Search found 25 matches

by lowflying
Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:32 pm
Forum: R1200R (2006-2014)
Topic: Thoughts On Squeezing Every Ounce of Battery Life
Replies: 20
Views: 4302

Thoughts On Squeezing Every Ounce of Battery Life

In a word: DON'T. My OEM '07 R12R battery finally gave up the ghost. But I was caught offguard because I didn't realize how this bike works. Some of you will be well aware of this and I probably came across the info reading this site but for some reason it didn't sink in. I knew my battery was due f...
by lowflying
Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:33 pm
Forum: R1200R (2006-2014)
Topic: How to choose a personal injury lawyer?
Replies: 12
Views: 3180

Re: How to choose a personal injury lawyer?

Just my $0.02. Having been through a divorce, I have learned firsthand that just because something is allowed according to law, that doesn't necessarily equate to it being morally right or right according to what just plain "seems fair". What that means for you in your case is for you to j...
by lowflying
Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:01 am
Forum: R1200R (2006-2014)
Topic: Clunking in the gearbox
Replies: 9
Views: 1759

Re: Clunking in the gearbox

I wouldn't worry. I've got an '07 that I've put 20000km on. It's always been the same. When I ride slow in first, I get a bit of clunking when letting the clutch out. If I try my damndest to be really smooth it's not so bad. I think it's to do with the amount of lash in the drivetrain but it has bee...
by lowflying
Sat May 16, 2009 1:21 am
Forum: R1200R (2006-2014)
Topic: Another windshield dissapointment
Replies: 16
Views: 3332

Re: Another windshield dissapointment

Maybe it's too much to expect from the R. Maybe an RT is what you're after. If not, then a certain amount of "embracing the naked bike experience" might be in order. The R is a good bike but it is what it is.

Cheers.
by lowflying
Fri May 15, 2009 10:43 pm
Forum: R1200R (2006-2014)
Topic: So tell me all about why this bike is great...
Replies: 21
Views: 4542

Re: So tell me all about why this bike is great...

A test ride will tell you all. I test rode one while trying to bargain for a new F800St about 18 months ago. They were newish then, the economy was good and they weren't interested in bargaining. I took a 1400km example of an R12R for a ride as a break from the haggling, knowing full well (!) that I...
by lowflying
Mon May 11, 2009 7:27 pm
Forum: R1200R (2006-2014)
Topic: Dead R1200R
Replies: 23
Views: 3436

Re: Dead R1200R

Such stress can be alleviated by having a back-up bike. :D
by lowflying
Mon May 11, 2009 7:24 pm
Forum: R1200R (2006-2014)
Topic: Went for a ride the other day...
Replies: 9
Views: 2255

Re: Went for a ride the other day...

That's where all the grey hair comes from. Constantly worried about getting busted...
by lowflying
Mon May 11, 2009 5:41 pm
Forum: R1200R (2006-2014)
Topic: Went for a ride the other day...
Replies: 9
Views: 2255

Re: Went for a ride the other day...

You mean, like this?

Image

Cheers. :D
by lowflying
Sun May 10, 2009 4:49 pm
Forum: R1200R (2006-2014)
Topic: Went for a ride the other day...
Replies: 9
Views: 2255

Re: Went for a ride the other day...

It's hard to see from the pic but it's the one from BMW, which wasn't cheap of course. But it's keyed to the ignition key, works very well with the BMW rack and I'm happy with it. Thanks Bobby for sorting the photo for me. First time I've tried to put one up on the website and didn't really have a c...
by lowflying
Sun May 10, 2009 6:36 am
Forum: R1200R (2006-2014)
Topic: Went for a ride the other day...
Replies: 9
Views: 2255

Went for a ride the other day...

Chick it out. (Hope this works...)

[img][IMG]http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu3/ ... 09_004.jpg[/img][/img]
by lowflying
Sat May 09, 2009 2:31 am
Forum: R1200R (2006-2014)
Topic: Bike feels awkward at walking speeds.
Replies: 17
Views: 3241

Re: Bike feels awkward at walking speeds.

Uh, sorry about the triple-post. Computer bogged down and I thought it wasn't responding...
by lowflying
Sat May 09, 2009 2:26 am
Forum: R1200R (2006-2014)
Topic: Bike feels awkward at walking speeds.
Replies: 17
Views: 3241

Re: Bike feels awkward at walking speeds.

