Do I need these at 12K Service?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

LeonardoNYC
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Do I need these at 12K Service?

Post by LeonardoNYC »

Happy ands Healthy 2016 to everyone here.

I am about 1,000 miles past the 12K service. 2009 R12R bought new in 2011 as a left over. Bike is at the dealer now and they called and said they suggest the following
BMW recommends the following fluid service

Bevel Gears (Final Drive) - every 2 years or 12,000 miles $74

Gearbox – initially after 1st year then every 2 years or 24,000 miles $79

Brake Fluid – every 2 years $99
(these are all parts and Labor US$)

I love my dealer but also respect your opinions here. Do I really need these additional services in addition to the normal 12K service? I am already expecting a $600 bill and would rather not add anything unnecessary.

Grazie.
mogu83
Lifer

Re: Do I need these at 12K Service?

Post by mogu83 »

Your due, both for the time and the mileage.
I would go by the mileage but if you don't use the bike a lot then you might want to change the fluids sooner. Brake fluid goes bad without moving the bike and problems are expensive. The grearbox and drive are fairly easy to do, you might want to learn how to do it or find a friend. Those prices are high, for something that could be done in the driveway. The brakes are a different matter, best left to the dealer if your not sure of what your doing.

Narurally IMHO - I usually sell my bike with 100K on them and the drive and gearbox are OK.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
Karamazov
Lifer
Donating Member #: 540

Post by Karamazov »

I don't think they're actively trying to screw you, if that's what you're asking. They plug it in, and a computer tells them what items are due on your bike (based on mileage, time elapsed, and last service). I'm assuming you had your 6k service performed at a dealer, but you haven't indicated what's been performed since 2011 when you bought the bike. If the bike hasn't been serviced in the past 2 years, then you absolutely need these additional fluid changes.
N8
- '14 Dark White
- '14 R NineT
- '12 R1200R Classic
- '07 R1200R (Caged)
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

Leonardo,

The fluids are due - especially the brake fluid if it's never been flushed is way overdue. The prices aren't out of line - the dealer isn't a charity - it takes money to keep the shop open, pay the taxes, pay the techs. The labor rate is likely around $100/hour - which seems high until you start looking at how much of that goes to overhead.

Yes - you can save $$ by DIY - I generally do everything except warranty/recall work on my bike myself - but it also requires the space to do it in, the tools to do it with, and someplace to safely dispose of the waste fluids. I can't imagine that's too easy to find in NYC (although Wolfs Garage does provide some working space for people who rent space from them.) And it's not counting the training or instruction needed to undertake the jobs safely.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
LeonardoNYC
Basic User

Post by LeonardoNYC »

Thanks All,
I never thought they were trying to screw me. I just know that "bmw recommends" can sometimes be ambiguous as I have learned here. And it wasn't "required" in the 12K service PDF I have seen , but I did get all three done and bike will be back tomorrow. I love my dealership --MaxBMW in CT know they would never screw me.

be safe and happy everyone.