Best replacement touring windscreen?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Ridgered
Basic User

Best replacement touring windscreen?

Post by Ridgered »

I need to replace the stock touring windshield on my 2002 R1150R - long story short, I missed the bear but hit the ditch. Any advice on sourcing another original, or on other options?

Bill M
2002 R 1150 R
My Blue Beauty
Bill M
2002 R 1150 R
My Blue Beauty
f4tweet
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Best replacement touring windscreen?

Post by f4tweet »

The Parabellum works for me.
"We're surrounded, that simplifies our problem."-Chesty Puller

02 R1150R Black
Ridgered
Basic User

Post by Ridgered »

Thanks for the quick reply. I ride two up quite a lot and found buffeting was an issue at highway speeds for both me and the pillion rider with the original. Do you know if the Parabellum uses stock mounts (I'll go to their site and check but always treasure the advice of other owners)? And Happy New Year from north of the border!

Cheers
Bill M
Bill M
2002 R 1150 R
My Blue Beauty
Keppelj
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Keppelj »

ZTechnic is the original source of both the Sport and Touring R1150R screens. Dpn't know what the arrangement is but I was told by the Seattle dealer that they were one and the same and that ZT was the original designer. Here's the Touring Screen at an independent seller:
http://shop.nationalcycle.com/perl/cycl ... l=bm%2d025

You'll find it by looking under R1150r Roadster on the ZTechnc site also. I didn't notice the Sport screen there but I bought both from them a couple years ago. They are also a better (than BMW MC) source for the rubber inserts for the mounting hardware as they sell the right longish lengths.
Airman
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by Airman »

Ridgered wrote:I need to replace the stock touring windshield on my 2002 R1150R - long story short, I missed the bear but hit the ditch. Any advice on sourcing another original, or on other options?

Bill M
2002 R 1150 R
My Blue Beauty
I was also looking for an option to the stock touring screen because of the buffeting. I bought a euro cut 22.5 C Baileys screen. I had it on for a couple of years. It's a little better than stock, but I had a little tipover in the driveway last fall, and the thing broke a big chuck right off. Unrepairable. Evidently C Baileys uses 3/16" acrylic and the stuff is pretty brittle. I put the stock screen back on. It's thicker, stiffer, and I think it's made of Lexan. Near as I can tell there's no really good touring screen. I like the bike for my around the area rides, but I have decided to buy a real touring bike for touring later this year.

2003 R1150R
I don't get caught in the rain, I ride in it on purpose.
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Post by Buckster »

The Parabellum uses it's own mounts. It will not work on OEM mounts. Like Airman said, there is no perfect shield for touring. I still use my Parabellum in the winter although I severely modified mine.
Buckster '03R
Ridgered
Basic User

Post by Ridgered »

Thanks for the input, folks, and Happy New Year!

Airman: you are two years ahead of me. When I retire at the end of 2015, I will be looking for a more dedicated tourer for longer trips. Love my R, but would welcome a bit more luxury (as would my wife, good sport though she is) for the long hauls.

Cheers
BM
2002 R 1150 R
My Blue Beauty
Rags
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Rags »

I got a Laminar lip for my touring shield and handlebar muffs

It divides the airflow - directs some over original curve - the balance over the Laminar curve

It also reduces the vacuum effect on the inside of the screen at speed.

Rags