Hi Dale, I agree the brakes can be touchy. I can't tell from your post if you're already doing this, but maybe you'll find the bike a lot easier to manage if you use the back brake alone when going slow. As an aside, I don't know if others do this, but whenever I come to a complete stop I transition...
by lowflying
Sat May 09, 2009 2:26 am
Forum: R1200R (2006-2014)
Topic: Bike feels awkward at walking speeds.
Replies: 17
Views: 3241

Re: Bike feels awkward at walking speeds.

Hi Dale, I agree the brakes can be touchy. I can't tell from your post if you're already doing this, but maybe you'll find the bike a lot easier to manage if you use the back brake alone when going slow. As an aside, I don't know if others do this, but whenever I come to a complete stop I transition...
by lowflying
Sat May 09, 2009 2:25 am
Forum: R1200R (2006-2014)
Topic: Bike feels awkward at walking speeds.
Replies: 17
Views: 3241

Re: Bike feels awkward at walking speeds.

Hi Dale, I agree the brakes can be touchy. I can't tell from your post if you're already doing this, but maybe you'll find the bike a lot easier to manage if you use the back brake alone when going slow. As an aside, I don't know if others do this, but whenever I come to a complete stop I transition...
by lowflying
Tue May 05, 2009 3:17 am
Forum: R1200R (2006-2014)
Topic: Why the R1200R?
Replies: 76
Views: 16701

Re: Why the R1200R?

Good...and...Bad! Good: I can echo a lot of the comments above. I was trying to cut a deal on an F800ST and was having no luck getting down to a figure I was happy with. To kill time mostly, I took a slightly used R1200R for a ride. I always thought they were an old man's bike and absolutely knew I ...
by lowflying
Fri May 01, 2009 2:22 am
Forum: R1200R (2006-2014)
Topic: Bargain on Michelin Pilot Road 2's in Sydney
Replies: 3
Views: 1318

Re: Bargain on Michelin Pilot Road 2's in Sydney

Penrith is an excuse for a bit of a ride for me from near Cronulla. From Sydney you would head west on the Great Western Highway (passes Homebush) towards the Blue Mountains. Penrith is a bit further west than and south of Windsor. The Bells Line heads west from Richmond. No marks on my wheels from ...
by lowflying
Fri May 01, 2009 12:41 am
Forum: R1200R (2006-2014)
Topic: Bargain on Michelin Pilot Road 2's in Sydney
Replies: 3
Views: 1318

Bargain on Michelin Pilot Road 2's in Sydney

I just happened to be ready for a new set of tires when I noticed the ad in Cycle Torque. Western Motorcycles at Penrith is offering Michelin Pilot Road 2's (120/70-17 and 180/55-17), balanced and installed for Aus $399 the pair, while in stock. Worth the ride out there. They've got a lot of bikes i...
by lowflying
Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:46 pm
Forum: R1200R (2006-2014)
Topic: Replacement rear brake rotor
Replies: 17
Views: 3996

Re: Replacement rear brake rotor

Anyway, I just got back from the dealer. Fitting new rear pads plus an oil and filter change set me back $315(Australian)! The original BMW pads were 144 bucks a pair.

I'm a bit shocked...
by lowflying
Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:44 pm
Forum: R1200R (2006-2014)
Topic: Replacement rear brake rotor
Replies: 17
Views: 3996

Re: Replacement rear brake rotor

Thanks Don. I just wonder why they would do that. Why would I want the inboard one to be down to the backing plate and the outboard one still having good material left? If they do make them different thicknesses wouldn't that be the outcome every time? Took it into my dealer today. He said that the ...
by lowflying
Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:56 am
Forum: R1200R (2006-2014)
Topic: Replacement rear brake rotor
Replies: 17
Views: 3996

Re: Replacement rear brake rotor

Hmm. I noticed Paul-from-VA's post (30 Oct 08) above and did another inspection. It seems I may have a different problem then he did as my "L-shaped pin" looks to be pointing inboard (away from the driveshaft) and is inboard of the inboard pad backing plate. Is that as it should be? I'm st...