Stockholm. There was some sort of festival going on... oh crap.

I finally made it through and pulled over to take pictures a few miles farther up the road at Maiden Rock. The Maiden Rock legend comes from an Indian girl that was forced into a marriage that she was not happy with. The night of the wedding she threw herself off the bluff.

Maiden Rock is along the shore of Lake Pepin. Lake Pepin isn't really a lake. It's just a section of the Mississippi that is 3-4 miles wide. Therefore, it gives the impression of a lake. I wanted to take a few pictures of this place. My grandparents used to live straight across the lake from here. I used to spend part of my summers here with them. So, this place holds a lot of fond memories for me. From this spot, I can envision Grandpa and I out in the boat getting a ticket from the DNR and my Grandpa saying, "Don't tell your Grandma about this..." I heard that statement a number of times over the years.

Here's Shirley and Louis...

After Maiden Rock, I quickly got off 35 and rode more county roads headed for Menomonie, WI. I had planned on camping that night. I couldn't get a reservation at any campgrounds on-line, they were all booked up. My wife, Amy, suggessted that I just get a hotel room. As it turned out, that was an outstanding suggestion.

Heading towards Menomonie, I started to feel a few raindrops. I pulled over at this bar to put on the rain gear. The vehicles here were more diverse than at the last bar I stopped at. There were even a couple vehicles with German made Boxer engines here. I think that my bike felt a little less out of place there.

The rain never really got started. So, I wondered whether to put on the rain gear or not. Then, I heard thunder coming from the direction that I was headed, so I put it on. The rain never came, but it drizzled for most of the rest of the ride and the roads were wet. I was just glad for heavy clouds which made it less hot. As, I got into Menomonie I saw myself reflected in the glass of a store front. I thought to myself, "Hey, I look good in yellow." It's probably the first and last time I will ever have that thought.

I got to the Super 8 and took a cool shower... that was outstanding. I had a salad at McDonalds across the street, and went back and watched TV in my room. All of the local channels were doing live coverage of a severe thunderstorm that was spinning off tornadoes, to our west. It was headed my way. I went outside for a smoke. There was an amazing lightning show going on. I went back to my room to get my camera. When I came back down, the lightning show was over, but the storm was still coming.

I was still taking some long exposure photos, trying to get a good lightning shot... but it never happened. The threat was so great that they evacuated the top floor (third floor) of the hotel. The tornado warning sirens were blowing. One of the evacuees from the third floor came over and started talking to me. Her name was Denise. She offered me a beer. (I love people from Wisconsin) We chatted for a while.

The winds and heavy rain started. I sat with Denise and her mother Gloria in the lobby of the hotel while the storm raged. At that point, I was so happy that Amy suggested staying in a hotel. The torrential rains were flying sideways in about 60 MPH wind. I would not have been happy in a tent.

Denise offered me another beer. (Man, do I love people from Wisconsin) The storm passed, and the evacuees went back to their rooms. I thanked Denise for the beer and went up to go to bed.

Sunday, July 19

I wanted to get an early start again. I was eating the continental breakfast at 6:00 AM sharp. It was gray and wet outside, and it looked like rain. So, I stalled my departure for a bit. I bought gas and finally hit the road at 8:00. It was still misty and drizzly. I didn't take any pictures that morning. I kept the camera in one of my side cases for wetness protection. The sky looked like it wanted to clear up and become sunny. It looked that way all morning.

By noonish, the sky finally cleared. My planned route kept going north until I got to Lake Superior and then went east into the upper peninsula of Michigan. Then, I would circle south and west back to the campground. I had made it far enough north that I could have ridden about 20 miles straight east to find my family at the campground. I don't know what it was, but I really thought about going straight to the campground. Maybe, it was dark and drizzly morning. Maybe, it was I was worn out from the day before. I don't know.

But I said to myself, "Don't be an idiot...enjoy yourself."

From that point on, I enjoyed every second of that day. The sky was blue with white puffy clouds, and the temp and humidity were much better than the day before. I pulled the camera out of the side case and put it in the tank bag.

I had left bluff country and was now in lake country.

A little pit stop on some county road...

I wound my way north till I hit the Chequamegon bay of Lake Superior.

I was so glad I kept going... :D I rode US 2 east until I was near the Michigan border. Although US 2 was straight, I could not have been happier. It might have had something to with beautiful weather...I'm not sure. I had a huge smile on my face for a lot of miles.

I got off of US 2 and started exploring near the lake.

I walked down the hill to the shore line.

A little waterfall...

Right next to the waterfall was a tiny hydroelectric facility. Here are the pipes coming down the hill.

I should have taken off the riding pants and boots when I went walking around... coming back up that hill... I broke into a terrible sweat.

