Wouldn't Start

The sexy K1200R!

Moderator: Moderators

whiteknight
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Wouldn't Start

Post by whiteknight »

I rode to the gym where the bike sat for about 90 minutes. When I came out to start it, the engine would run for a second, then quit. It did this twice, then would just turn over, as if fuel-starved. I tried to gas it, but this didn't work either. I waited for about another 20 minutes, and started flicking the kill switch back and forth. It started, so I thought bad kill switch, which I'll just have replaced at A&S. I thought I was stranded and was about to call a tow truck. When I got home I tried to start it with the kill switch set to off, but this results in no cranking at all. So now I'm thinking software glitch.

I have 7.0.
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by DJ Downunder »

Ooops..just realized I'm on the K1200R section...just ignore my suggestions below.

DJ
It's all very odd...here's a few things to try.

Side stand up..maybe check the switch.

Bike in neutral..even when in gear and the clutch is in it can be a problem sometimes.

It may be a fuel thing..how old is the fuel filter.

One last thing that I can think of...a possible break in the wires caused by too tight cable ties..just where they exit from under the tank..right side.

Moving the bars left and right may cause the problem to come and go.

I'm sure others may have other ideas.
Last edited by DJ Downunder on Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DSKYZD
Lifer
Donating Member #: 187

Post by DSKYZD »

Vapor lock? Engine heat evaporating fuel in the lines? Winter fuel mix and warm weather?

I've experienced a similar problem with my black R1150R where I go out to start it after it sets in the sun at work all day. I'm convinced it has to do with the gas tank or gas lines creating some sort of vacuum.

If it happens again, one thing to try would be opening the gas cap in an attempt to equalize any pressure difference.

Since you have a K bike I realize this is not as likely to be your problem.

DSKYZD
JOURNEY JUNKIE #187
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Post by boxermania »

Good call Brian.....most of current fuel injections have a bypass line to the tank to keep the lines cool during operation (the gasoline flow carries away the heat)

On the other hand as the engine stops, read the bike is shut off) the fuel pump usually has a check valve on the discharge lie that will keep the fuel lines pressurized and therefore offering protection against the fuel vaporizing.

Sometimes the check valve leaks a bit and will not hold the pressure and the result will be the dreaded vaporization.

In this case and being the bike fairly new I think he has a more difficult to diagnose problem, of the intermitent kind.......I wish him good luck. 8)
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX
trknomo
Basic User

Post by trknomo »

I have something similar that happens with my bike, but not as bad. Alot of times when I go to start it and hit the start button, nothing at all happens. I wiggle the button, turn the key off and on and usually starts after doing this 2 or 3 times.

Mentioned it on last service but said it didn't happen with them, so I guess between this and stalling after riding for more than an hour (sometimes) I'm plagued with 2 problems that BMW can't find.