Engine whirr/whine

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Dgdecker
Donating Member #: 1

Engine whirr/whine

Post by Dgdecker »

I’m new to BMW’s & have a 2004 r1150r, 26,000 miles. Running very well But have a whirring noise seemingly from the left side of the motor between 3100-3500 rpms. Sound is not there below or above that range. Is this “normal” or indicative of a problem developing? Thanks for any advice.
Photoguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 678

Re: Engine whirr/whine

Post by Photoguy »

Hey there- Just popping in to say that as far as I'm aware I don't have that kind of noise, at least not the I've ever noticed wearing a FF helmet. I always felt these engines had kind of a sewing machine whir to them (exhaust note aside). Maybe posting a video could be helpful for somebody to shed more light than I can?
sstein
Donating Member #: 25

Post by sstein »

if it rides fine probably ok
2002 R1150R
"Better is the enemy of good enough"
- my brother-in-law's brother
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

Dgdecker wrote:I’m new to BMW’s & have a 2004 r1150r, 26,000 miles. Running very well But have a whirring noise seemingly from the left side of the motor between 3100-3500 rpms. Sound is not there below or above that range. Is this “normal” or indicative of a problem developing? Thanks for any advice.
it COULD (possibly) be a symptom of an older (less efficient) cam-chain tensioner on that side? IIRC the tensioner that needs to be upgraded is on that side of the bike.

The upgrade (IIRC) is for a tensioner that doesn't leak oil out of it's reservoir when the engine is not running (the tensioners are pressurised by the oil-pump)
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
gregor
Lifer

Post by gregor »

I found that 20/50 oil quietened mine considerably. You can head the chain slapping for a few beats until the oil pressure builds up after an oil change.
2002 black 180 degree single spark V twin
gregor
Lifer

Post by gregor »

I found that 20/50 oil quietened mine considerably. You can hear the chain slapping for a few beats until the oil pressure builds up after an oil change.
2002 black 180 degree single spark V twin
Calidor67
Basic User

Post by Calidor67 »

Cam chain tensioner was my guess too, but mine isn't a whirr. Well, maybe it sounds like that at speed, but I am deaf on that side. Coincidence: I just ordered the upgraded tensioner from EME this morning.
Dgdecker

Post by Dgdecker »

Thanks all, I’ll look into the tensioner - I recall seeing information on here about how to check if still old style.
Dgdecker

Post by Dgdecker »

Yup, I have the old tensioner- 17mm hex head. I’ve ordered the upgrade from beemerboneyard. We’ll see if that fixes it, needs to be done anyway.
Dgdecker

Post by Dgdecker »

Installed updated tensioner left side, Engine noise remained the the same. Let my Indy listen and he said it sounded typical to him - so I’m just gonna ignore and ride it unless it worsens. Good to have the new tensioner installed anyway.