So, I was now ready to head to the campground. The roads from lake superior to the campground were maybe the best time I've ever had on a motorcycle. They were smooth blacktop, curvy and I was about the only one on them. I had a blast.

I didn't stop to take pictures during the curves, but here is a straight section.

I passed a very nice Mercedes convertible sitting in the ditch. A middle aged man was sitting behind the wheel and his wife was sitting in the passenger seat. They looked so silly just sitting there in the ditch. I would have offered help but somebody else was already there. I was wondering what could have happened that he had driven off the road on such a perfect afternoon. I mentally shrugged my shoulders and kept on riding. Less than a minute later, a big doe jumped out of the woods and landed in the middle of my lane. She looked right at me, and took two more leaps across the road and back into the woods. OH... so that's what happened to the couple in the Mercedes. That was one of two close calls with deer that day.

The other one was a little fawn that charged right at me. Luckily, he wasn't fast enough to get under my wheels.

When I passed through a section of road that had a number of, "Elk Crossing 45 MPH" signs with flashing yellow lights, I paid attention and kept myself to 45 MPH.

I made it to the campsite late in the afternoon. My wife had arrived shortly before me...excellent timing. All of my family had taken off in the boats to spend the afternoon on an isolated beach. Only my cousin Aaron was there when we arrived. We set up camp.

The next four days were spent: fishing, water-skiing, eating, drinking, beaching, campfiring, horseshoeing, bocce balling, and all kinds good stuff. It was fantastic time for everyone (we're already planning next year). My bike sat under the cover for the 4 days.

The most notable story of those 4 days involved Olivia, our dog. We took her out for a ride on a rented pontoon boat. She jumped off the front while we were moving. My brother-in-law, Curt, was driving the boat. Amy yelled, "The dog is in the water." He must have just barely shifted the motor into neutral before the dog could hit the motor. Every instant, until the dog popped up behind the boat, seemed like an eternity. When she finally came up behind the boat... I instinctively jumped in to rescue her. She is not a great swimmer (although she is a lab) and I didn't know if she was injured or not. I saw her head pop up... and in I went. It was purely a reflex. I wasn't going to let her go down. I was surprised when I found swimming so difficult (I was an all-state swimmer and lifeguard in high school), I guess that's what happens when swimming with two shirts, long pants, shoes, socks and a hat... :lol:

Olivia was OK, although a bit sore the next day.

Here's a mostly clear sunrise from my campsite

a mostly cloudy sunrise...

an evening storm coming through...

The ride home coming up...
Last edited by iowabeakster on Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:50 am, edited 4 times in total.
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

sjbmw wrote:Excellent report and pics, thanks]
"In Winona, I tended to all of my bodily needs and took a few pictures. It must have been around noonish and it was getting hot and sticky."

What this is describing may or may not have involved a motorcycle at all.
What happens in Winona, stays in Winona.
very funny.

Are we learning MORE about IOB than we should? :D

I mean, the boy is never complacent about bodily functions.
Dare I say it? What happens in IowaBeakster doesn't stay in IowaBeakster for long. Praise the Lord and find the nearest cornfield. :lol:

But keep that report coming!

John
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

I really enjoy your reports Kirk. Are you coming back to Virginia for the Hungry Mother weekend in August?

I am getting that itch to make a return trip to Iowa in September. I want to go on up to Anamosa this time and see more of Grant Woods' stomping grounds, as well as return to, post flood, Cedar Rapids and of course the "house" in Eldon. This will be a run to practice some improved touring methods. I am so disappointed with my trip out west, and I did it to myself, so I'm making some changes in the way I travel from now on.
iowabeakster
Quadruple Lifer

Post by iowabeakster »

I mean, the boy is never complacent about bodily functions.
Man, You are gonna love the ride home... ;)

So let's get started...

What took me two days to travel on the way there, I was going to do in one on the way home. It was going to be about 425 miles or so. I stuck to the smaller highways and county roads. Most every road was different from the route going north, but there were a couple of repeats. Again, I was trying to get an early start. That shouldn't be much of a problem since I was getting up a first light, while sleeping in tent. I said my goodbyes to my family the night before. I also got the bike ready and gassed it up to make a quick get away in the morning.

Friday, July 23

I got up and stuffed some granola bars down my throat. I did the sponge bath (with Wet Ones) and visited the bathroom at the campground twice before hitting the road.

The morning was again dark and misty. The camera was in the side case again. I don't know what my body was doing, but it was undergoing a massive fluid purge that morning. I had to pull over 3 times within the first 100 miles. On the third one, I did in the woods...what bears do in the woods. (I very highly recommend carrying Wet Ones in the tank bag) I was ferociously attacked by mosquitoes while doing that deed. There was also a wild animal (that I couldn't see) that was making loud snorting noises in the woods. I assume it was a deer, but it may have been a bear that felt I was intruding. The campground we stayed at was raided by a bear every night that we were there.

I was making poor progress on my travels. The mist was making visibility through the face shield problematic. My neck was getting stiff from the repeated: turn helmet left...turn helmet right... to clear the water. Another bummer of a morning ride.

I had lunch in Mondovi, WI. I had a great double cheeseburger and onion rings at a place called McT's. Yes, that was the second time that I ordered that for lunch. McT's was a nice little independent diner type place. Their burger and o-rings were much better than the first at Hardee's.

By the time I was done with lunch the skies had cleared. My spirits lifted with the clearing skies. My fluid purge had also ceased. It was time to get the camera out.

I had passed out of lake country and back into bluff country...

..and another shot, just because the blue sky made me so happy...

I was once again in the happiest of spirits. I was blasting down those roads without a care. In fact, in all three days of riding, I never saw a single police officer. I crossed over the Mississippi at Winona, again. Three were some replicas of Columbus' ships sitting in the river. I saw them while crossing over the bridge and thought that I should take some pictures. I didn't bother once I got near them. I guess I wasn't that impressed. I also chatted with a local malcontent.

He informed me:

1. Winona sucks, just look at the Minnesota tourism info...
2. Winona cops suck, if any of them pulled him over he'd tell them where to shove it...
3. The weather sucked, there is already plenty of moisture in the soil...
4. His back and hips sucked, he can't ride his Harley...
5. My BMW bike is an enduro bike, I should take it off-roading

I hit that super twisty road again, in southern MN, coming from the other direction. It was even more fun riding it uphill. After my slow start to the day, I tried to keep making good time. I was only stopping for the basics.

I took care of those basics here. This is back in northern Iowa. I believe it is a creek that feeds into the Turkey River. I guess that it had rained pretty hard the day before. The creek looked like it had been quite a bit higher, a short time before.

While there, a butterfly was attracted to my orange turn signals.

I kept working my way south. I was forced to detour when I got to Manchester, IA. The highway I was riding was underwater and the locals were sandbagging. I went east to cross over the Maquoketa River at the same dam that I took my first pit stop, on the way north. There was quite a bit more water coming through the dam this time. A number of locals were milling about and looking nervous.

About 18 hours after I took the above picture, the dam broke. I guess the locals had good reason to be nervous. The dam was about 88 years old. This is a picture taken the next day (Saturday)...photo credit-- Des Moines Register. You can see the trees to the left of the flood gates...that is where I took my pictures from. The place that the water broke through the dam... that is where I parked my bike. Holy coincidence... :o

Shortly after leaving the dam, I saw this strange vapor trail in the sky. I thought to myself, "Man that is a strange route for a commercial jet." A minute later, I looked up again. A plane making a loop in the same spot (or possibly the same plane). While I stopped to take the picture, two more times a plane made the loop. The last two times, there was no vapor trail left behind.

When I got to work on Saturday and checked the weather, (and saw that the dam had broke) I thought that the plane may have been a NOAA/NWS or an Army Corps of Engineers plane making observations of dam. I don't know...

In the three days of travel, I did 1106 miles. My moving average speed was 50.9 MPH. I didn't keep an accurate count but my mileage was 45-50 MPG. Looking back, even with drizzly mornings... I had a great time. The four days with my family was simply the greatest.

Within spitting distance of home...here is the parting shot
Last edited by iowabeakster on Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:02 am, edited 4 times in total.
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Thanks for allowing us to tag along. Pretty country for sure, and thank you for helping to keep it green.

John
iowabeakster
Quadruple Lifer

Post by iowabeakster »

Thanks for the kind (and funny) comments guys...

Phil,

I am not going to make it to Hungry Mother. I really wish I could. It's just a calendar thing...school will starting that weekend. Therefore, it'll be important to have store open for business.

I am really sorry to hear that the trip out west was disappointing. I was reading along on "slablog". I figured that things weren't going well when it got cut short and the reports stopped coming in. No matter how well prepared you are, the weather can ruin everything anyway...and heavy wind can be awful. Amy and I took a day trip earlier this summer that was absolutely awful, due to the wind.

At the top of my report, I mentioned that Amy excused me from her friend's wedding... that wedding was at the "house". :D Certainly a cool place to get married, but I was glad that I was able to ride instead. Let me know if/when you are coming!!!
Dan Druff
Basic User

Re: Family reunion by bike

Post by Dan Druff »

Great posting. Always remember, 'If if's and and buts were candy and nuts, everyday would be Christmas.' Mrs. Russell :evil: .

Your Hero,

dug

P.S. I love you.