1998 75th An. R1100R - Help me set it up for touring

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1100R.

Moderator: Moderators

Hank_B
Basic User

Re: 1998 75th An. R1100R - Help me set it up for touring

Post by Hank_B »

I know that this is an old thread, but dang, you do nice work!
chickenlegs
Basic User

Post by chickenlegs »

First off, thanks for the compliment.

Wow, been along time since that bike. The wife and I rode from Bama out to Moab. It was a fun trip and some hard miles on the return trip. I found the minimalist approach was very demanding after long hours in the saddle. Moving forward I sold the R1100R and bought a 2005 R1200ST. I never really 'bonded' to it, and after some mods and an honest attempt to ward off the new bike itch I ended up selling it and giving in to my craving.
The ST before paint:

,,,,and after paint:

So, what was I wanting from this evolvement to a different kind of motorcycle experience? Well it seems everything. Bigger fuel tank, more power, better handling, adjustable windshield, comfort, ammenities, blah, blah, blah, and as most any good saleperson will tell you, 'for just 6 more payments you can go first class'. So with the new bike itch and an internet connection I ended up buying a new bike from Chicago, loaded out, included GPS, service manual, and for less than I could have one bought one local, which included shipping to my door. It seems dealerships that have real winters and big floor plans will deal greatly if you ask for it.
K1600GTL-E

Ive had the bike a year now, and placed about 10K miles on it. Its been an awesome package fulfilling my needs for a bike thats two up, long distance capable.
chickenlegs
Basic User

Post by chickenlegs »

So what do I do with a bike thats basically a turn key package as a long range missle? Well I decided to figure a way to better haul my gear. If you have ever two-up, long distance, camped, then you know that space is a premium and often a trade off to camping in comfort. Plus, it normally turns into an exercise in creative packing each and every time you load, unload the bike, which takes away from the overall experience. I decided to build my own single wheel, fiberglass tub trailer. My experience with pulling a trailer behind a bike has evolved somewhat. My initial entry into the trailer world was building a Harbor Freight/Car Topper trailer that I pulled behind a Roadking. Even though I modified the frame, and axle to better fit the car topper it was without a doubt a less than pleasurable experience. Gas mileage suffered greatly at highway speeds, and bumps in the road where always know by it. After one road trip I sold it.

Next was a Bushtec Turbo 2. I can’t say anything bad about these, purely as good as a two wheel trailer gets! I did a little custom work with paint and lighting to better match the Roadglide I pulled it with. Once tired of the bike I sold it with it. The only bad thing is that with more room, one will tend to load more things and a Bushtec will swallow a lot of things one could probably leave at home.

With the purchase of another bike, I again found myself needing the cargo room offered by a trailer and while I had entertained the idea of simply buying another Bushtec, I thought I’d exercise my artsy side and challenge myself with the project of blending form and function in a single wheel platform that would be large enough to offer comfortable amenities while camping, but not so large as to be cumbersome and overshadowing my two wheel experience. It tucks in behind the bike nicely, can go thru a door way, and weighs in dry at 100lbs.

Ive still got to finish the interior, adding gas shocks, carpet, and interior lighting but its ready for some use and hopefully its without issue.

Right side:

Left side:

Left side:

Rear:

Right rear:
chickenlegs
Basic User

Post by chickenlegs »

I ended up dragging this thing from Bama to Glacier and back. It was a great experience. It loads easy, pulls great, and doesnt take away from the two-wheel experience. Plus once you set up camp or grap a hotel room, its easy to unhook and place inside.
Glacier

Inside hotel room:
SmittyBlackstone
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by SmittyBlackstone »

Sorry to refer to a very old post, but on your orange Harley, is that a solar panel set in the lid of the Tour-pak?