Deals Gap trip

This section is for people to post trip writeups and pictures AFTER the trip is over.

Moderator: Moderators

scooterme

Deals Gap trip

Post by scooterme »

Thought I'd share my weekend.

I am currently working full time, going to Grad School and working an internship. Yeah, not too much spare time for riding. So last weekend the stars alined giving me 4 days off in a row!!

Time for a ride. Never one to half-arse things I decided that 4 days was enough for a trip from Maine to Deals Gap in NC/TN.

I headed out on Friday Morning, blasting down the highway aiming to get somewhere south of DC. The only other stipulation for the day was that I 'picked up' Rhode Island and Delaware to add to my 'ridden in' map. Delaware necessitated my riding across the GWB in NYC, adding several hours to my day both in the bridge traffic and the heavy traffic on the NJ Turnpike. After around 14 hours in the saddle I achieved all three goals. 615 miles for the day.

Day two was another highway day, blasting down to NC. Having done a longer day the day before, this leg was 'only' 450, so once I checked into the hotel in Asheville, I headed out for an evening ride taking me down to SC to knock that off my map too. 530 miles for the day.

Day three was the fun day, I headed to Deals Gap to do a few laps of the Tail of the Dragon. For those that have not yet ridden the Dragon, do put it on your list. 318 turns in 11 miles with no houses or intersections along the route. Such fun, but there is more fun cruising to be had down there on the endless mountain roads to be found there.

Day four was the return leg. Again, not being a half-arsed guy, I thought an Iron Butt was in order. I headed out at 6am from Asheville, fully rested and ready for the ride, NOT! For those considering an Iron Butt, I can confirm that 30+ saddle hours and 1500+ miles in the 3 preceding days is not the best preparation.

I took the truck route from the south to New England, bypassing the NYC mess, but the ride still took 19 hours seeing me arrive home with 1040 miles for the day.

The ride home was satisfying, I have been wanting to do an Iron Butt for years, but it would be a stretch to call it enjoyable.

Below is a random selection of pics from the trip. Didn't take too many as I was busy riding.

Lunch spot on day 2 - Virgina is stunning

Luggage off and ready to go play

Gratuitous Selfie at Deals Gap

And the real hero of the piece

The tree of shame at Deals Gap. All the bike parts of the riders whose bravado was bigger than their abilities

Action shot from one of the photogs at the Gap

TN roads are gorgeous

A good look for me. I'm at my most handsome

Map Before

Map after

Trip was fueled by high test gas and 5 Hour Energies
ImageImage
Woland
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Re: Deals Gap trip

Post by Woland »

scooterme wrote:
Trip was fueled by high test gas and 5 Hour Energies
So no sugar and only 4 calories means its packed with cocaine?

:-k
Newportcycle
Basic User

Post by Newportcycle »

Nice trip, glad you made it safe and sound. Deals Gap is something everyone needs to try at least once. The surrounding area is exceptional as well. Your preaching to the choir on the 1000 plus day. On my return trip from there I went on to central maine, 1098 miles, I didnt keep the records so no merit badge, maybe some day.
celticus
Lifer
Donating Member #: 548

Post by celticus »

I camped this weekend in North Georgia near the newly reopened TWO (but not at it) this weekend. I was at what is locally called the Airport. Anyway had a great time great riding fine weather blah blah I went home to E. Tn via the Dragon. I rarely go that way. Too nerve wracking for me. Screaming squids wanting to pass the slow assed people in cars. It made me nervous. We have lots of great roads around here without all the drama. I am glad others like it and I wish them a good safe time.
What is happening to my skin?
Where is that protection that I needed?
Air can hurt you too
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

active ingredient in all of those drinks is caffeine, lots of it. Big intake of them is not safe. Caffeine is a poor man's cocaine sort of, many similar actions. Don't get me wrong, I am a coffee drinker for sure, but never a fan of the energy tabs or drinks. Depending on the strength of your coffee it may have 50-100 mg caffeine in a 8oz cup. It's easy to gulp the Hi Energy drinks down, while drinking coffee is more self limited. Don't mean to sound preachy, but those things are drugs.
It is especially of concern if you are taking other Rx meds, esp Wellbutrin. Seizures can occur.
Ok, end of that!

Just got back from Deals myself, had to christen my 1200. Hope you got to do Cherohala and foot hills parkway, and 28, lots of roads around there, and FYI Wheelers is a terrifc shop on 127 if you need somthing, like a rear tire cuz you got a screw in your 1300 mile old Pirelli Angel GT, damhik :x

Portland, Me...a favorite; nice people, good restaurants. pretty! The Chocolate Bar still there?

Where'd you get that map that you're coloring in? Is that a decal/sticker/stencil or ...? and where is it mounted? I've looked for something like that and been unsuccessful. How big is it?

Thanks

John
'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

love the pics! wanting to plan a trip over there soon...probably wait til spring it looks like :( My buddy got to go without me dangit! lol

+1 on the caffeine supplements. OK in moderation I think.... I tried to use them before...but I got really weird foggy headed feeling, twitchiness, and my chest hurt once...plus the "come down" was terrible. so never again..I DO drink coffee, and also feel the same when overdone. I tried redbull once, just made me twitchy, and have to whizz alot. :lol:
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.