2001 R1100R Electrical lighting issue.

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1100R.

Moderator: Moderators

hbsocal
Basic User

2001 R1100R Electrical lighting issue.

Post by hbsocal »

Hello fellow oilheads,

My 2001 R1100R has had a strange electrical issue since I bought it about a year ago. The tail light and low beam on the front would not work. I rode for that first season during the day only knowing about this issue which I only realized after I brought the bike home... I blame my Dad who actually picked it up and gave it that "all clear" :) Anyway, after taking a break for several months the battery died. I am currently replacing it and while I'm at it also taking a look at the wiring/electrical issue.

I'm kind of hoping this is something that others have noticed before and that there is some standard fix, I really don't want to have to tear apart the whole electrical system. And before anyone suggests it... I have replaced the bulbs and yes the brake light does work as does the high beam.

Thanks
boxermoose
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: 2001 R1100R Electrical lighting issue.

Post by boxermoose »

Change the headlight bulb, change the tail light bulb.

The headlight H4 bulb has hi/low function so if it works on hi beam this is the simplest check

The tail light is also a dual filament bulb - if the brake light works but not the running light it is also likely that filament is damaged
TANSTAAFL