Glad to see the site is back up

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Photoguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 678

Glad to see the site is back up

Post by Photoguy »

I was having withdrawal symptoms ;)

=D> =D>
gregor
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Glad to see the site is back up

Post by gregor »

Not half. I tried to find an alternative site with the same level of chat and information for the oil heads. Mostly for GS owners. 🙄
2002 black 180 degree single spark V twin
swamper
Basic User

Post by swamper »

Me Too.
02R1150R,02R1150Rabs,04R1150R :D 02R1100S,05R1100S(BCR), :shock: (2)-S1000XR :smt003
IBA#7147
Sunbeemer
Basic User
Donating Member #: 593

Post by Sunbeemer »

=D> =D> =D>
Rich
ADIOS!
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

Me too!!

I was afraid Doug had finally had enough of maintaining this site. I'm a lifer of course but it's been a long time since I contributed monetarily to this site. I need to change that. This has been my favorite go-to site since I guess 2003 when I bought my first R.

Had my check-up with my orthopedic surgeon yesterday concerning my broken leg from July 1. He tells me he thinks I'm probably a month ahead of healing progress compared to most. I'm thinking the opposite but I'm comparing this break to when I broke my left leg 12 years ago on my '04 R. That one earned me some expensive hardware below the knee. I had strapped a cane on the back at 7 weeks and was riding again. 12 years older sure seems to make a difference. I'm in a walking boot and really can't walk without that extra support. I start P/T this Saturday so maybe if I'm a good boy the motorcycle won't be too far off in the future. I really need to get some riding in for the fall. The Blue Ridge Parkway as well as the Skyline Drive is calling my name!
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
swamper
Basic User

Post by swamper »

Good to hear from you TW, hope you'll be able to get back riding soon.
02R1150R,02R1150Rabs,04R1150R :D 02R1100S,05R1100S(BCR), :shock: (2)-S1000XR :smt003
IBA#7147
Doug
Site Admin
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Doug »

Hi guys, I almost did give up! :)

Wow, this has been a whirlwind couple weeks with the site. Please accept my apologies for the occasional downtime as we sorted it out. We have been under some pretty serious attacks from spammers and it actually brought the isp down, then they cut us off, and I had to find all sorts of ways to mitigate it, pay some guys to update the forum, spend hours erasing 100K spam user accounts (still not done with that) and about 50K posts awaiting approval (I and the mods personally approve every new user's post as a way to combat spam getting on the forum - you don't see it, and its a big ongoing task!). I've also added a new DNS service that attempts to block spam users before they come in. This has been an intensely time consuming and expensive endeavor!

I'd really encourage all new users (or those in withdrawal) to consider donating - http://www.r1150r.org/contact.html . We could really use the cash because the site donations do not even cover the ISP bill anymore. It comes out of my pocket which is hard, but I feel an obligation to keep the site up for lifer members, and I think a lot of folks really value the information here. The posters here over the years have really created an excellent refence site for these bikes that would be a shame to go to waste.

I have considered making the site members only and essentially shutting it down by removing access for all except members which would bring down the traffic and the associated ISP costs to make it maintainable again. We get more traffic now, but just don't get the memberships we used to, and I do take some responsibility for the lack of advertisements etc, but I really didn't want to go that route because I think it ruins the experience. I also hate begging (like I am now). I've always said the internet should be free, but its just too much for me these days. If anyone has any other ideas or energy to bring in funds, I'm all ears!

Thanks for all you do by contributing and keeping the spirit alive. It warms my heart to know the site is still providing value after 19 years! Yes, 19, I had to go look that up. :)

Tower hope you have a speedy recovery my friend!

Cheers all.
Member #1
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Thanks Doug for keeping the dream alive.
I've added the annual $25 subscription to help, on top of my previous lifer donations.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Will be subscribing asap.
Is there an option to "donate" as well? Might be worth looking into.

Re the Membership system i wonder if there's any way to lock it down but be able to send invites to emails that current members provide? So we as members can recommend people we know are genuine. Worth a thought maybe?
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
gregor
Lifer

Post by gregor »

I'd like to make a one off donation via a debit card. Is it possible?
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Are we back again?
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Photoguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 678

Post by Photoguy »

I'm happy to donate as well as I haven't in a long time. But, maybe it would be good to have a separate thread or a board wide sticky so that everybody can see the 'plan' aside from those that happen to stumble into this particular thread? as in some kind of organized discussion/response?

also, thanks Doug for all that you do and all that you have done. This site makes owning an R much more enjoyable.

-Gary
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by CycleRob »

Doug & Moderators,
I was wondering what happened. Like my signature says I've been a free side member since 9-10-2001, the day before the 9-11 attacks. Since that time I have enjoyed reading and contributing toward the solutions. Apparently the contribution was really appreciated and many years ago I was gifted a LifeTime Membership by Doug. Wow, Thanks Doug! Lately, when my contributions to the R1150R, F800 and Off Topic sections have slowed way down, its a good time to pay for that LTM with the $60 charge to my Visa tonight. Winter time usually is when much of the bike work occurs for guys/gals with garages/basements/sheds and tools nearby . . . and I am always ready.
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
swamper
Basic User

Post by swamper »

Doug:
I'm trying to charge my donation/lifetime $60.00 to pay-pal on the support site. When I hit Donate the window goes to this: www.paypal.com refused to connect. I'll keep trying but it's done this four times now. I've logged in and out a couple of times but still having the problem.
IBA#7147
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Site's up and down again.

Doug - is it better if we limit our visits??

(Hope the donations are coming in and are helping btw!)
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
gregor
Lifer

Post by gregor »

I managed to donate at the third attempt.
Thanks Doug
"gregor"