Ztechnik Engine Guards Will Fit Dual Spark Engines

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Gavin

Ztechnik Engine Guards Will Fit Dual Spark Engines

Post by Gavin »

I guess the title says it all, but I wanted to point out that the Z7105 Ztechnik Engine Guards do in fact fit on the Dual Spark Engines.

I had a pretty good feeling they would, even though Ztechnik states "Will not work on 2003-2004 models with Dual Spark motor", as the only difference is the lower spark plug protruding from the bottom of the cylinder head very close to the lower attachment point of the guards.

These guards bolt to the same fore/aft locations on the cylinder head (originally T25 Torx bolts, being replaced with M6 Hex bolts)
The bottom flange attachment point is identical to the single spark model, being one of three M6 Hex bolts located behind the lower spark plug (positioned horizontally). The attachment bolt for these guards is closest to the spark plug location, but there is enough room for the spark plug harness to remain connected (I removed it for ease of installation and reattached it afterwards).

With that said, I still have no idea why Ztechnik would state these do not fit on Dual Spark motors, as these guards are far superior in design and appearances to any other options I have seen available, IMO.

I have a 2004 Rockster, which does not have any plastic body panels, so possibly the RT may have a fitment issue...but I doubt it if the single spark RT does not.

I will add some images of my install once I get them on a shared folder.
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Ztechnik Engine Guards Will Fit Dual Spark Engines

Post by riceburner »

Gavin wrote:I guess the title says it all, but I wanted to point out that the Z7105 Ztechnik Engine Guards do in fact fit on the Dual Spark Engines.

I had a pretty good feeling they would, even though Ztechnik states "Will not work on 2003-2004 models with Dual Spark motor", as the only difference is the lower spark plug protruding from the bottom of the cylinder head very close to the lower attachment point of the guards.

These guards bolt to the same fore/aft locations on the cylinder head (originally T25 Torx bolts, being replaced with M6 Hex bolts)
The bottom flange attachment point is identical to the single spark model, being one of three M6 Hex bolts located behind the lower spark plug (positioned horizontally). The attachment bolt for these guards is closest to the spark plug location, but there is enough room for the spark plug harness to remain connected (I removed it for ease of installation and reattached it afterwards).

With that said, I still have no idea why Ztechnik would state these do not fit on Dual Spark motors, as these guards are far superior in design and appearances to any other options I have seen available, IMO.

I have a 2004 Rockster, which does not have any plastic body panels, so possibly the RT may have a fitment issue...but I doubt it if the single spark RT does not.

I will add some images of my install once I get them on a shared folder.

Originally the Dual-Sparks had a plastic cover over the secondary plugs, which I assume the Z-Technik guards would interfere with, and that's probably why they weren't approved.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Interesting..was this cover different from the tupperware guards?
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

Gavin wrote:Interesting..was this cover different from the tupperware guards?
Yes - it was just a small cover that utilised a threaded hole in the head on the other side of the plughole. It was simple a small mug-cover to prevent the plug-cap being covered in gunge and water.

I suspect that a lot of them would have been dumped at the first service by 'under-time-pressure' dealership mechanics and this may have affected the plug's service live over time.

The Rockster wasn't equipped with the GS head guards as standard (Obviously, only the GS was), so these little covers are incompatible (IIRC) with the normal headguards.

When I fitted my Stanton head guards the first time around I trimmed the covers so they could still be used, albeit with only 1 screw holding them in.

Off-hand, I can't actually remember if Rock-4 has them fitted...... but I doubt it as it has the OE GS guards fitted.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Post by kirby »

I bought my '04 new and it has the plastic covers which I have always liked as in easy to remove/install and protects the plug hole to some degree.

The crash bar stuff was handy on my GS (both 1100 and 1150) but have no desire for them on the rock.
Have beveled both head covers on the track. The magnesium is prone to corrosion once there is any damage to the finish. For me the bars would limit lean angle.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER