Handlebar Grip Rubber

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

AZBMWRIDER
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Handlebar Grip Rubber

Post by AZBMWRIDER »

Both hand grip rubber is worn through on my '02 R .
I looked at the parts catalog and from what I can tell, if you have heated grips you need to replace the entire grip for around $130 each, it does state if you don't have heated grips the cost is around $47 each .
Does anyone know, can you just buy the rubber for the heated grips ??
'02 R1150R, Atlanta Blue
Been riding since 1979, BMW's since 1981 .
4 R65's, '87 Guzzi V65 Lario .
trickytree
Donating Member #: 1159

Re: Handlebar Grip Rubber

Post by trickytree »

How about sticking some grip puppy's on?
turrider
Basic User

Post by turrider »

2005 R1150R
1953 R51/3
1951 R25
1985 Vespa PX 200e
"eppur si muove"
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

The heating elements are bonded to the inside of the rubber - hence why you can't 'just' replace the rubber bit if you're going OE.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
jwagreen
Basic User

Post by jwagreen »

I was able replace my heated grips with part 7290612 for $37.95 for the pair from http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorc ... 90612.html

Wunderlichamerica has them My old grips came off easy and the new ones slipped on with no problem and the heating still works.
jwagreen
Basic User

Post by jwagreen »

ron prior
Basic User

Post by ron prior »

riceburner wrote:The heating elements are bonded to the inside of the rubber - hence why you can't 'just' replace the rubber bit if you're going OE.

Actually you can, I was able to make a shallow 'slit' in the rubber and the tear it gently off. Saving the heat element . I did this on my "K" bike, intend to do the same to my "R" , and on it, I want to try a pair of the old 'barrel' style grips.......
scouse
Basic User

Post by scouse »

This video shows how easy it is to remove and replace the grips with the aid of compressed air... language gets a bit "colorful" at times but interesting viewing ... https://youtu.be/NBX2qWHfHHc
milehighboater
Basic User

Post by milehighboater »

I too have removed the rubber from my heated grips. I thought I had a break in the circuit so I pulled the rubber off just to find that it was a zip tie... just be light with an exacto knife, they are only attached for about .5 inch on the end. Take your time and have a sharp blade.
AZBMWRIDER
Basic User

Post by AZBMWRIDER »

I just put on a set of Wunderlich spiral grips .
The old grips had disbonded and came off after I took the bar ends off .
Thanks for the information !!!!!!! :D
'02 R1150R, Atlanta Blue
Been riding since 1979, BMW's since 1981 .
4 R65's, '87 Guzzi V65 Lario .
sykospain

Post by sykospain »

Yes, riceburner - the rubber grips needed for replacement are made in Italy by Ariete and are widely available for not a terrible amount of loot - naturally a fraction of what the Greedy Berlin Pig wants for them.
And 'bonded to the heating element' is not quite right.
The factory glue is only a few drops at each end of the inside of the rubber on the existing grips, so...as pointed out above, a very, very, very sharp box cutter or brand-new safety razor blade ( "Ever Ready" brand with the reinforced back strip - Boots the Chemist ) judiciously used so as not to slit right through and damage the thin heating wires, makes the worn-rubber grips not too difficult to remove and replace with either Ariete ones, which look exactly like OEM Greedy-Berlin-Pig ones, or the luxurious and super-comfy US-made Grip Puppies.
AL in s.e. Spain
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer

Post by CycleRob »

I too must have large diameter handlebar grips. In the first year ownership of my 2009 F800ST with heated grips I installed bicycle handgrip wrap foam rubber cushion made by Bontrager (purchased in a local, dedicated bicycle shop) to quell remaining vibration and mainly to increase the grip diameter. It has a narrow center band glue area with a full length peel-n-stick underside. I very carefully added a 2 inch long application of SuperGlue for maximum retention strength to the starting and finally the ending portion, which had to be precut on a gradual angle coming to a "scissor blade" shaped point so the ends do not bulge more than the middle. I say very carefully added, because as you may know, when using SuperGlue between rubber parts, ANY rubber-rubber contact literally bonds instantly, so you only get one try. The gradual angle taper off cut was about 4 inches long, matching a little over one turn at each end of the hand grip surface end. Examining the pic closely I see that I started at the left side of the grip and waited for the SuperGlue to bond solidly before continuing the winding so the spiral winding would be tight. Continue stretching the flat foam strip tightly, overlapping by half the width until the left portion of the band hits the end, where after cutting off the excess you will have to create another "scissor blade end". From that end point unravel 5 inches to scissor cut an identical 4 inch long taper, coat the underside with SuperGlue, then carefully wind it down tight with a cloth barrier. It is now 7 years and 28,000 miles later and it still looks OK.

The $12 boxed roll has enough foam rubber strip to do both grips twice -and- the larger diameter grip surface is VERY "Grippy". It does slow down the heat transfer slightly, still making full heat available, just taking a little bit longer to attain it.

Last edited by CycleRob on Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Post by Buckster »

I have been very happy with the Grip Puppies! I'm on my second set. I wanted a thicker grip as I felt the stock grips felt too thin in diameter. Stock rubber is still underneath.
Buckster '03R